• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 13, 2013
I'm having issues with a room I just made, completely new to hacking and making my first one so I don't know what to do. I made the rooms size 13 by 10, outside of this area are brown tiles that I didn't place and when I go to the room in the map editor it doesn't let me see that far out. I hope I'm explaining this correctly.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
Excuse me. I have a question: how to make the door open when I come in with a custom tile like this?
tumblr_mxxprkxhO91somzu8o1_500.png

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Excuse me. I have a question: how to make the door open when I come in with a custom tile like this?
tumblr_mxxprkxhO91somzu8o1_500.png

Make sure you have made a door animation for that door tile.
If you have, make sure the movements are correct as well.
A custom tile door won't open without a warp tile and a door animation on it.

Years
Hello.
I'm new to all this and don't know just yet how this all works. But stil, I have a question about word map editor. I haven't found the anser yet ...
How do you have to do it, so that the player icon on the world map will show on the spot, where you want it. I tried many differrent options, but no right results came out.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 25, 2015
I'm happy that your trying to help but it still won't work. My warp is on the tile in front of the exit, and the tile is the first cave floor tile in the tileset. Since all else really has failed, can you tell me a little bit more on how to edit the behavior byte of the warp? In my version of advance map (I think its the latest one) when a warp is selected I cannot open it in my script editor (XSE).

Also, one extra detail I noticed, when I enter the cave I am facing down. I think that is a little weird. If you want me to upload pictures of the maps I want to connect, let me know.

EDIT: I figured out how to set the behavior byte and it is at 08 00, so I guess that's not the problem :(
EDIT 2: Lol. I was messing around with the behavior bytes and decided to try 61 00, which is "use warp" and that worked perfectly. haha

I'm having this same problem, but I can't figure out how to change the behavior byte. I went to the block editor, and went to the same block as my warp block (It showed me the titleset, so I clicked on the same block as the type I was using). I changed it to 08 00, but that didn't work. I also tried 61 00, but that didn't work either. I can't post any pictures because I need to have made 15 posts or more.
Please help! I see that your last activity was in April, Vittorini. So, can anyone else help?
EDIT: 65 00 didn't work either.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2014
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this problem and I'm sort of new to this but I can't seem to figure out how to make the wild pokemon offset work. I have screenshots attached. Thanks for any responses.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 25, 2016
I have an annoying problem. What the hell do you do when a map you were editing decides to remove itself from the bank... I mean ya know how when in a folder the color is yellow/orange box over a green box to the left of the name. And when you open that folder you see a bunch of maps from that folder - and those maps only have a green box next to their name. Now I have maps I edited which WERE in a folder - but then decided to jump out of the folder - This renders them inaccessible and it is extremely frustrating. Does anybody know how to fix this?!

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
Years
This might be a stupid question, but...

When you are adding new events, how do you add new scripts? I find an unused script offset and then click "Open Script", then I paste in my script, but how do I get it to like, save it in the game? If I close the script and then open it back up (in A-Map), it's empty again......... What do I do here?

What I'm trying to do is make an event where you have to battle Ho-oh. I have the script completed and the sprite in place, but I don't know how to make Ho-oh do anything.

Thank you in advance for your time! ^__^

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 6, 2022
As I've said in another thread, I'm new to this advance map thing. My problem is, I'm playing Pokemon Light Platinum, and I'm at the part where I'm supposed to be going after the Gym Leader in Kosaka City. She left to SKY TOWER. But in front of it, is a police officer who won't move, which is a glitch. From what I did on ADVANCE MAP following the above instructions, I believe I was most likely able to move him.

And since I'm on my tablet playing the game, I transferred the edited file from my PC to my tablet. But the problem is, my saved file won't work with my edited game, it just starts all over again. Now I have my regular file where I can't get past the officer and an edited file where he should be gone...but requires me to do the entire game over again. I need to know how to fuse my save file with my edited game file to play now. :/

Jehowi

Your Master Superior
Years
I've encountered the following problem in advance map:

http://youtu.be/xW-e3_wTdio

Basically I changed the Pewter museum map a bit and I edited the movement permissions as you can see at the beginning of the video. But when I test it, I can never, ever go to the right except for at the entrance of the museum. Even worse, when I go to the left, I can't go back anymore at all. I think I didn't screw up the movement permissions... So any solution to this?

Edit: Video is still being uploaded on Youtube, will be there in aprox. 5 mins

2h37a7l.png

1234iyo.png

Years
Hi, I made a town and when I enter it, it's completely black, and I can't move from the spot I'm in. The NPC's that show up aren't even in the correct spots. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2016
Hey can somebody help me? Im working on creating my own pokemon fire red hack. Its coming along well so far. But I was wondering if somebody could tell me if there is a way to connect to any of the unknown maps and use them for of the hacks themselves. Im trying to use the unknown maps from the trainer tower to do my own thing for my hack. So I didnt know if anyone could tell me how to connect to the unknown maps. If anyone can help me that would be awesome. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Patrick R.

Last edited:

LxNightWalker

Sniper of The Year
Years
Nice tutorial bro. I edited some maps in FireRed. Thanks.

How the heck can I place a warp guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
How the heck can I place a warp guys?

Do you mean add a new warp to the map you're working on? If so, on the Events tab, in the bottom right, "Amount of events", simply press the UP arrow next to "Number of warps:" to create a new warp on your map.

LxNightWalker

Sniper of The Year
Years
Do you mean add a new warp to the map you're working on? If so, on the Events tab, in the bottom right, "Amount of events", simply press the UP arrow next to "Number of warps:" to create a new warp on your map.

Yeah, but I don't know how to place it on the Pokecenter door.

Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Oh, that's easy enough. In AdvanceMap's Events tab; when you increase the number of warps by 1, one of the [W] boxes should appear in the upper left of the map. Just drag and drop it to the door!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 4, 2015
Can I ask about how to create a new map and how to create its own name, then insert it in the game without having to name it as route1 or pallette town(whatever of the original maps in the ROM)?....

It seems like connecting new maps without inserting it to the old maps is impossible. I don't know how to make up with this matter....

replies are much honored and accepted.. Thanks POkeCommunity...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 4, 2015
Yeah, but I don't know how to place it on the Pokecenter door.

try looking at the x/y position on the map. move your mouse pointer at the point where you want to position your warp (or at the door you added), then look at its x/y position at the bottom left of the advance map. you can copy these attributes to your warp details (x/y position) to position where your warp should be located. And please don't forget to put "3" at the unknown slot. it's most commonly used at doors or cave doors. "4" for ladder. and lastly, check the behavior of your chosen door tile. it should be 61 00 for warp... (hope it helps..)

Back