• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource [COMPLETED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Hey, I got some Cobalion sprites. Front sprite, front shiny sprite, and back sprite. I hope you can find them useful.
http://oi49.tinypic.com/x3epth.jpg
2zhr094.jpg
:D
First of all, thank you so much for contributing :)

Second of all, there are some minor issues with your sprites, and I had to edit them quite a bit. As a spriter myself, here is just my constructive criticism: It's pretty obvious that you didn't look at Cobalion's Sugimori art at all, and just relied on the details present in its original B/W backsprite, which is hard to see. Your backsprite had many anatomically incorrect details, that I corrected myself. Also you didn't exactly change the shading/outline style of the backsprite, looks to me like you just resized it. The 4th Gen backsprites are in a slightly different outline style than the 5th Gen backsprites. The front sprite had some "missed" pixels from cleaning up a resized sprite.

Do not take my advice offensively, it just for future reference. You still saved me some trouble, and your sprite was decent enough for me to work with. Here is my edits:
691-1.png

You will be added to the credits :)

For future reference, actually look at the Pokemon's Sugimori art. (also if anyone cares, I changed my Oshawott backsprite a bit to fix an issue with anatomy where I made it too fat)

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hey, Chaos. A quick question - when you come to the few Pokémon which are vastly different due to gender (I'm thinking about three Pokémon in particular - Unfezant, Frillish and Jellicent), will you create sprites for both genders, or just one of the two?

I agree with you that there's no point in doing male/female sprites for the majority, but what of those 3?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Hey, Chaos. A quick question - when you come to the few Pokémon which are vastly different due to gender (I'm thinking about three Pokémon in particular - Unfezant, Frillish and Jellicent), will you create sprites for both genders, or just one of the two?

I agree with you that there's no point in doing male/female sprites for the majority, but what of those 3?
I will create sprites for both genders, since those gender differences are more significant than Nidoran in my opinion. But only those 3, I won't do it for Pokemon like Venusaur, unless if people REALLY want me to.

EDIT: Made a minor change to Samurott's backsprite since it was really bugging me:
556-1.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Here are Sunkern and Sunflora: (feel free to fix :))
sunkern.png

sunflora.png
Problems:
*You enlarged the Sunkern front sprite. wtf!?!?
*The backsprites weren't resized with a scale factor of 80%. Looks to me like you resized Sunflora about 96%ish
*You didn't resize Sunkern's backsprite at all

Sorry, I'm afraid I won't be using any of these.

For future reference, here are the rules. I guess I forgot to mention that all backsprites are 80%, if you looked at my sprites you would have noticed that:
If anyone is interested in helping out, follow these guidelines:
*Anyone can help. You don't have to PM me anymore. Just post a sprite and if I like it, I'll use it.
*If you're resizing a Pokemon from Gen I-III, make it around the size that the Pokemon is in R/S/E
*All Generation I front sprites have to be resized from this sheet: http://i49.tinypic.com/bgwch2.png
*All Generation II front sprites have to be resized from this sheet: http://i49.tinypic.com/21446km.png
*All Generation III front sprites have to be resized from this sheet: http://i48.tinypic.com/bhbox.png
*ALL backsprites must be from HeartGold/SoulSilver, recolored to match the front if necessary
*ALL backsprites must be resized to 80% no matter what
*You are allowed to use custom sprites for Generation V Pokemon
*You are allowed to make a custom sprite for Rayquaza because all of its official sprites kinda suck
*If your sprite sucks, I will not use it. Simple as that.
When I said "same size as R/S/E", I didn't mean enlarge it. I meant shrink it if the D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W sprite is bigger than the R/S/E sprite. If it's smaller (believe it or not, some Pokemon are actually smaller on the DS games, like Togepi or Sunkern) do not enlarge the sprite, there's no point in doing that at all.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Problems:
*You enlarged the Sunkern front sprite. wtf!?!?
*The backsprites weren't resized with a scale factor of 80%. Looks to me like you resized Sunflora about 96%ish
*You didn't resize Sunkern's backsprite at all

Sorry, I'm afraid I won't be using any of these.

For future reference, here are the rules. I guess I forgot to mention that all backsprites are 80%, if you looked at my sprites you would have noticed that:

When I said "same size as R/S/E", I didn't mean enlarge it. I meant shrink it if the D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W sprite is bigger than the R/S/E sprite. If it's smaller (believe it or not, some Pokemon are actually smaller on the DS games, like Togepi or Sunkern) do not enlarge the sprite, there's no point in doing that at all.
Hahahahah well now I know :D
I might make another set, (now that I know) but not anytime soon :P :\

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2022
I don't post much on here (just lurkin) but I think this is a great project and I'm willing to help. I attached a Totodile front and back sprite to see if I'm doing it correctly (first time spriter). If it is, I will go ahead and do the shiny sprites as well. Thanks for the input.

Edit: can't post imgur url because I don't have 15 posts yet hahaha

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Just posting these to show that I'm not slowing down my pace just because I finished Gen IV...

557.png

558.png

559.png

I don't post much on here (just lurkin) but I think this is a great project and I'm willing to help. I attached a Totodile front and back sprite to see if I'm doing it correctly (first time spriter). If it is, I will go ahead and do the shiny sprites as well. Thanks for the input.

Edit: can't post imgur url because I don't have 15 posts yet hahaha
There's some minor outlining issues. But you got the size thing correct.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Just as a point of clarification, are the front sprites from the first post already recolored to what you want, or are we supposed to do that?

Edit: I'll just assume that it is. Here's my attempt:
2vlwoig.png

Hopefully it's up to scratch. I didn't end up resizing the frontsprite, because, from paw to firetip, it was the exact same size as the Gen III sprite. If this is an issue, I can resize it, although it seemed fine when I tested it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Just as a point of clarification, are the front sprites from the first post already recolored to what you want, or are we supposed to do that?

Edit: I'll just assume that it is. Here's my attempt:
2vlwoig.png

Hopefully it's up to scratch. I didn't end up resizing the frontsprite, because, from paw to firetip, it was the exact same size as the Gen III sprite. If this is an issue, I can resize it, although it seemed fine when I tested it.
Yes, the front sprites sheets on the first post are already colored to what I want. But why did you change the colors of Quilava's backsprite? The Quilava front sprite in the sheet is exactly the same as HG/SS, with no color alterations whatsoever, so the backsprite shouldn't have the different colors you used. Your backsprite has different color distribution to the HG/SS backsprite, which is weird because my front sprite is straight from HG/SS.

As for resizing the front sprite, you're not judging correctly. The amount of pixels does not matter at all, actually. Think of it this way: if R/S/E Quilava was to pose like HG/SS Quilava, how big would it be?

Asides from those issues I mentioned, you resized the backsprite perfectly (except it looks like you missed a few pixels on it's back fire, but I can fix that). Don't worry about fixing the front or backsprites, I'll resize the front sprite myself, but I'll use your backsprite after I fix the colors and fire. Thank you for your contribution :)

redriders180

Years
Yes, the front sprites sheets on the first post are already colored to what I want. But why did you change the colors of Quilava's backsprite? The Quilava front sprite in the sheet is exactly the same as HG/SS, with no color alterations whatsoever, so the backsprite shouldn't have the different colors you used. Your backsprite has different color distribution to the HG/SS backsprite, which is weird because my front sprite is straight from HG/SS.

As for resizing the front sprite, you're not judging correctly. The amount of pixels does not matter at all, actually. Think of it this way: if R/S/E Quilava was to pose like HG/SS Quilava, how big would it be?

Asides from those issues I mentioned, you resized the backsprite perfectly (except it looks like you missed a few pixels on it's back fire, but I can fix that). Don't worry about fixing the front or backsprites, I'll resize the front sprite myself, but I'll use your backsprite after I fix the colors and fire. Thank you for your contribution :)

Ah, I'm sorry. I'm generally a very analytic person by nature, so I typically use numbers, like pixel height, to figure out if things look right. I changed the color of the backsprite because I thought you changed the color of the frontsprite; I neglected to check with the existing sprites, so that was my fault. I couldn't figure out what part of the back fire I missed...My only conclusion was that you're talking about the flame to the farthest right, which doesn't have an outline. The original sprite also didn't have an outline there, so I was just emulating that. Of course, it's your sprite, so put any outlines you want on it :P

Of course, I don't mean to sound critical or anything. My main goal was to thank you, both for your sprites and for allowing me to help :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Ah, I'm sorry. I'm generally a very analytic person by nature, so I typically use numbers, like pixel height, to figure out if things look right. I changed the color of the backsprite because I thought you changed the color of the frontsprite; I neglected to check with the existing sprites, so that was my fault. I couldn't figure out what part of the back fire I missed...My only conclusion was that you're talking about the flame to the farthest right, which doesn't have an outline. The original sprite also didn't have an outline there, so I was just emulating that. Of course, it's your sprite, so put any outlines you want on it :P

Of course, I don't mean to sound critical or anything. My main goal was to thank you, both for your sprites and for allowing me to help :)
I'm talking about this:
fm89s.png

Yes, I know the right part doesn't have an outline on the original sprite, but the left part does. The outline looks really sloppy in your sprite, while in the original its really clean.

Also even though the sheets I posted for Gen I-III contain recolored sprites, not every Pokemon is recolored. I only recolor the Pokemon that don't look anything like their Sugimori art, such as Parasect or Golem. I've also recolored certain Pokemon to mesh better with their evolutionary families (and their Sugimori art), hence why I changed Gallade's red thing to maroon, because the Ralts family's red things in the B/W sprites are maroon, and Gallade's thing in its Sugimori art is also maroon, just like Ralts, Kirlia, and Gardevoir's Sugimori art. But there are plenty of Pokemon that I didn't change the colors at all, such as Charizard and Steelix.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I don't mean to sound angry or anything. I really appreciate it when people like you help, especially when they do a good job, because the way you resized the backsprite (not the color issue, but the actual clean up job you did) is actually really good.

redriders180

Years
I'm talking about this:
fm89s.png

Yes, I know the right part doesn't have an outline on the original sprite, but the left part does. The outline looks really sloppy in your sprite, while in the original its really clean.

Also even though the sheets I posted for Gen I-III contain recolored sprites, not every Pokemon is recolored. I only recolor the Pokemon that don't look anything like their Sugimori art, such as Parasect or Golem. I've also recolored certain Pokemon to mesh better with their evolutionary families (and their Sugimori art), hence why I changed Gallade's red thing to maroon, because the Ralts family's red things in the B/W sprites are maroon, and Gallade's thing in its Sugimori art is also maroon, just like Ralts, Kirlia, and Gardevoir's Sugimori art. But there are plenty of Pokemon that I didn't change the colors at all, such as Charizard and Steelix.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I don't mean to sound angry or anything. I really appreciate it when people like you help, especially when they do a good job, because the way you resized the backsprite (not the color issue, but the actual clean up job you did) is actually really good.

Oh, I see what you mean...I was looking at my sprite zoomed in, and I'm sure you know that viewing a sprite might look good zoomed in, but bad zoomed out. Now I can stop cluttering up your thread... Thanks again for everything...hopefully, I'll end up doing some more sprite work for you.

EDIT: I just saw you edited yours before I posted my response. For lack of a fancier way to say it, you don't sound angry. I'm honored that someone with your expertise in spriting thinks highly of me; I was worried the whole time that you'd hate it, to be honest. I'll definitely help as much as I can!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Oh, I see what you mean...I was looking at my sprite zoomed in, and I'm sure you know that viewing a sprite might look good zoomed in, but bad zoomed out. Now I can stop cluttering up your thread... Thanks again for everything...hopefully, I'll end up doing some more sprite work for you.

EDIT: I just saw you edited yours before I posted my response. For lack of a fancier way to say it, you don't sound angry. I'm honored that someone with your expertise in spriting thinks highly of me; I was worried the whole time that you'd hate it, to be honest. I'll definitely help as much as I can!
lol please do! Just for future reference, on average for most 4th Gen front sprites, I resized about 90%. There are indeed some Pokemon that don't need resizing, for instance, I did not resize Shellos, or Chingling. Pokemon like Koffing or Cyndaquil don't need resizing either. Just use good judgement I guess.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Hey Chaos Rush, how's 5th Gen going? Sice you have such magical powers, my works will never help you. But I can look forward to this.

redriders180

Years
Lets see if I can do this again...I decided to do Cyndaquil, because it seemed a little odd to start in the middle of an evolutionary line (Quilava is my favorite pokemon, which is why I jumped to it first). I took your advice and didn't resize the frontsprite (I hope you don't think I can only resize backsprites). Anyway, here it is:
2u8zzvs.png

I ended up spending nearly 45 minutes on the backsprite, and just as I was finished, I realised that HGSS and DPPt use different backsprites for Cyndaquil. I blame Bulbapedia; The normal backsprite was DPPt, and the shiny backsprite was HGSS -.-". I like the HGSS sprite more anyway.

I hope you like it D:

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Lets see if I can do this again...I decided to do Cyndaquil, because it seemed a little odd to start in the middle of an evolutionary line (Quilava is my favorite pokemon, which is why I jumped to it first). I took your advice and didn't resize the frontsprite (I hope you don't think I can only resize backsprites). Anyway, here it is:
2u8zzvs.png

I ended up spending nearly 45 minutes on the backsprite, and just as I was finished, I realised that HGSS and DPPt use different backsprites for Cyndaquil. I blame Bulbapedia; The normal backsprite was DPPt, and the shiny backsprite was HGSS -.-". I like the HGSS sprite more anyway.

I hope you like it D:
Your main problem is perfecting the outlining. Just make sure you look at the unresized sprite while cleaning up, and make sure every single outline is as clean as possible. These are my edits:
155.png

156.png

Also never, ever get your sprites from Bulbapedia. Lots of Pokemon had their backsprites changed in Pokemon Platinum to fix anatomy errors, and a few Pokemon had even more changes to their backsprites in HG/SS. I get all of my backsprites from veekun: http://veekun.com/dex/downloads Bulbapedia only has the crappy anatomically incorrect D/P backsprites. Make sure all of your backsprites are from veekun, and choose HG/SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back