• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Decapitalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack1

Dragon Green
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2015
This is so awesome. I like to write my nicknames uncapitalized, and now enemies are uncapitalized too!

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I got used to the capitalization since you cant change it on Event Pokemon.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Finally, no more caps for Pokémon species names! I think the text will now flow much more smoothly now. I was really glad when they stopped all-caps'ing everything in 4th gen, when they only used all caps for species names (nicknames are normal caps). Now that everything is spelled normally, well, I think my interest just shot up. A lot. The text now won't clash with everything!

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Oh joy. Now I won't have to feel self conscious: "Should I put my name in all caps? Should I put my Pokemon's nickname in all caps? Why is that name in all caps?!"

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This makes me happy. Took'em five generations, but it's good to see they realized we were sick of sending out CHARIZARD and Lord knows we don't need to see "Wild SEED BBY appeared!" Decapitilization makes me happy.

Flan

has the bird flu.
Years
  • Age 27
  • NYC
  • Seen Oct 15, 2017
I honestly never really cared much about the random capitalization, probably because I got used to it and it is just one of those things in the series. It is a really pleasant change though. I'm sure tons of people are happy about it and it really didn't hurt at all to have regular syntax in the games for once. C:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Whoa...didn't expect so many people in this thread to be against the ALLCAPS featured in past games. :cer_laugh:

caution... The names could be decapitalized just for the demo version. When the game comes out, BOOM ALLCAPS. (even though I love that band)

:cer_laugh: I would ROFL if that happened. It appears that a lot of people would ragequit, assuming that the majority of players share this thread's majority opinion.

Oh joy. Now I won't have to feel self conscious: "Should I put my name in all caps? Should I put my Pokemon's nickname in all caps? Why is that name in all caps?!"

Heh-heh; this is probably why I'm more in favor of ALLCAPS rendering of Pokemon names. And I've been playing Pokemon Emerald for who knows how long, so I've gotten very used to it being onscreen. #_# But take for instance, the Pokemon Blaziken who I used to nickname BLAZER, but is now getting renamed TRAILBLAZR (truncating of TrailBlazer). With lowercase, I started wondering: is it TrailBlazr or Trailblazr? Do I capitalize the "B" due to the name being composed of two different words?! However, with ALLCAPS, I don't have to decide, as I can just stick with TRAILBLAZR to make it ambiguous.

But I have to agree, the decapitalization does look very nice in the battle text box on the bottom of the screen. In the HP Bar Box though, it just looks...strange in lowercase. Maybe it's the font...?

An idea that I had that could be optional is that the Pokemon's name in the HP Bar Box is in ALLCAPS regardless of the nickname, yet the name in the Battle Text Box preserves the original intentions of the nickname, rendering it in the original format. Personally, that would help me get more used to the regular casing, as seeing anything but ALLCAPS in the HP Bar Box is just plain weird...

This makes me happy. Took'em five generations, but it's good to see they realized we were sick of sending out CHARIZARD and Lord knows we don't need to see "Wild SEED BBY appeared!" Decapitilization makes me happy.

LOL...it's kind of interesting. This is the first generation where the players have apparently "matured", taking on an older appearance. In the same token, as you grow older, you learn to use proper grammar, capitalization, and syntax in writing (well, most of us do, I assume; can't say the same for some other people on the Internet). So as the player grows older and matures, the game "matures" as well and reflects this growth, thus "correcting" its error from past games, "learning" to use proper grammar in game text (in this case, using regular letter casing instead of ALLCAPS casing).

Awesome, now I don't get to feel like someone is screaming at me or trying to over-emphasize something.

BUT IT MAKES EVERYTHING FEEL IMPORTANT!!!! :D In past games, at least it made sense: children (10-year-olds in this case) tend to emphasize everything in conversation when they're excited. And, IMO, few things are more exciting to a child than getting to go out adventuring on your own and proceeding to kick butt with your powerful elemental monster buddies. :)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Decapitalization is a Godsend for me. This is mainly because in the first generation peoples' names were ALL CAPS, so when I only capped the first letter of my rival's and my name, it would be inconsistent with the rest of the games' characters, luckily it was changed in later generations. Basically, I am glad to hear that this is applying to pokemon species names as well.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Never actually stated my thoughts here. :D;

I'm fine either way tbh, because yes, random capitals are annoying, but... we've had them for so long so it'll be sort of hard to get used to, unless I just see it as EVERY POKEMON in the games having a nickname!

I'm still thinking they'll change it back to all capitals at last minute to annoy people, but we'll see~

Logan_AT

Often Lost in Thought
Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2014
Dangit, I've gotten too used to leaving my Pokemon's names capitalized...now I will have to be deliberate about it!

Or cause everyone to question my sanity by aLtErNaTiNg CaPs. :X

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I prefer it like that. It always gets on my nerves when names are all capitals, or don't start with one.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
This whole capitalization thing never really bugged me with Pokemon names ('cause you're supposed to yell during battle, right?), just with the people's and item's names. This is going to be an interesting change.

Last edited:

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
They should've done it earlier. Those newly migrated Pokémon aren't going to blend in now, are they?

They should've done this in the fourth generation like they initially planned to.

Exactly what I was thinking

____ sent out Tepig, Oshawott and Snivy.
Go!!! SALAMENCE, LUCARIO and Zoroark.

But yeah they should've started this in the fourth generation.

And then I'll have to rename them all over to realise I forgot a letter. (Lucrio) xD
But this will be an issue with events and traded Pokemon.

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
Years
I couldn't be happier that they finally fixed this. It's been bugging me ever since I picked up the series at age ten. Grammer does not work that way! Why didn't they do this in the first place, I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back