• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is it possible to get a shiny starter without cheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Bastio

Banned
Years
i do cheat, but only cheats that wont affect the difficulty of the game like speed cheats. i was wondering if you could actually get a shiny starter without cheating. not in the wild but for example when Oak tells you to get a ball off the table. is there a chance it will be shiny?

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
i do cheat, but only cheats that wont affect the difficulty of the game like speed cheats. i was wondering if you could actually get a shiny starter without cheating. not in the wild but for example when Oak tells you to get a ball off the table. is there a chance it will be shiny?

Yes, of course. The chances of a starter off the table being shiny is exactly the same as wild encounter shiny rates. To get a shiny starter without cheating, there is something called soft-resetting, more commonly known as SRing. This is done by saving the game just before picking your starter. If any of the starters aren't shiny, you simply reset the game - turn it off and on or press L + R + Start + Select for the DS or A + B + Start + Select for the Gameboy etc. and try again. Keep on doing this until the starter you want is shiny. This might take many, many tries, possibly even thousands, but it's the most efficient way to get a shiny starter.

And I do believe this belongs more appropriately to the Quick Questions thread?

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Just to add on it would be way more efficient to get a regular starter and a Japanese ditto and use The Masuda Method. It increases the shiny rates drastically.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
...and in case you wanted the exact chance of encountering a shiny, it's a 1/8192 chance. (courtesy of chuggaaconroy)

Don't worry if you don't get a shiny. I've been doing these games for 12 years without a single legitmate one.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
It's possible, but the chances are really low. I heard it's easier to get one in Emerald. Don't worry if you don't get one. The odds are really low!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
And I do believe this belongs more appropriately to the Quick Questions thread?

Yes, ma'am! Just report it next time instead of pointing that out, please. :)

Anyway, next time you have a generalized question, just ask it in the Q&A thread that goes with the game you were going to apply it to. So if this was for HeartGold, for example, you'd ask in the 4th gen Q&A. Anyway, now that it's answered, I'll close it. But before I go, I just want to mention that RNG abuse > shiny hunting. If you'd like to learn more about RNG abuse, there's a great guide in Trade Corner and if you go to the TC chat, there are plenty of great RNGers that would be willing to help you. :) Good luck!

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back