• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you'd change?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
It surprised me in the other thread when some of the mods said they virtually had no say or didn't know about stuff H-Staff was doing recently, and even before with other stuff (MIC etc.) I think giving mods a bit more credit from higher staff would be appreciated. I know h-staff is appointed to make executive decisions, but for smaller stuff I think it would be nice to extend certain things to mods too in the lounge first to get their opinion, then take the real decision making stuff to the higher staff section. Just a thought.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
The point of what I brought up wasn't to let them make an executive decision, but rather, first hear what they had to say especially if it affects their section. I know some things have been extended to regular members for our opinion.. but I think it might be healthy to extend the thought to staff first before extending it to the lot of us. I'm not trying to devalue us either but they are also in charge for a reason so it might be valuable for you to hear what they had to say first before a thread may get too cluttered with posts and things get lost. If a thread is too much hassle because of handling those hundreds of posts, make an announcement to them in the staff forums that there was thought for a change maybe.. and then tell them let you guys handle it. If someone has any super blaring concerns about it, then at least they are welcome to PM you about it to at least let you know (and that way you can also give them reassurance without them getting angry at you or anything.)

I know what you mean, and I don't think mods should feel unappreciated either. But if it's a case that's not too serious where you guys feel it can be opened up to mods even just as a "by the way" thing.. then.. heck why not?

I can understand though that you might feel it's an unnecessary time-consuming step, since you call all the shots. I just thought it'd be nice to do so I wanted to mention it.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Well, my opinions usually tend to be different from the others. But I'm going to try and make a conscious effort to try to have opinions of others.

★Make a different (or disconnected with the server?) place for OLD threads, ones which won't be revived, maybe over an year. I know we can filter them to not show old threads, but they take a load on the server, yeah.
★Weed old members/bots. It's a well known fact that over 90% of members in PC haven't made a single post. Well, these guys should be prevented because a) They eat server load and b) They take away cool names
★I'm guessing a majority of the people want more kinds of PC loyalty signs, maybe more chances of getting emblems, and some other privileges to people who visit PC more than just for random posts.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I don't see why there should be any 'privileges' for posting, lol, considering you're coming on here to post and have a good time anyway. You post well enough, you get emblems. I don't see any real reason to add anything else to this simple system.

Edit: on a side note, something I'd change would be to make the default avatar size 160 x 160px, simply because that's the same size as some of the photosets on Tumblr, lol. I know it wouldn't ever happen, but it's a nice thing to think about regardless.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Audy, I just want to point out that it's not that mods want to take over the discussions and such for major changes. It's just that it would be nice if we could know when a decision is made instead of signing on to something totally unexpected. At least with letting us know, we have time to adjust and think, "okay, things are going to be different soon" and prepare for it. It'd be nice if members could know too. Just a little announcement in Community Announcements or the forums that will be affected. That'd be nice. That's all we want, really.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Just thought of something? Are we allowed to secretly nominate someone else for an emblem? Like let's say we go to their profile and see they're really obsessed with ___ or the profile is really pretty/ bright/ whatever, or someone who is a newbie but we think is really mature and contributing a lot, are we not allowed to PM a mod and just say "Hey I think I want to nominate this person for ___ emblem?"
And if it happens it happens and so cool, and if the mod doesn't see them fit yet for the emblem, then it should just be let be.. but I think it might be nice.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Just thought of something? Are we allowed to secretly nominate someone else for an emblem? Like let's say we go to their profile and see they're really obsessed with ___ or the profile is really pretty/ bright/ whatever, or someone who is a newbie but we think is really mature and contributing a lot, are we not allowed to PM a mod and just say "Hey I think I want to nominate this person for ___ emblem?"
And if it happens it happens and so cool, and if the mod doesn't see them fit yet for the emblem, then it should just be let be.. but I think it might be nice.

Not sure what other staff does, but if someone tells me they think so and so deserves a certain emblem, I go check them out and give it to them if I agree. It's not very often this happens though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
For a while you could publicly nominate people for emblems, but people were taking it as a given and it became like your friends asking for emblems for you instead of you asking them for yourself so it got stopped. But there isn't any rule against pointing out someone that you thinks deserves an emblem.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
On the whole issue of mods knowing h-staff discussions...I'm just going to echo Audy here and say, it's not their jobs. Yes, our mods are the workhorses of the staff team. Yes, we're very grateful for everything they do and we respect their input. And yes, PC couldn't exist without our mod team.

But the h-staff are the ones responsible for the management of the community as a whole. Mods are responsible for a specific/a few specific forums. Stuff like forum arrangement, new features, and the like, are the realm of the h-staff. Obviously, if we're making a decision that directly involves the way the mods do their job, then it's only common courtesy to get their input before going through with it. But if, for example, your forum gets moved to a different category, it doesn't affect your job in any way. And if there's a discussion about multi-forum or community-wide stuff, it's honestly not the realm of the mods. It's not that we don't respect our mods or value their contributions to PC, it's just not their job to be concerned with h-staff affairs.

There's already enough deliberation and red tape that goes along with HQ decisions - especially since we have such a big h-staff at this point. A lot of HQ discussions drag on for weeks before any action takes place. To delay stuff any more, especially for no reason other than "This is going to happen in 24 hours!", is just redundant and ineffectual use of time.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
★Weed old members/bots. It's a well known fact that over 90% of members in PC haven't made a single post. Well, these guys should be prevented because a) They eat server load and b) They take away cool names
I personally don't see a major issue with this other than 'that member could return.' Let's be frank - how many six-seven year old members that haven't logged on for, well, six or seven years have returned to full activity, and I mean full, in the past two or three years? One, maybe two? In any case, it's not all that many, and if it means old accounts could be purged to clear up space (if that even helps, that's something I'm not sure of) in the database, as well as free up some a good chunk of usernames, then what's another valid reason for not doing it?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Ah, didn't know it even took that long : | I could understand the frustration then! Well guess that's fair enough! Appreciated the input back on that though!

Also!! Are we ever gonna get post-comment notifications in the future? I know there's been big overhauling with the actual forum, so definitely no rush, but someone (I think it was Harlequin) mentioned it in that other thread Audy made about things going and I thought it would be an awesome feature *__*! Not really something to change but.. adding it would definitely be pretty awesome!

And what do you guys say to having the sender of post-comments visible to us in the CP? Or do you think it should stay anonymous?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I know, Syd. Really. My problem is that your only valid reason is "it would be nice." There's no practical reason and it's adding a whole other step into a process that already usually takes weeks from start of discussion to implementation as it is.

I don't see what takes away the validity of "it would be nice." Because it really would. How would you feel if your work place randomly changed policies or uniforms one day without telling you beforehand? You walk in and bam, things are changed. It just seems like a courteous thing to do to inform people of any changes that are going to be made.

It's really not a hard thing to say "hey guys, things are going to be this way from now on." It just really isn't, which is why I'm having understanding why this apparently can't be done.

I don't at all think anybody needs to "prepare" to having a forum listed in a different category. You're either going to sign on and be surprised by reading a thread saying it'll happen or you'll sign on and be surprised by seeing it done. What... is the difference to you? While for us (hstaff), again, it's adding another useless step into a bigger process that already has a thousand other steps. I hate the bureaucracy that already plagues making decisions in HQ so forgive me if I loathe the idea of things taking even longer.

Moderators of the affected forums need to be prepared. As I've stated before, it was a slap in the face to sign on and see I didn't mod my own full category anymore and that there was this new forum in GPGD without anyone telling me. If we're not going to tell the forum as a whole when forums are merged and such, that's fine. I'm done trying to get that change made. That's clearly not going to happen. But at least telling the mods would be a step up. I don't know if you informed them or not, nor does it matter any more, but it would be very reassuring to know that you did. And if you didn't, could that at least be an effort to make in the future? Just PM the moderator and say "Hstaff has come to a decision that x is going to happen to your forum soon."

I'm not mad about this or anything. I mean, I was mad when it was my forums, but I wasn't mad per se about the merge the other night. But still. It just, for lack of a better phrase, would be nice.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I agree wholeheartedly with Syd. It might not seem like much of a deal to you but it is for some of us. Just PMing the moderator isn't something I see taking too long.

That said, this:
on a side note, something I'd change would be to make the default avatar size 160 x 160px, simply because that's the same size as some of the photosets on Tumblr, lol. I know it wouldn't ever happen, but it's a nice thing to think about regardless.
Because larger avatar sizes are always nice. <3;

droomph

weeb
Years
I personally don't see a major issue with this other than 'that member could return.' Let's be frank - how many six-seven year old members that haven't logged on for, well, six or seven years have returned to full activity, and I mean full, in the past two or three years? One, maybe two? In any case, it's not all that many, and if it means old accounts could be purged to clear up space (if that even helps, that's something I'm not sure of) in the database, as well as free up some a good chunk of usernames, then what's another valid reason for not doing it?

Well, if you didn't even make a post in the first place, I don't see how it could be considered "returning"…

And yeah, some people use their accounts just to download attachments in the Emulation section once or twice (I know I signed up this account to do so), so if we get those people out it shouldn't affect them any. Besides. They could just make another one when they want to post.

Moderators of the affected forums need to be prepared. As I've stated before, it was a slap in the face to sign on and see I didn't mod my own full category anymore and that there was this new forum in GPGD without anyone telling me. If we're not going to tell the forum as a whole when forums are merged and such, that's fine. I'm done trying to get that change made. That's clearly not going to happen. But at least telling the mods would be a step up. I don't know if you informed them or not, nor does it matter any more, but it would be very reassuring to know that you did. And if you didn't, could that at least be an effort to make in the future? Just PM the moderator and say "Hstaff has come to a decision that x is going to happen to your forum soon."

I'm not mad about this or anything. I mean, I was mad when it was my forums, but I wasn't mad per se about the merge the other night. But still. It just, for lack of a better phrase, would be nice.
Don't you guys have like separate mods and hstaff discussion forums or something? So yeah, either you guys should snoop in on the conversation, or they can post one little thing saying "okay pay attention guys this is what's going down", and you wouldn't have to PM anyone, and it would mostly be a copy+paste job…and if you have a discussion forum for changes with all staff included but only hstaff could make the final decision, you guys have a bigger sample size, and with surveys, that's usually a good thing.

and concerning the bureaucauiewfiawhi the long process that it takes to decide something, you should implement a Phoenix Wright type of system, where within x time if you don't come up with a "solution" the Top 3 or something (oldest? most posts? idk you guys figure it out) will automatically decide for everyone if to go on (ie it's alllmost there, it just needs some more ironing out), or to just skip xyz (you guys are in gridlock over a detail or the whole idea). And I say the top three or w/e can override because (1) this is pretty much their forum at this point, and (2) I can trust that they can make the right decision if they haven't been kicked out of their positions…

Or if it's getting the votes, have all the staff be required to vote within x time (preferably 2/3 days, since that accounts for "required activity" and time zones) so that you don't have to "bump the thread with the votes" and everything.

And if it's because it's slow to get the staff to discuss, just require them to get on and try to contribute (I say try because I know there's some issues where I couldn't care less), because it's their job and minor details like that.

Suggestions, guys. Don't get offended.

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Don't you guys have like separate mods and hstaff discussion forums or something? So yeah, either you guys should snoop in on the conversation, or they can post one little thing saying "okay pay attention guys this is what's going down", and you wouldn't have to PM anyone, and it would mostly be a copy+paste job…
Suggestions, guys. Don't get offended.

Oh damn that's a good idea.. kinda like what we have with the like "small changes" thread in announcements. Something that is locked by h-staff in the mod lounge just giving an announcement to the mods before anything is posted/ done yet to the public maybe?

Maybe that would be a good all-around compromise. Not a discussion, doesnt take much time, but still lets mods know IF they need to know/ it is something that can be shared.

<3 Hope this will help <3

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I would honestly prefer if the whole exchange was more personal and the Moderator(s) that's to be effected by the changes are contacted privately. But that's just me so!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
OKAY

I think post comments should still be anonymous. Maybe you sometimes don't dare to tell someone who you are when you compliment them or point something out, and you can just type your name in if you do want them to know :3

BUT what I came here to say really is that I want the animated Duskull thread icon to go away. It's annoying and fugly :3
I'm all for pokémon thread icons! But make them non-animated. Maybe I'm just a bit boring, but I prefer my thread index static xD with the exception of smexy board headers on the top, of course.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think post comments should still be anonymous. Maybe you sometimes don't dare to tell someone who you are when you compliment them or point something out, and you can just type your name in if you do want them to know :3

They're anon to everyone except higher staff, actually. :3

BUT what I came here to say really is that I want the animated Duskull thread icon to go away. It's annoying and fugly :3
I'm all for pokémon thread icons! But make them non-animated. Maybe I'm just a bit boring, but I prefer my thread index static xD with the exception of smexy board headers on the top, of course.

Duskull is adorable get out omg. I do agree though that it's odd the Duskull is animted while the others aren't. I'd be more in favor of removing the thread icons really cause they don't have too much purpose, but it's not a big deal if it stays. Maybe we should change Duskull to Dusknoir. lol

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
They're anon to everyone except higher staff, actually. :3
I know, I just thought I saw someone mentioning above here somewhere that they would like the anonymousity of them removed so I just wanted to object ^^

Duskull is adorable get out omg. I do agree though that it's odd the Duskull is animted while the others aren't. I'd be more in favor of removing the thread icons really cause they don't have too much purpose, but it's not a big deal if it stays. Maybe we should change Duskull to Dusknoir. lol
Haha yeah ok. I feel like there's been a discussion about redundant stuff in this forum at some point recently, where icons and those other redundant images appearing next to the icons in the index were mentioned? I wonder what happened with that.

I like thread icons just because they can make threads stand out a little ^^ But we have rather dull ones, like smiley faces, so a Dusknoir or other pokémon would be a vast improvement - especially considering we are a pokémon forum. Preferably not animated though, but that's just my own preference of course.

Those other icon thingys (to the left of the "post icons") that show if a thread is locked or not and if you have posted or not - I would like those removed. Or rather, merged with the post icons. If it's possible! One kind of icon next to a thread is enough, but I still think it's definitely useful to see a little dot if you are subscribed to a thread perhaps, an arrow if you have posts in it and a lock if the thread is locked. Or something.

@ Gavin, you can't? Maybe you are human after all 8D

Back