• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do YOU help the world?

MyLittleShop

Click my eggs for free events
Years
How do you help make the world a better place? Do you donate? Do you recycle? Do you pick up trash off the ground? Please tell!

Here is a list of possible thing you can do to help the Earth:

- Donate
- Recycle
- Pick up trash
- Florescent light bulbs

If you don't do any of those, shame on you! However, you can make that up by playing this vocabulary game. For every question you get right, they donate 5 grains of rice. Answer enough questions to feed a starving child.

Here is the link to the game

Last edited:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
I just pick up chip packets...not really. I donate cans, mainly for the money though. I guess for the environment I don't use tonnes of water? Apart from my showers, then I use heaps. I recycle paper and stuff so yeah.

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
Years
The only thing I really do to help the world is recycle on a regular basis. A few years ago, there was a competition to see who could collect the most trash from the woods in our neighborhood. I didn't win but some people found old tires, plastic chip and paper bags, aluminum cans, etc. But I have to start doing some community service if I want to get into college. So cleaning a park wouldn't be a bad idea

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I can only send for recycling, those things which the waste people want to recycle. ಠ_ಠ

The course I'm taking at college is relevent to the environment — Habitat Management, horhor.

Last edited:

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
Erm...I'm pretty sure that isn't true XD;
Actually, I've heard of that before as well. Supposedly, when a plant or other biological substance is burned, all it's nutrients are condensed and returned to the ground. If you're just burning random things such as non biodegradable garbage... then no, that doesn't help. I don't understand that concept, personally...

The only real thing I do to help the earth is recycle at school and donate any spare to change I have to charity foundations. Granted, I usually don't have too much money on me besides a few nickels and dimes, but I do help in a very small way... Personally, I would love to do more to help the earth but I'm just so lazy in my habits.

Does anyone use those energy efficent lightbulbs?
I've thought about switching over to those before...

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
Years
Does anyone use those energy efficent lightbulbs?
I've thought about switching over to those before...

My dad uses Fluorescent lightbulbs with his lamps. The only difference between them and normal lightbulbs is that the Fluorescent lightbulbs take longer to light up than the normal ones. They sort of fade on. But I heard they save a ton of money in the long run.

Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2010
We use fluorescent lightbulbs in our house for every room but the kitchen which NEEDS the bright light. xD
I'm currently also trying to convince my parents to recycle. They care about the environment but they never do anything about it. There's a reverse vending machine outside of the Pathmark 7 blocks from here. My law class is also advocating for recycling bins and planting fruits and vegetables in our school and going around telling other schools and stuff to do the same.
Every little bit helps. c:

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
Years
I tried energy saving bulbs. They suck. They left our Blue & White room with a very, very, dim lit color. It was so dull, it blended with the room. That was painful.

We just use it to light the kitchen stove. It sucks there, too.

And shame for not doing better to protect the world? Bah. Let he without sin cast the first stone. So until you donate your body to save the earth, keep your rocks to yourself.

Just kidding.

But seriously,I refuse to play some stupid little game where they donate grains of rice. To hell. All that does is gives people a smug sense of self satisfaction. What, I don't play (well), they don't eat?If they have the rice, why don't they just donate it? I'm pretty sure people aren't saying "wah, this food didn't come from people who won the game, we don't want it".

The scam they had at Family Guy (you buy a toy, they save a gorrila; you don't buy t, they kill one) made more sense.

MyLittleShop

Click my eggs for free events
Years
Riiiight. Sim, your one of the people who will be destroying the world without realising it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
To settle that fire thing, if it hasn't been done already — fires and volcanic erruptions both renew the soil; once their phase of destruction is over you're left with fertile land where a nice new forest can grow. You wouldn't think so but apparently volcanic ash is extremely fertile.

The forest fires in America and bush fires in Australia are most times best left to their own course of action (it's nigh impossible to extinguish the former anyway).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I honestly don't care much about the environment, ahaha. I do care about wastefulness for selfish reasons though--it saves money. I recycle and reuse whenever possible because I was taught to from a young age so it's second-nature to me. It just makes sense, so I do it. Same with composting once they introduced green bins to my area when I was eight or nine. (Though we moved and it took me a while to get used to it again when they introduced it here the other year.)

Mostly, though, I'm careful with how much I waste. Paper is expensive. If I have to test how something's going to print, I try to do it on scrap paper before my good copy. I don't leave lights on needlessly in my house because electric bills are expensive. I turn the heat or AC down if I don't need it for obvious reasons too. I may not be the one paying the bills when I'm living at home, but I know I will be eventually and better to get into these habits NOW than after I'm struggling to pay. :P

I tried energy saving bulbs. They suck. They left our Blue & White room with a very, very, dim lit color. It was so dull, it blended with the room. That was painful.

We just use it to light the kitchen stove. It sucks there, too.
Really? I've used the swirly ones (haha, shut up that's the best description) and I find they're MUCH better than their regular counterparts. o_O My mom doesn't like it when I use them because they're "different" but I love having my room brightened up so much more by them.

:| She threw them out while I was away at school though so now I'm back to normal light bulbs. I should go buy them again.

As for the rice game (I should really quote that part of your post too but I didn't intend on replying to it and now I am and I'm lazy lol run on sentence), I agree with you on some parts, but remember that a lot of it is awareness. They're probably donating rice regardless of how many people play the stupid game, but by putting a game up, saying an equivalent of "you're saving the world by not failing English class" and getting popular enough that people recommend the site to their friends... well, that's a start. It's raising awareness to people who would otherwise not think about it. And who knows, maybe for every 600 people who stumble across the site and win a few games, they'll actually look into these things and donate time or money to the cause.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
Years
Erm...I'm pretty sure that isn't true XD;

Actually, now that I think about it, it could possibly be true. Have you ever watched a show on tv/movie/etc. where there's this huge forest fire and some time after it happens the trees start to grow again? I've seen stuff like that more than once ( before I stopped watching tv lol).

Now... what I do to help the world? Well, it isn't necessarily the world itself, more like the humans and animals that live on this world (though at the same time, I'm technically helping by not polluting and being part of a large number that do pollute and don't help the earth. x_x).

For the human part, I just try to be really nice to everyone I meet (offline and on), and if anyone ever has a problem or something that is bothering them, I try to help them the best I can, until it's no longer bothering them. :3

With animals, I recently joined FFA in my school, and the other day I volunteered to help at a rabies clinic at the fairgrounds. I filled out paperwork for the animals, and even helped this one man carry his 5 little kitties one by one over to the line where they get their free rabies shot. :3

-Neko

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
My family recycles religiously, my parents are both vegetarians ( couldn't convert me... ) and we are currently using solar panels to power about 30% of our average electricity intake.

Back