• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How you start.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
In a Main Series Pokemon Game, How do you usually start the Game after you receive your Pokedex, your Pokeballs. Would you grind early to reduce the difficulty of training later? Would you spend all your current money to help you early?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Depends on my planned team and also depends on if I'm doing a challenge. And also depends on the game! For example, if I'm playing Ruby or Sapphire, once I can catch Pokemon, I catch 5 Zigzagoon for Pickup abuse. Then I keep them all in my party and they gradually leave me as I get more party members haha. In DPPt, there's usually always something I want to trade over to replace my starter, so once I can trade, I buy 5 Pokeballs, catch trade fodder, and then trade over my egg, hatch it, grind that guy to about level 6 or 7, and move on my merry way. For other games, I'm don't have a huge method like this, but you get the point haha.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Get my Pokemon then catch me an HM slave. Try to EV train starting out too even tho it's really hard to and catch some cool pokes.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
After I leave the first town (start town) I train until my starter evolves. Then after recieving pokeballs and moving on I catch the areas flying pokemon and an hmslave (I have a diff name for him but I dont think this forum allows cursing) I keep my starter in front and battle every trainer till the next town with just him. Then train all other pokes to whatever level they are. Easy to make sure Im in the right level range that way :)

poke-world

Banned
Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2012
I buy 3 Pokeballs, and then trade over my egg, hatch it, grind that guy to about level 6 or 7, and move on my merry way.

Sirfetch’d

I always train my starter to at least level 10 before I battle the first trainer(not including rival). I also catch the generic bird and train it a few levels.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I grind like hell. Catch a few Pokemon from the beginning routes and start making up my little team. That's pretty much the only thing I do in the beginning, besides catching them. I almost never spend money unless I absolutely need to like Potions for gym leaders, which is really rare.

Years
Basically all I do when I start the game is just grind. Unless I know that I want to use one of the Pokemon found right at the beginning of the game, I'll usually just train my starter exclusively, but catch one of the local Pokemon as insurance in case my starter faints. After I finally get the second Pokemon I want, then the first one I caught usually goes into the box.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
Years
I catch all the local Pokémon, box the ones I don't want in my future team and then just train the ones that will be in my team. Then it's onto the next area, and it all begins again.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I look up the first route and decide if I want to catch a Pokemon there for my final team. If not, I'll just level my Pokemon up to level 10 and move on to the next gym. I don't plan too much, haha.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Just move to wherever I'm supposed to go while fighting (rather than running from) any wild monsters I encounter.
I like to buy a modest stock of Potions (~10) to aid such steady progress, really just to cut out most of the times one would otherwise return to a Centre.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I usually grind my Pokemon to level 10 and catch the bird Pokemon. Sometimes I catch others as well, but I box them immediately (I only catch them for Dex, since it's easier to catch as you play). In RSE sometimes I catch Zigzagoon because of his ability, and in RGY I sometimes catch Nidoran. Of course, that's a lot different when I play a new game. When I played Gen V for the first time, I caught all kinds of Pokemon to test them.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Usually I start off the game by grinding my starter Pokemon, aiming at evolving it before I reach the first gym, which is usually also the case. Depending on the generation I also almost always catch the starter bird for my team, because birds are super awesome, and I continue on from there checking what other cool Pokemon I can catch. Often I end up catching a lot of Pokemon at the start though, and end up getting so behind later on in the games because I have a lot of Pokemon in the games, however I always seem to have an easy start due to this lol

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I catch whatever is in the first areas of the game, then I commence level grinding. Sometimes the Pokemon on those early routes make it into my in-game team; sometimes not. But I raise the starter at least 7-8 levels at the very least in the early going.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I catch the first Pokemon I like, and then level it along with my starter. I usually tend to have 3 lvl 15 Pokemon before facing the first gym leader.

Back