• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Mr. Pinguin´s Map Gallery

Mr. Pinguin

A new pinguin arrives
Years
Hi everyone, I´m Mr. Pinguin and today I´m going to open my own map gallery. I will improve my mapping skills so I have thought to make a map every day in the following 30 days. So here we go.

Day 1-Mountain´s entrance
Spoiler:

Day 2-Oasis
Spoiler:

Day 3-Water Path
Spoiler:

Day 4-Crisol town
Spoiler:

Day 5-Dark Cavern
Spoiler:

Day 6-Lab Island
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Hi! Welcome to Pokecommunity :D

Your maps are really nice, and has a really comfy feel to it. I guess it's due to how it utilizes the space you're given in a compact way, making each part of the map feel special without being too redundant. Good job!

However, something I noticed with these two is that the compactness may be a little too much. There's not a lot of wiggle room in some areas, especially the first map. You did a good job at not making the maps too big, but you also have to remember not to make them too narrow to traverse!

Another thing are the ledges. Here's an example I'll use from your Day 2:
b3fcf3527b.png

In a normal Pokemon game, this ledge only has one place the player can jump off of, being the farthest right ledge. Players normally can't jump over corners!
Additionally, the part of the ledge that's sidling up against the trees on the left would actually get the player stuck, since jumping over a ledge doesn't check if there's an obstacle after the jump.

All in all, I think you have a good sense on how to plan out the layout of a map, but you could work a teensy bit more on the relative space each path offers. They're still good jobs though, so good luck on your future maps!

Years
Hi! Welcome to Pokecommunity :D
Additionally, the part of the ledge that's sidling up against the trees on the left would actually get the player stuck, since jumping over a ledge doesn't check if there's an obstacle after the jump.
That's not true because of how movement permissions work in gen 3 mapping. If a ledge leads to a restricted space, it won't let you jump off.

Mr. Pinguin

A new pinguin arrives
Years
I forgot completely to upload yesterday´s map. So here we go with day 3 and 4 maps.

Day 3-Water Path
Spoiler:

Day 4-Crisol town
Spoiler:

Thanks you so much for talk about my maps ^^

Sunfished

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
That's not true because of how movement permissions work in gen 3 mapping. If a ledge leads to a restricted space, it won't let you jump off.

Oh huh, I never knew gen 3 worked like that. Thanks for correcting me!

Back