• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: QuarantineCrystal [FULL FAKEDEX - 12 GYM+ DEMO OUT NOW!] v. 0.804 - updated 03/02/2024

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024

QUARANTINE CRYSTAL

qdex box art.gif

About the Project

A full fakedex hack!
MASSIVE FEB 2024 UPDATE.

Last updated: 03/02/2024

Patch notes for 0.804:
Spoiler:

This started as an art project by spriter and artist latenightagain back in May 2021, where he began designing a Fakemon dex based off of randomly rolled prompts (the "QuarantineDex" project on 4chan's /vp/). I loved their designs so much I wanted to make a game with them, and eventually a dev team formed and created something special from the fantastic art. The goal of the project is to make the most out of the nasty situation that global quarantine was, so the project started small in scope - just replace gen 2's roster with the fakemon - but grew to become a collaborative effort featuring new trainer sprites, new music, and new areas, a revamped tileset, on top of a mechanical overhaul. Experience an adventure with a brand new Pokedex! You never know what you'll find next!

The current demo is 0.803. This features all of Johto and several cities in Kanto.

To update, you will *always* need to apply the patch to a fresh Crystal 1.1 .GBC file. Never patch anything else. Always save in the first floor of a Pokemon center before updating.

Features

• 200+ new Pokemon, complete with unique cries and icons.
  • New trainer classes to challenge, new music to listen to, and new areas to explore.
  • An entirely new, revamped tileset.
  • New quests and collectibles, such as Trading Cards.
  • A revamped HM system, learning the moves is no longer required for traversal.
  • Super Gameboy Border, but only for use on emulator BGB.
  • Physical/special split, increased level curve, new and changed moves, and no revives in battle for an enhanced battle experience.
  • QoL changes and bugfixes aplenty - Move reminder, reusable TMs, Gen V+ repel system, exp for catching, berry pocket and expanded bag space, Apricorn Balls functioning properly, day care man waits outside, and more!
  • Important move changes:
    Spoiler:
  • Selected new moves:
    Spoiler:

FAQ:
Q: Is there a discord?
A: Sure is! https://discord.gg/wcDNGg4RmA

Q: Why are the people blue?
A: You can't just ask someone why they're blue...but Gen 1.5 style, ala Spaceworld demos.

Q: Why is it called Quarantine? Is this political?
A: This project started during the global quarantine, the name stuck.

Q: Why isn't VBA working?
A: Please use BGB or something.

Q: How much is in the demo?
A: Well beyond the Elite Four. Johto is packed with much more content, and there's loads in Kanto to do.

Q: Where is the move reminder?
A: In Cherrygrove City. Bring Poke Dolls.

Q: Where is the move deleter?
A: There's an extra move deleter NPC in the Ecruteak City Pokemon Center

Q: Why did Constrict deal super effective damage?
A: Please look at the "important move changes" listed above.

Q: Why is there this one very specific high level wild pokemon early on?
A: Talk to NPCs :)

Q: How do I get rid of the goose?
A: It functions like the Sudowoodo in vanilla Crystal. If you haven't played Vanilla Crystal,
Spoiler:

Q: How do I report a bug?
A: Before reporting a bug please look at the list of known bugs at the bottom of this post. Did you do it? Please do it. Okay, now that you've looked at the list of known bugs, please either post it in the thread or report it in the discord: https://discord.gg/wcDNGg4RmA

Q: An update was released. How do I update my game?
A: Version 0.8 and onwards are not compatible with versions below 0.8. Just repeat the patching process with a fresh copy of Pokemon Crystal 1.1 and make sure your .sav file and new .gbc file have the same filename.

Screenshots

0.8 collage.png

Credits

• QDexAnon (me) - Initial coding, pokedex entries, flavor text
  • latenightagain- Almost EVERY SINGLE unique Pokemon sprites and designs. The heart of this project.
  • hornests (he does comms!)- Tilesets, Coding and scripting, managing the radical overhauls in the 0.8 update onwards, time of day palettes, every charming little thing you see in this update is this guy
  • Toothpaste - oh so much beta testing and most new music.
  • Varmintz - new trainer sprites, new and revised tilesets, and almost every minisprite in the game.
  • fuzzybug- Scripting, programming, Pokemon cries, and putting together the awesome box art in the OP.
  • smalls - Johto tilesets
  • stargaazar - trainer sprite art
  • The many, many anonymous contributors and supporters for design prompts, icons, flavor text, dex entries, bugtesting, Card Flip sprites, puzzle tiles, and ideas. If latenightagain's the heart, the anonymous contributors are the blood.
  • pret's pokecrystal disassembly and maintainers - the only reason I was able to even make this! The pret wiki tutorials are responsible for a massive amount of the new features. If you are interested in hacking gen 2, it's never been easier, and it's all thanks to pret.
  • Pfero - Bugfixes, oh my lord so many bugfixes. The project's secret duct tape.
  • Coral - Even more bugfixes, time of day palette code. Pfero and Coral are honestly the honorable devs here.
  • Electro - help with added evolution methods.
  • SourCrystal - help with menu sprite palettes and new and custom move animations.
  • Fuzzybug, Varmintz, AutumnRaptor, and anonymous - associated monster designs. Specifically
    Spoiler:
  • Scarlax - additional backsprites that were formerly in the game
  • Several anonymous contributors, Varmintz, TC, Gueso, and Emi Monserrate - menu icons.
  • MelonadeM for the legendary battle music.
  • Rangi and TPP Anniversary Crystal Devs - Move reminder code.
  • Seatree of Pokemon Peridot - hyper beam code.
  • Camerupt - project management help.
  • All the beautiful souls and ideaguys over on /yehaw/.
  • All the supporters and helpers on the /rheg/, rhh, and pret discords

Known Bugs

• Certain dark maps have incorrect time of day palettes.
  • Lucky Number ID gift gives wrong doll at the moment.
  • Retroglyph icons in the Retroglyph Dex are a little scrambled.
  • Graphical error in Underground Rocket Base with Lance walking across a gap.
  • If you level up after catching a Pokemon, the Pokeball persists through the stat screen.
  • Please report any bugs encountered with screenshots and as much detail as possible.

Download

Last Updated: 02/18/2024 with 0.803.
Ye Olde Patch notes below. Big update at start of thread.
Patch notes for 0.602:
Spoiler:

Patch notes for 0.601:
Spoiler:

The patch needs to be applied to a clean Crystal 1.1 .GBC file.
To update, you will *always* need to apply the patch to a fresh Crystal 1.1 .GBC file. Never patch anything else. Always save in the first floor of a Pokemon center before updating.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
You think you can put some cheat support in this? Crystal's cheats don't do nothing for this hack. It's something until I can get to some other games.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
This looks wonderful, absolutely love me a good dex replacement hack. especially with gen 2 being my favorite generation! I'll definitely try this out when a longer demo follows! Love the Fakémon designs as well!

Last edited:

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
Years
Looks promising I'll be sure to give it a shot someday, as I don't know if many gen 2 Fakemon hacks

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 31, 2021
Is there an alternate way of connecting or watching the progress of this hack like a Discord or a reddit or a twitter account? I played through all of the content offered and I am waiting for more. This is really good stuff and seeing the unused sprites for what's to be expected later gets my blood pumping (I'm looking at you, Cosmic Whale).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
I have to say that from what I've played of the demo so far, i'm loving it. Literal dust bunny line is probably one of my favorites so far.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
Right. Having completed it up to the end point... My only complaint is that the level curve feels just a little bit too steep for my tastes. I dunno... maybe i'm just looking for something closer to vanilla difficulty in that regard, but it's something I can live with as long as I don't have to feel like i'm forced to treat it like i'm playing competitive.
Spoiler:

The highlight of this hack would certainly be the myriad new mons it adds. They don't just feel like simple sprite swaps either. They each feel diverse and new, and it really does tickle that sense of curiosity and discovery that a new pokemon game can give. Big respect, and I look forward to what comes next for this. I get the feeling it could become something real special.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
Sorry that I have not updated in quite a long time!
The next update will come out before the end of the year and feature the rest of Johto. There's about 25 more new designs to go to fully fill out the region, including legends!
Next update will also feature new music, trainer classes, and areas - not to mention, of course, more new Pokemon and menu sprites!
Some hard-to-remove references to old mon have been removed, like the sprout tower statues, pokefan outfits, surf sprite, and more. The best is yet to come!
H6TNO8x.png

Additionally, difficulty will be adjusted - it'll be harder than vanilla for sure but less difficulty-hack-ish. Sure, we still want boss battles to be a pain in the butt but we don't want grinding to detract from all the cool new mons.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 5, 2023
This hack looks amazing ! Beautiful fakemons, really remind me of the work of Gamefreak.
Can't wait to test the full Johto version.
Keep up the good work ! ✊

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
i'm eagerly awaiting the next update. i've only just started this hack but i love when people do fakemon, i love seeing what other people come up with

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
Sorry for the incredibly long delay - the Johto update is finally here! Eight gyms of content, from getting your starter to challenging the Champion to uncovering secrets and catching new Pokemon.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
New patch, 0.601.
Patch notes:
  • A fiendish new battle theme has been added, courtesy of Toothpaste
  • Legendary battles have additional flavor text
  • Hoatot line has updated mini-sprites, courtesy of Varmintz
  • Minor adjustments to mon stats (Glythic Atk increased from 55 -> 65) and to movepools/evo levels (some evo levels went up, some went down, some moves are learned earlier, some are moved later)
  • Fixed a mention of Unown in the Glythic Dex UI
  • Fixed a gamebreaking bug when Wormacho in the Goldenrod Basement appears blue. Wormacho's arms are NOT BLUE.
  • Fixed a trainer in Mt. Mortar accidentally not having eyes (effective spotting range of 0)

Back