• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Shinies! (And shiny fails)

Years
Have you ever had that moment when you see the pokemon sliding in, and that magical sound of it shimmering?

Or have you ever felt the pain of not having any more poke balls, or accidentally knocking out the pokemon?

What about that glorious moment when you've been soft resetting or encountering forever, and finally find that one shiny you've been looking for!

This thread is for all those screams of joy about shinies, or facepalms for knocking them out. :)

I myself have gotten a few shinies just randomly, and once killed a shiny boldore after running out of poke balls. >:( I'm currently trying to get a shiny charmander in my firered, to no luck after 3 days.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Golden Rattata in Silver... no pokeballs... orz

I knew that time it was rare (common sense, a feeling, instinct... whatever you wanna call it, i suppose)... It was also my first shiny encounter ever.

Second was a shiny Ursaring while finding a Sneasel in Mt. Silver. That one, i did catch. Traded a clone of it (using the box glitch) for my cousin's Blue Nidoking. Those are my most memorable shiny encounters. Rest took years/RNG manipulation to get... and it wasn't as exciting anymore.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
The first shiny Pokemon I ever encountered was in Ruby where it was a Zubat in the Cave of Origin. It was also my first and only shiny fail because I was out of Pokeballs. :(

My second shiny Pokemon was a Shiny Weedle in FireRed. Caught that sucker good. In the same game and same exact save file a few areas later, I encountered a Shiny Geodude in the Rock Tunnel.

Eventually in Pokemon Platinum, which was my last encounter, I found a Shiny Kricketune.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I've never actually captured a shiny before other than the Red Gyarados. However I have encountered one and this story has been retold so many times that it's starting to sound like a broken record on loop. Either way here's how the story goes:

I was training in Iron Island, one uneventful day and had been levelling up my Empoleon on the wild Gravelers/Onixs and other things that roamed around the area. I had been doing this for a good hour or so while Riley was waiting downstairs for me to come and help him beat the Team Galactic Grunts. After walking around for a while, I finally heard the familiar wild encounter music. I was just expecting another regular Pokemon when I heard a tinker, I looked down and saw a golden Graveler.

I frowned at it, since I hadn't heard of shinies at that point. I thought it could of been a glitch but then I decided that wasn't right. I called to my sister and she came over. Her eyes grew wide and I asked what was the matter. At that moment, I was like.. yeah my game is definitely stuffed up. All my hard work gone. But instead she explained that it was a shiny Pokemon, a Pokemon that is distinctly coloured from its regular design and incredibly rare. I liked the sound of that. Forgetting completely that Empoleon had 4x effective moves against Graveler (I was eight), I used Surf.

Not surprisingly it knocked it out along with a critical hit. I remember throwing a fit to be honest. Nowadays it's just a lesson that I've taught myself- never use 4x effective moves on a shiny. It's also quite funny to look back on. But no I've never caught a shiny, but I have had an experience with one.

Years
The first ever Shiny I caught in a Pokemon game was a Duskull in Ruby. Female with Serious nature, she still sits in my PC to this day. I eventually also caught a shiny Unown (U Form), Graveler and Budew in Diamond, a Farfetch'd in SoulSilver (along with another shiny Graveler) and also a Drilbur in Black, who since evolved into Excadrill.

I also have the Red Gyarados in SoulSilver but aside from that, every shiny I caught was found by random encounter. Didn't even do complex stuff like RNG or anything. As for KO'ing any shinies, I haven't done so, but I did run away from two shinies - a Lotad in Sapphire and a Boldore in Black.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
My recently caught shiny was a Wooper on my Diamond Version, I encountered it at the Great Marsh of all places... It broke free on the first go, but it remained 'watching carefully' so I threw another Safari Ball which then caught it!

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
My recent shiny was my starter Treecko. I have been resetting my Pokemon Emerald to get the right nature for my starter Pokemon then it appeared in a flash of shimmering stars. I also realised I had factory resetted the same game in which I received Pokerus from the second Pokemon Centre i.e the one in Petalburg City.

Years
I've never even encountered a shiny except the Red Gyarados (I'll get round to Haxorus soon enough as well) and it honestly annoys me considering the amount of time I've invested in the game series. The only time I've really attempted to specifically find one was an attempt at chaining Shinx in Diamond, but unfortunately no success.

I remember lying about finding some shinies in the Shiny Hunters Club on here a long, long time ago (I was very young when I signed up) and I can't really think why I did that at all, but it's something to look back at and laugh these days. :P

The only time I've seen a shiny other than interact able ones was when my friend's little brother ran into a shiny Taillow. He was about 7 at the time and just ran away from it without even realising anything special had happened.

rageahollic33

Roserade is the best
Years
I have a pretty funny story for when i was catching a shiny parasect. I was playing crystal and I was on my way up to fight red on Mt. silver and just right before just one pixel before i fought red. The shiny Parasect appeared. Just right before i got to red I thought it was pretty funny. I did catch it and it was weak but it was worth catching.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2015
I have encountered one shiny in my life, it was a zigzagoon (you can barely tell on those) and I did manage to catch it, it's also the only pokemon from my old games I didn't trade over to my white before it broke, so I've still got a pretty useless shiny lv 100 Linoone sitting in a box with nothing else.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I just fainted a shiny Steelix!! I ran into it in Victory Road on my Platinum version. I was weakening it with Garchomp, it's Dragon Claw was basically doing nothing to it, it was using curse to up it's defense. Nek minnut my Garchomp lands a critical hit!! Can someone please tell me how the hell did Garchomp break it's huge defense from half health with only one Dragon Claw? It was only taking away 1/6th of Steelix's HP then all of a sudden it's 1/2 with a critical hit. I thought it was only double damage... *sigh*

POCKYM0NSTAH

Shoop
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2019
I caught a Shiny Mareep and ever since then my favorite pokemon turned into ampharos and once I found a shiny geodude and it used selfdestruct.....

ShinyNuzLover

What're you lookin' at?
Years
First shiny ever was a Klink now a fully evolved, gold Klinklang. First shiny fail- shiny Golbat, forgot to save and game froze. End of story.

Years
i was playing Emerald on a GBA emulator, training my recently catched Poochyena when SUDDENLY, FOR MY FIRST TIME, I! FOUND! A! SHINY! ...Zigzagoon. But it was shiny! And! I catched it! That felt amazing, and shouted all girly seeing the differences between the normal one and mine!
.....................But something bad happened... No, I didn't not save! See, my friend and I wanted to do some walkthroughs and were chatting about it. As I was chatting I forgot completely about my shiny Zigzagoon that I told my friend I captured earlier, and then I told him that I would do a Pokémon Emerald walkthrough. ...Guess what I did...
I started a new game to do my walkthrough. And as the 1st part went on I off-screen trained my Torchic, and mid-training, I found a Zigzagoon. I remembered the one I captured, and by remembering THAT, I then remembered that my Shiny Zigzagoon was in the file I deleted!
Great work, me...
I love using colours! (I'm a guy.)

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
My first shiny was a RE Bidoof on Diamond version. I didn't care much, but knew it was kind of rare, so I caught it.
Then forgot and deleted the save file. Doesn't bother me, though, honestly.

After that was either a SR'd Chikorita or a RE Golbat (still have both). Later I caught a shiny Ralts (male) through chaining and a RE shiny Ponyta.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I ran from a shiny Sableye in Sapphire, a shiny Shellder in FireRed, a shiny Machop in LeafGreen and a shiny Staravia in Diamond. I didn't know that shinies were really that valuable back then.

My first shiny I actually caught was Koffing in Emerald. I also these shinies in HeartGold and Platinum, but I lost their cartridges:
-Platinum: Roselia, Sneasel, Marill, Blissey
-HeartGold: Mewtwo

My current shinies:
-Emerald: Koffing
-SoulSilver: Tentacool, Golbat, Nidorina
-Black: Gothita
-White: Sewaddle, Golduck, Lunatone, Vulpix
-White 2: Petilil
-Black 2: Purrloin

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
My first shiny was a Shiny Donphan on my Silver version! On my Gold version (different playthrough) I found a Shiny Weedle and a Shiny Oddish. Crystal I hatched a Shiny Elekid which I didn't even realize until I brought the thing onto Pokemon Stadium 2. Then third Generation didn't give me anything until I found a Shiny Poochyena on Emerald not too long ago. Too bad that Emerald happened to have been a ROM. Oh well. :(

Pearl I found a Shiny Budew but I've lost the pearl so my Budew, Milotic (RNGd) and Combee (given) are all gone woe. But I do still have the Shiny Bulbasaur I soft-resetted for on Soul Silver and the Shiny Azumarill (caught as a Azurill) on Black 2.

So I'm not the luckiest person but no doubt I'm luckier than other people haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I've caught every wild shiny I've found, so I don't think I've had any fails in that regard, haha. I can also RNG Pokemon, so I can get shinies whenever I want. But it doesn't make a random shiny any less special! The best random shiny I've gotten is my shiny Metang. I was in the Giant Chasm in White and I mentioned to Karpman that I'm always training there and that it'd be cool to find a shiny, namely a shiny Metang. And hour later...well, there it was. lol

i was playing Emerald on a GBA emulator, training my recently catched Poochyena when SUDDENLY, FOR MY FIRST TIME, I! FOUND! A! SHINY! ...Zigzagoon. But it was shiny! And! I catched it! That felt amazing, and shouted all girly seeing the differences between the normal one and mine!
.....................But something bad happened... No, I didn't not save! See, my friend and I wanted to do some walkthroughs and were chatting about it. As I was chatting I forgot completely about my shiny Zigzagoon that I told my friend I captured earlier, and then I told him that I would do a Pokémon Emerald walkthrough. ...Guess what I did...
I started a new game to do my walkthrough. And as the 1st part went on I off-screen trained my Torchic, and mid-training, I found a Zigzagoon. I remembered the one I captured, and by remembering THAT, I then remembered that my Shiny Zigzagoon was in the file I deleted!
Great work, me...
I love using colours! (I'm a guy.)

Settle down there, Rainbow Brite. We don't need to blind everyone on the forum.

Anguscr4p

3rd Gen Enthusiast
Years
I just fainted a shiny Steelix!! I ran into it in Victory Road on my Platinum version. I was weakening it with Garchomp, it's Dragon Claw was basically doing nothing to it, it was using curse to up it's defense. Nek minnut my Garchomp lands a critical hit!! Can someone please tell me how the hell did Garchomp break it's huge defense from half health with only one Dragon Claw? It was only taking away 1/6th of Steelix's HP then all of a sudden it's 1/2 with a critical hit. I thought it was only double damage... *sigh*

Critical hits ignore any stat changes, so your Garchomp did double damage against Steelix's base defense, not his curse-boosted one.

As for me, I've got a few. My first was a Zigzagoon in Sapphire (Hmm, seems a lot of us have found shiny Zigzagoons.), found on route 118. I evolved it and renamed it "Shinoone". Then, just a few weeks later, I found ANOTHER ONE on Route 121. I caught it as well, but there is only room for one Shinoone. My most recent (and most awesome, imo) is my shiny Regice.

I wanted to get Regigigas, so I set out to capture the Regis. I set my sights on Regice first, and just after I walked up to Regice and hit A, I remembered that I failed to buy any Ultra Balls, so I had like 10 Poke Balls, and maybe a few Great Balls. Oh, and the Master Ball from Aqua Hideout. As it came across the screen, I noticed its brightness in color and unknowingly say "Wow, they made it awfully bold-looking in the 3rd gen sprites....."

Then some stars ran across the screen.

I freaked out. I wasn't even going to mess around, I just used my Master Ball. Unfortunately, anyone who sees it will probably think I spent a day soft resetting, but at least I know how exciting a moment it was.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Critical hits ignore any stat changes, so your Garchomp did double damage against Steelix's base defense, not his curse-boosted one.

I guess I learnt that the hard way! Haha, I'm never going to try and weaken a shiny without false swipe ever again... Shiny Steelix looks so awesome though. Oh well, I'm bound to run into another shiny sooner or later (most likely later). ;P

Back