• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pok?mon Academy Life (Visual Novel) - DEMO v1.0.3a LIVE

How should characters be associated with Pokémon types?

• With their signature Pokémon (if any)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Based on their personalities

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2017
*Comes into thread and sees Kris is going to be in the game*

You sir have made my day, And even through I'm not much of a Flannery Fan I like her art.

Last edited:

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
*Comes into thread and sees Kris is going to be in the game*
Johto crew will be there ;)

And...
Spoiler:

Side notes: Finally got the class selection scene out of the way. That thing ate up so many hours it wasn't even funny. I probably took a roundabout way of coding it, but at least the job's done. Prologue is officially 99% complete. After some tweaks and updated art, I'll likely be able to release a public alpha demo showcasing that portion of the game.

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2018
Thanks for the fast response! I also wanted to apologize for my tone in my earlier post - I was tired at the time, and really could have been more polite.

Right now it's just me writing everything and coding everything, though I occasionally do get some volunteers who pitch in some ideas. My kid brother is doing all the character art and I have a couple of artists currently working on backgrounds. The vast majority of the current backgrounds used are placeholders.
That sounds pretty impressive. I like that it's your brother doing all of the art - it's a cool family project, and it's nice that the art style will be consistent.

The Reorchestrated tracks are fan content themselves and are licensed under the CC (NC/ND) for reuse without sale/modification. I've paid for the music myself because I fully support the creators.

As for any official-sounding music in general, it's under Copyright Disclaimer Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, under "fair use."

Biggest caveat is that this project is not for profit and "fair use" leans heavily in favor of non-profit endeavors. Same applies for most fan content, despite some occasionally getting C&Ds. It just happens. Considering this isn't bringing any profit, does not charge, does not put TPCi or Nintendo in any negative light, I personally don't see too much risk in pursuing this. But as always, no one ever really knows.
I admit that I don't know the legality of these things, but it sounds like you've done your research. That said, seriously be careful about using copyrighted material, since TPCI did go after that PAX party (supposedly) just for using artwork. That said, I think it would still be worth telling Skotein "hey, we love your music and want to use it in our game," so you can get his blessing and make sure everything's kosher.

For the former, I fully intend for the player character to befriend without romance involved. For the latter, the farthest I'm going with it is bromance for now. If I have time toward the end of this project, I can always squeeze in more scenarios, but it's not in the works at this time. I have a few ending scenario ideas that don't involve romance at all and are based on friendship, camaraderie, and all-around "warm feelings."

It's a topic that has come up quite a few times already, though, so it's something that I will keep in mind as the project develops. And if—big if—the project turns out to be popular enough in the future after completion, if there are any programmers who wish to continue the work, I will be more than happy to help create an option to play as a female character, which would more or less turn this into an otome game (or yuri-jam, however you want it). But that's definitely not in the works at the present time.
Fair enough, I'm sure making more romanceable characters is very time-consuming. If it's a time constraint thing, maybe consider sacrificing one female character as a potential love interest so as to include just one guy who can be romanced?

Currently planned are a series of general activities you can participate in during your "free time." Most involve personal stat boosting through events and challenges, relationship building with characters, and exploration. I'm certain I can fit interactions with Pokemon anywhere on that list. For example, one way to increase affection points with other characters is for both members to own a Pokemon of the same species. That's a good excuse to place the Pokemon up front and center.

That's a good idea in general, though, so thanks for that.

I'm currently wrapping up the prologue, so once I get into the meat of the game, it should be interesting just how much I content I can stuff in during the initial development phase.

Again, thanks for the feedback and for asking.
Those sound like neat ideas for activities. But hm, maybe instead of having to have Pokemon of the same species (which might be difficult for players to pull off and is a bit limiting), maybe it has to be of the same evolutionary tree, or just the same element or egg group? That gives players a bit more leeway, especially if they want to increase affection that way with multiple other characters.

I'm glad the idea is helpful! Building your relationship with your Pokemon would definitely be very unique for your game and could be a big draw for people who aren't as interested in the human characters, but like the game mechanics.

~Psychic

VisualJae

Years
This is great Man I love visual novels and I am glad yo're bringing this out. Best of luck to you. I know who i am pairing Red with first leaf/Green.
Thanks!

I think Leaf's route should be interesting. Not much to share at the moment, but it should be pretty epic.

Updated Whitney art:
Spoiler:

Also having fun moving sprites around. Excuse the lossy .gif.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Thanks!

I think Leaf's route should be interesting. Not much to share at the moment, but it should be pretty epic.

Updated Whitney art:
udnEJ9i.png

Also having fun moving sprites around. Excuse the lossy .gif.
BQeOGH5.gif
BQeOGH5.gif

BD1eb94.gifv
They look great! And to hear Green/leaf route is going to be great is a plus and Misty seem great in this but my number 1 for red is always green.

Last edited:
Years
This seems like a really ambitious project and I like the originality of the idea. I don't think I have even ventured into the game development or hack sections in all my time on the forum, if that helps give you an idea of how interesting this project is. The artwork is very good and seems like an interesting take on some of the popular Pokémon characters we know and love.

I look forward to seeing more in the future. Good luck!

VisualJae

Years
Thanks! A lot of working going into this and much more work still left to be done.

Character art update: Brock-senpai. He's going to graduate soon so he just wants to have some fun...
Spoiler:

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
Phew! Finally some of the updated backgrounds are coming together. It's been a real struggle.

Here's the updated version of the academy's main building:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
Some extra art updates I forgot to include last time.

Roxanne and Brawly, both will be upperclassmen at the start of the game.
Spoiler:

And a screenshot of a scene in an updated auditorium background.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
Good screenshots of the characters.I have a question are some of the characters together like Brendan and May are or they implied they are together.
I don't want to go too in depth for spoiler reasons, but yes, some characters are together or implied to be together. Plot-related, also it's somewhat more realistic to be in an environment where there are already characters with pre-established chemistry.

Added more screenshots with updated backgrounds, also included in the original post:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I don't want to go too in depth for spoiler reasons, but yes, some characters are together or implied to be together. Plot-related, also it's somewhat more realistic to be in an environment where there are already characters with pre-established chemistry.

Added more screenshots with updated backgrounds, also included in the original post:
Spoiler:

I really love your bro drawing skills I wish I could draw like that. If your bro looking to help more people to draw for there this dude looking for an artist,his name is averyindahouse. But yeah your Misty picture kind of making rethink who to go for Green or Misty uh! it so hard. lol

VisualJae

Years
With the completion of ShaunaClingy-chan, Kalos main cast is done.
Spoiler:

The next batch will likely be mostly Gen. V characters.

Last edited:

VisualJae

Years
Adding some more sample art updates.
Spoiler:

Since the BG artist didn't provide night versions, I have to manually go through each one and filter them on my own, which can end up taking a fair amount of time.
Spoiler:

As for other updates, the opening cutscene (transition from prologue) is about 50% done and only some remaining art assets and their implementation are holdbacks. So here's what a few seconds of it looks like:
dyBnmV9.gif

Will try to squeeze in around 5-7 characters per generation (gif shows Gen. I characters). Background music makes it hell of a lot better, but I won't be showing that just yet. It's implemented on my end, though.

Lastly, majority of prologue BG updates are done, still waiting on a few more. Some dialogue lines and their respective branches have been adjusted, but that's an ongoing process.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 27, 2016
This is not exactly my kind of game but your artwork is so beautiful that I will probably give it a try once a demo is out. Keep it going!

VisualJae

Years
No visual updates at this time, but progress is still going smoothly.

Edit: Eh, I guess I can throw in a screenshot.
Spoiler:

My character artist is currently assisting with a redesigned main menu, which should be completed before this Wednesday. After that he will be focused on completing the Gen. V main characters (Hilbert, Hilda, etc.) before tending to the main Gen. II characters (Ethan, Silver, Kris).

During that time, the background artist should be finishing the remaining updates to the prologue. As soon as that's completed and I compile the new assets, I can officially declare the prologue done (excluding miscellaneous insignificant tweaks and adjustments in the future).

I'm personally dedicating most of the effort on transitioning the various character routes from the prologue to a more universal opening for the main game.

The prologue's demo is still set to be released by the end of November. But again, it is the prologue so it's more about getting to know the setting more than diving straight into plot and character growth.

Last edited:
Back