• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Every Star Wars fan had their opinion to share on Disney's buyout of the Star Wars franchise.

What about the new announcement of director Abrams? Like him? Hate him? Think he'll give a good delivery or not?

Say what you want just discuss, cool thanks.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Firstly, I'm super excited that we're getting more films to the Star Wars saga! I loved all 6 movies and have watched them all so many times already that it's hard to keep count.

I think that J. J. Abrams was a good pick to direct the movies as I believe he has experience on directing and producing good films, especially sci-fi type movies. I just hope that he doesn't turn the new film(s) into a sequel of Star Trek.

I was reading an article about this same topic recently and here is a selection that certainly shows progress:

"Lucas, 68, gave Abrams his blessing on Starwars.com, saying the director was "an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

Abrams said his new role was "an absolute honor."

Disney had previously said Lucas would remain a creative consultant on the series.

Lucas himself said in October he had story treatments for Episodes 7, 8 and 9, which he would hand over to Kennedy, who assured him that she would adhere to his ideas."

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
His Star Trek film in '09 was more Wars-y than Trek-y, so I guess it'll be fine.

He's a safe, commercial, marketable choice. He respects the franchise and that era of film-making (Super 8). I think the film will be good and entertaining and probably better than the prequels and hopefully Return of the Jedi too.

But, I don't think he's the best choice. We think of Star Wars today as a commercial powerhouse. But back at the start of the franchise? George Lucas was seen as an art house director with flick like THX 1138 and American Graffiti under his belt.

I like Abrams, and I'm sure the movie will be fine. But, I think the franchise should have gone the way of recent Batman, Bond, Harry Potter, and Spider-Man films where they used more art-oriented filmmakers.

Also, he better not fill the movie up with lens flares

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Does anyone know when the new trio will be set? Or who/what the stories are supposed to feature? Other than the fact that they're being made and who the new director is I haven't heard anything at all about the films yet, so I'm very interested to see where they'll be taking them.

I'm pretty optimistic about the choice of director based on his track record and he's obviously passionate about the franchise so the result should be good, I'm just wondering whether or not we need a new trilogy... I thought the ending to VI was great, good enough at least to round off the story, so perhaps the franchise should've been left alone to stew in it's glory rather than risk the new additions? But we can't know 'till they're out I guess. I am looking forward to the special effects though, the advances since the previous films were made are pretty exciting!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to the new films. I just know I'm sure glad it's not George Lucas in charge of them. I think J.J Abrams is a great director choice though for the new Star Wars films. Could there be a better one? Probably, but I feel confident that J.J won't butcher the franchise.

BTW, there's still a lot of story that happens after Darth Vader died. The sith are still out there, in whatever part of the galaxy. Also, the Jedi Knight video games are considered Star Wars canon. Maybe we might see something to do with Kyle Katarn.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
Let's be honest: it could be a lot worse.

Abrams has the blessing of Lucas (if that's a good thing xD ), and the credibility of, at the very least, a decent director. I'm hopeful, but cautious too. We'll see how it goes.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
JJ Abram's directing them could be pretty awesome. He's a competent sci-fi director, and I can see why he's being used. One thing I hope to god that doesn't happen is lightsaber bloom.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to the new films. I just know I'm sure glad it's not George Lucas in charge of them. I think J.J Abrams is a great director choice though for the new Star Wars films. Could there be a better one? Probably, but I feel confident that J.J won't butcher the franchise.

BTW, there's still a lot of story that happens after Darth Vader died. The sith are still out there, in whatever part of the galaxy. Also, the Jedi Knight video games are considered Star Wars canon. Maybe we might see something to do with Kyle Katarn.
How are the games canon? They're part of the Expanded Universe

Years
Abrams is talented. I don't always like the way he does his stuff (he likes to spend a lot of time hiding that one thing from the audience for the whole movie), but Star Trek was good and I enjoyed it so I'm moderately happy that they've decided to put enough talent behind this project.

And I'm not a fan of the prequels so to my mind there's only room to improve.

Back