• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What keeps you interested in battling?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Pretty much the title! Is it never knowing what the opponent has - the surprise factor, the fact that you like to be as creative as you can and see if that pays off, or is it for another reason? Share your thoughts!

Years
What keeps me entertained is the fact that i just started and the fact that you can be creative and make random teams.

Years
I like the feeling of adaptation. When you see their pokemon and have to decide which one they are going to battle. And the feeling of getting out of a trap the other player has set. yeah. i like a lot about battling.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Imma reply to my own thread :3 as for me it's the challenge. I like being able to improve a team and do well with it and learn... issue is if I see the Pokemon too much in the same way I get sick of it - aka OU, so I guess what does matter for me mostly is the fact that there different things and that makes me want to battle.

Years
The mind game.

I'll use move X as he has Pokemon A out. Wait? What if he expects that and switches to Pokemon B to take that hit? Maybe move Y would be better? What if he stays in? Would switching to Pokemon C be the better move? What about using move z if he decides to do switch to Pokemon D, expecting Pokemon C. Maybe I should switch to Pokemon E. But what if I get paralyzed, or get hit critically? Then what would I do?

Honestly, despite all the Pokemon hax >.<, it is this sort of interaction between the players that I find most enjoyable, the constant battle of prediction, strategy and in some cases the completely unexpected surprises you kept hidden to unleash at the opportune moment to take the game.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
I love being able to create a strategy that's far from the norm on Smogon or wherever, and then to see my crazy ideas come together and actually work (or fail miserably). Making a team, losing a few times, realizing why, fixing the team... It's all a ton of fun.

Although the most satisfying is setting up a few Dragon/Quiver Dances and crushing the opponents dreams. Mwahahaha.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I lost major interest because of all the butthurt fifteen-year-olds taking it way too seriously.

Years
What keeps me interested is the sheer number of ways any person against me can win. If I find out that I'm losing for a particular reason, I have to balance my team around being able to eliminate that one threat.

It's perfect to learn how to take over the world. :)

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
I guess it would have to be the various metagames in Pokemon. Last year I almost quit because everything was getting too bland and ordinary, but then I went to the VGC metagame, and it is soooo much more fun.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
The people keep me battling. Since I don't spend too much time taking battling seriously, when I do battle, it's most likely with friends. We're able to have fun, laugh at stupid mistakes, then post silly battle logs. And all of that comes with its own set of rewards.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
The fact that there is a tier that is actually quite balanced, despite being very offensive. Also the fact that I suck at it makes me want to battle more.

Back