• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Johto's Future

Years
Let me say first- This is not my first hack, it is my first time posting on this site so we'll see how this goes. I really just made this hack for fun and it's about half-way done right now.

Four years after the events of HeartGold/SoulSilver, Johto has changed drastically. Harsh weather all over the region has left long term effects; Ecruteak City is flooded in lower areas, Sprout Tower was rebuilt after collapsing during a hurricane, and Mahogany Town has gotten much warmer. As a trainer you not only face the challenge of facing the Johto League, but also facing the many changes across the region and dealing with the stubborn members of Team Rocket still around and up to no good.

Features:
  • Expanded Whirl Islands, much more to do there including the Whirlpool Cup competition.
  • Two new gym leaders, the rest are all familiar.
  • Maps have been drastically re-done, making Johto twice as big as in the remakes and original.
  • New Team Rocket storyline.
  • Battle Frontier after defeating Champion.
  • Janine is your rival.
  • 251 listed in the pokedex, you will encounter them all in some way.

Bugs/Glitches:
  • Can't use running shoes on Route 35, not sure why.
  • I can't change the intro text with Prof. Oak or the text with Kurt speaking about Lostelle rather than Maisy. (I use XSE and have no idea how to change scripts unless there is a sprite present with the offset attached.)
FAQ:

Q: Can you go to Kanto after Johto?
A: No, Johto is massive now and has the updated Whirl Islands and Battle Frontier for you to check out.

Q: Are there Apricorns, Pokeathlon, etc?
A: No, Kurt has retired and due to the earthquake in Goldenrod City, the Pokeathlon Dome is gone.

Q: Are there new TM/HM moves?
A: Yes, there are two new TM moves, one of which is Bug Buzz.

Q: Can you catch Ho-Oh, Lugia or Mewtwo?
A: Yes, but their locations are hidden very well.

Screenshots:

1. Rival Janine.
2. National Park Statues.
3. Visible flooding in Ecruteak.
4. One of the Whirl Islands.
5. Route 35.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
I must say that this one looks great and has great potential ! HOWEVER you should have 386 instead of 251 and if the tiles were hg/ss styled it would be awesome !

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
I'm not going to be picky about tiles or looks here since you've decided to go with the default FireRed tiles. I just have to say that the mapping could be a little bit more... splendid. I do have a couple questions though:

- Can you catch the 3 legendary dogs?
- So the whirlpool islands have been ruralized?

I do love the idea, it will be interesting to see how you've pulled it off.

Tsunamistar

Tsunamistar
Years
It's pretty funny, but I've been working on a very similar hack but with Emerald. I'll be checking back to see how this turns out.

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
Years
I agree with Teejermiester about the mapping, it's not very natural or realistic, unless it's not supposed to be :P

Years
I'm not going to be picky about tiles or looks here since you've decided to go with the default FireRed tiles. I just have to say that the mapping could be a little bit more... splendid. I do have a couple questions though:

- Can you catch the 3 legendary dogs?
- So the whirlpool islands have been ruralized?

I do love the idea, it will be interesting to see how you've pulled it off.

Mapping isn't my strong point, sorry about that.

Yep, you can catch the three legendary dogs but they're sort of hard to find (except Raikou). You can also catch Celebi in Ilex Forest once you have a certain TM to reach it.

With the Whirl Islands, the BETA I have ready now lets you participate in the Whirl Cup for HM04. Ogi Isle, Scarlett City and Blue Point Isle are the only ones that have been ruralized. Red/Yellow/Silver Rock Isles all have hidden events on them.

Years
I must say that this one looks great and has great potential ! HOWEVER you should have 386 instead of 251 and if the tiles were hg/ss styled it would be awesome !

Would've loved to use the HG/SS tiles, but I kept getting an INI error when I tried using the rom.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Mapping isn't my strong point, sorry about that.

Yep, you can catch the three legendary dogs but they're sort of hard to find (except Raikou). You can also catch Celebi in Ilex Forest once you have a certain TM to reach it.

With the Whirl Islands, the BETA I have ready now lets you participate in the Whirl Cup for HM04. Ogi Isle, Scarlett City and Blue Point Isle are the only ones that have been ruralized. Red/Yellow/Silver Rock Isles all have hidden events on them.

You can string together your posts, haha. No need to triple post.

I love the new islands... Johto has always been my favorite region, I'm totally going to check this out!

Pinta77

Interesting. The idea sounds good. However i dont see any drastic weather changes from the screenshots. However I realise there are only.

I like the idea. I'll be checking up on this.

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2016
This sounds interesting. I shall be looking in on this also. I've been trying to find a 3rd gen hack with a Johto map.

Back