• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Star Wars Episode VII announced for 2015

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Press release here

So, yeah. The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire LucasFilm, the production company behind the Star Wars franchise. As part of this, plans have already gone in motion to release a new Star Wars film, without the involvement of creator George Lucas, in 2015.

Thoughts? Feelings? Anything besides 'whaaaaa?' I'm all ears! :D

Sirfetch’d

I LOVE Star Wars. I just hope whoever helps make this doesn't ruin the series.

Years
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The whole thing is going to be ruined and I can't see any way Disney can improve on the originals; feels like they are just beating it with a stick to make more money.

Though, I do remember something about Mr. Lucas having 3 trilogy sets planned, but still... :(​

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
That Kathleen Kennedy is helming the new Disney-acquired Lucasfilm, is a bit reassuring. Her resume is good. Also, that Lucas is reduced to a "creative consultant" is also a plus. He is very creative. But can he write or direct for beans when he doesn't have a strong-minded producer challenging him? Nope. Not at all. He didn't write or direct the best of all six films - The Empire Strikes Back. He was essentially the creative consultant and conceptualized the story. So, if this means more films of that calibre, then I'm all for it.

Apparently there was a treatment for this sequel trilogy beforehand. This wasn't a Disney spearheaded initiative. It was in very early pre-production to begin with, but of course Disney owns it now and is moving forward.

Beyond this trilogy (or even beyond the one after that, I think Lucas once said he had planned 12-15 parts for this. But... he's not exactly reliable), I don't know if I want Disney to make a new one every two years. It seems... unnecessary and detrimental to the franchise's legacy. However, if after this trilogy they aren't making more trilogies but just stand alone films? That could work. Give the franchise some new legs and longevity with new films (like how Bond is still going after all these years) instead of just rereleases and butchered special editions.

Speaking of which. What's going to happen with the 3D theatrical rereleases? Are those still on track? Episode I bombed, but... I think we'd all like to see the Original Trilogy back on the silver screen again. I hope Disney proceeds with that (and in a much faster fashion than Lucas was going to).

Also, woo more Star Wars presence in Disney Parks! I want a whole Star Wars themed land.

Star Wars aside. Disney owns Indiana Jones now too. That one I'd rather they not mess around with

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The whole thing is going to be ruined and I can't see any way Disney can improve on the originals; feels like they are just beating it with a stick to make more money.

Though, I do remember something about Mr. Lucas having 3 trilogy sets planned, but still... :(​
Why do they need to improve the originals? Or touch them in anyway? George has made enough changes (for the worse in a lot of cases).

If they give us an unaltered theatrical cut (maybe the updated crawl for Episode IV) and a "definitive" Special Edition (proper colour and sound fields for one. Instead of the crap we got on Blu-ray and DVD. No Greedo shooting first or a dinosaur that blocks the entire camera. Or Vader shouting Noooooo! like you did above. Something more tasteful. They should take inspiration from the Revisited and Despecialized fanedits that circulate the web) and a 3D release just for kicks (this was planned to begin with, so it's not Disney beating a dead horse).

Disney and Lucas have had a strong partnership for a while. Waaay back in the early days of the Eisner-era, George was game. There was suddenly a park presense with Star Wars and Indy. A much stronger partnership between the two was likely. But, Eisner didn't want to give Lucas as much controlled as he wanted (this was a common thing for Eisner and the partnerships he built and then broke. See: Spielberg, Henson family, etc.). Iger on the other hand fixed the relationship (that's how we got a new version of Star Tours in the parks) and now this is the final result.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Only good thing I can see coming out of this, is possible another Lego Star wars game if they do more.

But honestly, Disney?
I'd rather Lucas do worse things to it, than give it to Disney.
Due to past experiences with Disney, I kind of don't want the actor in star wars breaking out into song in the middle of a light saber battle. Or waking up one morning to find one of the actors has now gone solo (Han Solo xD) and made their own record label.

In the Star Wars fandom I can actually see this causing way more arguements than anything Lucas did, done or will do. Worse than Greedo did not shoot First!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Only good thing I can see coming out of this, is possible another Lego Star wars game if they do more.

But honestly, Disney?
I'd rather Lucas do worse things to it, than give it to Disney.
Due to past experiences with Disney, I kind of don't want the actor in star wars breaking out into song in the middle of a light saber battle. Or waking up one morning to find one of the actors has now gone solo (Han Solo xD) and made their own record label.

In the Star Wars fandom I can actually see this causing way more arguements than anything Lucas did, done or will do. Worse than Greedo did not shoot First!
Right, because Disney's going to treat Star Wars like the Jonas Brothers instead of how they developed The Avengers?

Or Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Or Pirates of the Caribbean.

Or lots of other live action movies that you might not necessarily think of as Disney. Touchstone and Miramax were/are Disney, for instance

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
Idk I'll have to wait and see. Disney buying Lucas Films either made balance to the force, or completely shifted it, by a lot. But I cant judge as of right now. We don't know if Disney might do to LucasFilms, probably make it a great success like Marvel or throw it under a bus. I have mixed emotions. I hope to God they kill off the Jedi, they annoy me for some reason. Dark side all day err day. <--- joke.

But yea I just hope they don't screw up with this one. They have two super power things in their hands. Marvel and Lucas Films. What move will they pull off next?

EDIT - Disney has Pixar. And its a success as well. So bright future?

Last edited:
Years
sadfaslfjslgkjflgjdf

Disney owns Marvel, the Muppets, Pixar, and now Lucasfilm.

I am... hopeful. George Lucas isn't involved. Disney is what helped bring us all the recent good super hero movies. If they're just the financial backers then it's probably gonna be good.

When I heard that Lucas agreed to the deal because he felt he couldn't make another good movie I kinda felt bad. Like really bad. I never wanted him to give up. I wanted him to make good movies again.

And what did my local news just say? Theme parks?

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I'm not a fan of making more movies based on the main story, but I love the idea of an EU in movie form. (Come on, Darth Bane movies!) Though now I wonder if they'll introduce Mara Jade into the movie-verse. I can't imagine getting rid of her would be a very popular move. (though I'm all for ignoring the way Jacen's story was handled)

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Not suprised that a new movie is being made, there is still a lot of stuff they can do with the series.

Although, I'd prefer a new series of movies based on TOR's timeline, over continuing the main series.

Edit - Or movies based on some of the spinoff books... I really, REALLY, want a Death Troopers movie.

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm having mixed feelings about this. Both excited and scared. Disney has made some excellent films in the fast and presents, so they could possibly lead the franchise in the right direction. Though they could also drive it into the ground. Remembers Disney owns Marvel and since then those movies have been successful. The Avengers is the third-highest grossing film of all time. So if they can lead them in that direction, they might just be successful. Though they could also flop and be worse than the prequels.

So I'm kind of hopeful about this and I'm waiting to see what comes from it.

Years
Oh, I really hope they don't do any expanded universe stuff. I never really liked any of that. I'd prefer something entirely new.

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2022
If they do make a Star wars VII I would hope they would make it with new characters with a new problem. Against someone other than the Sith. Since the Sith are supposed to be dead now. Maybe add a Bounty Hunter that lasts through the 3 parts.

Hard to think what kind of conflict they would try to do.

Well, if they succeed in making a good new trilogy. Good for them, if it flops. At least we will see people complain about something other than Twilight.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
I swear Disney is going to buy everything. What's next? Their going to buy back all their Marvel characters, which is awesome. Buy Warner Brothers and DC? Sony? Nintendo? Microsoft? Dream Works? They have the power and money I think.

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
Years
Luke's Story has already been finished through the books. if they continue it, it won't follow the Skywalker family, but take an entirely new course. With how they handled the Avengers, I'm sure they'll do better than Lucas. If Disney were to screw up Episode 7, They'd get LOADS of bad press. Star Wars is almost as famous of a series as their own, original stories. They'll put the storywriting into good hands or all star wars fans will rise up and either attempt to DESTROY Disney Land, or boycott Dismarvpixar

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I swear Disney is going to buy everything. What's next? Their going to buy back all their Marvel characters, which is awesome. Buy Warner Brothers and DC? Sony? Nintendo? Microsoft? Dream Works? They have the power and money I think.
What do you mean buy back their Marvel characters? They own Marvel and the characters.

They can't make a Spider-Man film because of Sony's contract (which is essentially... if you don't use it, you lose it. That's why we got a sudden Spidey reboot instead of dwelling on how to continue or rescue the old series). But it is Disney's. They have a cartoon show for instance.

They can't use Marvel in theme park attractions east of the Mississippi for a while as that's Universal's domain. But they can sell merchandise. No problem there. Once Universal's time is up, they can use it at Walt Disney World. Just... legalities. They are free to use it at Disneyland, they just... haven't yet.

Of those you mentioned... Dream Works. Some wheels are already in motion, although incredibly slowly.

I'd like to see a partnership between Nintendo and Disney though

Years
Why do they need to improve the originals? Or touch them in anyway? George has made enough changes (for the worse in a lot of cases).

No no, sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant was, I can't see how they can make something better than the originals, I just don't know what they can do! :(​

Back