• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Mewtwo

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Let's talk about Mewtwo!

When you've completed the Pokemon League in RBY and became the Pokemon League champion, you're able to gain access to the Cerulean Cave near the city. Inside the cave there are many strong wild Pokemon from level 50+. Eventually when you head deeper into the cave, you encounter a rather strong psychic-type Pokemon called Mewtwo:

hqdefault.jpg

Mewtwo is level 70, and comes with the moves Barrier, Recover, Swift, and Psychic. While it is indeed strong, it's also catchable!

Discussion Questions:
  • Have you ever caught Mewtwo in these games?
  • For you, how difficult was it to battle against Mewtwo?
  • What did you think of Mewtwo in general?

Feel free to share any thoughts!

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
Who uses a level 12 Pikachu against that? XD

For me the first time around catching it in Yellow was a nightmare since without using a status it pretty much just sneezes pokeballs away. : / That along with it recovering.

Mewtwo's nice and all but at the end of the day I like Mew better.

Sirfetch’d

I always make sure to catch this guy when I play through the originals! I don't feel as if I have completed the game until I make my way through this hard to navigate cave and meet this powerful legend. I've never really found him too difficult to catch though because I've always just saved my Master Ball for him(aside from the first time I encountered him). As for my thoughts on Mewtwo, I love him. He was the first really strong legendary that I ever had the pleasure of using and for nostalgia reasons alone he is fantastic!

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
The first time I encountered Mewtwo, I regrettably wasn't able to capture it. I was riding around in Cerulean Cave catching Pokemon and exploring it, and due to my lack of having friends, I had no clue that Mewtwo was hidden in Cerulean Cave. Anyways, I press A on it before saving, and I ran out of all the Poke Balls I had trying to capture it. I had a good battle with it, but in the end I took it down. At least I had a satisfactory battle with it.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
I loved his design and story and he's still one of my favourite mons in that sense although I don't use legendaries except for the odd bit of fun. I never really liked his Mega Evolutions though, the fighting one was just awful and the super weird psychic one just didnt seem right to me. I'd always envisioned his mega as him becoming more like Mew but with the better stats.

I have started Hyper training my Modest Mewtwo I caught in Pokemon Y so I'll finally have a 6IV equivalent good version of him and also transferred over my Y-VC Mewtwo (HA) who lives as my Pokedex entry for him in my living dex with his little game boy symbol.

I'll always catch Mewtwo if he's available in a game, never had a problem catching him as I always saved the master ball. I have tried fighting him for fun in SS and he's fairly difficult mainly due to the level you encounter him at first time after defeating the elite 4.

Years
I have caught Mewtwo in gen 1 once or twice Couldn't really be bothered to do it After my third run I spent about 1 hour fightning against Mewtwo to capture him (I didn't have a master ball)

After a long and boring battle of throwing balls and kept my Pokemon healed up i finally caught him But i never used him i just put him in my box and forgot about him

I think Mewtwo is a awesome looking Pokemon his reputation for one of the strongest Pokemon out there makes him a feared oppenent.

Years
I just transferred Mewtwo over from Red after I finished my first ever attempt at a speedrun (Did really horrible, haven't memorized the route yet or anything, 3:45 glitchless). I did the item dupe glitch to make a ton of Master balls, so I didn't actually fight him.

That cave though. I spent a good 20 minutes walking around trying to find him before I gave up and looked up a guide.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Mewtwo is the most epic pokémon, it's strong and has two cool Mega Evolutions. I've caught it some times but I usually hax so that I can use it as starter (I just change the pokémon) because it's so fun to use it as my main pokémon.

It's shame that you can't use it in Battle Frontier and other similar places.

Shixyo

Nobody
Years
I think Mewtwo is cool, but he's never been one to sit in my party. In the early days (R/G/B/Y), I thought he was rather easy battle, given that I had not noticed that it was not just Gerald from 'Hey Arnold!' blocking its entrance. By that time, my Pokemon had already been leveled to the high 80s/low 90s. Catching him hadn't been much of a problem either, then.

However, in the remake games FR/LG, I felt it was definitely tougher than the first time around. Not only that, but I only used only Pokeballs or Premier Balls for aesthetics. Eventually after catching it, I released it anyways (even though I limited myself to 2 said balls, lol). I've always been an immersive player, and came to the logic that if Ash had never caught any legendaries, then if I were an actual Pokemon trainer, I doubt I'd be as lucky, and kept the Pokedex entries only.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think the first time I played the game, I caught him and he was on my """""post game""""" (if you can call it that) team, but I mean. You get him so late and then it's like. What is even the point lol. Trade him to Crystal to see that cool sprite animation, I guess. That's good stuff.

I normally do try to catch him before calling myself done with RBY when I play them, though. Unless it's for a challenge and the requirement is just to beat the Champion bc I'm not about to go the extra mile after I finish aha.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Honestly first time seeing this pokemon, I didn't even attempt to catch him; I just tried to beat it as I thought it was the last battle challenge in the game. Later on I do try to catch him whenever possible, and it's pretty much a task and a half... I think I was successful a few times, but it's not very memorable for me.

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
Have you ever caught Mewtwo in these games?
Yeah, pretty much every time i've played through RBY.

For you, how difficult was it to battle against Mewtwo?
I dunno, i'm boring; I tended to keep my Master Ball for the fight against him. Will have to try battling him properly sometime.

What did you think of Mewtwo in general?
Gamebreaking. I can remember completely blitzing Stadium with him; Psychic, Substitute, Recover and Amnesia makes him practically unbeatable.

Sam1994

Sam
Years
Well I still remember catching Mewtwo, the 1st legendary pokemon to be caught by me. I was a noob and didn't use the Master ball against it.. but fairly remembering i used 4 ultra balls ror it..was not able to catch it 1st time though..and speaking about its overall stats its really an awesome pokemon to be caught and still i like to catch it while playing any 3/4/5 gen games.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
It's a pity you catch it so late, yes. You're done with the game already, at that point o: I used it to beat the E4 easier on the second run and so on, but like with many legendaries, I felt no emotional connection to that one compared to the mons I'd trained throughout my journey (:

Buraz

used HARDEN
Years
I actually caught one yesterday In the Virtual console's Version of Pokemon yellow for the purpose of transfering it to sun/moon. I caught it using a masterball because, while Mewtwo has exactly the same catchrate as the legendary birds of which 2 I caught with an ultraball and one with a superball (It was a funny accident), Mewtwo can use recovery and it's annoying as hell. Well unless you can freeze him. So how difficult was it? Not at all.

Mewtwo's design is brilliant because he looks exactly what you'd expect a not-so-perfect clone to look like, good backstory and one of the few man-made pokemon which makes it interesting.

Years
Have you ever caught Mewtwo in these games?

But of course!

For you, how difficult was it to battle against Mewtwo?

It could have been extremely difficult as I was a rookie trainer when I first encountered Mewtwo in pkmn yellow and had already used my masterball to capture a mere legendary bird. Not knowing what was in store for me at the end of the game.

Lady Luck took pity on a poor novice however. On my first turn I used an articuno against Mewtwo with blizzard. Articuno froze him solid in one shot! In gen 1 freezing was game over for any opponent, he could never unthaw himself. I sat there with my jaw dropped at the odds of this happening, threw an ultra ball and he went in on my first try. When I replayed yellow in the future and explored the remaining gen 1 games I always saved my master ball just for mewtwo since I knew he was waiting for me or glitched for more balls once I knew about MissingNo. :)

What did you think of Mewtwo in general?

How could anyone not like Mewtwo? He is a sleek design. Had the most character development and mystery surrounding him of any of the original 150 as shown by the 1st pokemon movie. He had an incredible seiyuu in Masachika Ichimura, so introspective but intense. Statistically he is superior to every Pokemon of his generation. He's a pokemon you can just put on your team to round it and out and he covers any weakness you have. Even his lowest stat is viable. With the advent of mega evolution you could make the argument it is still the greatest Pokemon of all. He even gives you two tremendously powerful choices of forms to the further tailor him to your needs. Whether you want physical attack, special or speed he can do it.

Years
In my first run of the game, I used the masterball to catch the articuno. I used the articuno in the fight against mewtwo until I eventually froze it and caught with an ultra ball.

I thought it was cool having the beastly killer, I beat the e4 and champion with just mewtwo.

Years
I don't know if this fits strictly under the discussion questions, cause its technically not 1st gen, but does anyone else think that mewtwo's mega evolutions look like Majin Buu and Kid Buu? That's always what I nickname my mewtwos.

Back