• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gym leader you mostly struggled?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
The Gym leader you mostly struggled with?

Who's the most irritating Gym Leader in all games that you faced?

For me, it's Whitney. I battled her in Crystal a few years back and she beat me so many times until I used Kadabra and Quilava to beat her in Level 25 around there.

But which Gym did you have trouble with?

Last edited:

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I was just reminiscing about how hard Watson was in Emerald. When I didn't pick Mudkip, which was a lot of the time, I had a lot of trouble with Magneton and Manectric. Oh and he had Super Potions. And Paralysis.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
For me it would be witney, just cuz of her bulky as heck milktank and Clair with her over leveled kingdra that spams smokescreen. My starter was Typhlosion so it was more difficult.

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
Yeah, Watson was very annoying unless you picked Mudkip. Also Flannery, Sabrina and Clair. XP

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
As a child... Whitney xD
Now in HG, I used SelfDestruct, 4 hit win :D xD
But the one I still struggle with somehow is Tate and Liza in Emerald, I think it's because I rarely get anything strong against Psychic types :P

Years
Oh god, definitely Norman.

Those Slakings of his kept sweeping my team, unless if I did excessive level-grinding.

Elite Four Grimsley

flipping the coin of fate
Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2015
I'd say both Norman and Whitney. Those normal type Gym Leaders definitely prove to be formidable opponents with such relatively useless Pokemon.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
When I was a 6 year old playing Crystal, Whitney gave me a very hard time.

Lenora in Black and White was mildly difficult for my team of only a Purrloin and Pidove. I eventually citched my Purrloin, its defenses were just too awful.

UnlethalMango

[Insert Witty Title Here]
Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2020
I say Brawly. Why? Because my team had not developed enough to be able to defeat him easily. I had to defeat him with a bunch of X Defenses...

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Never noticed this thread,

that would be Sabrina on Yellow for me, cause of the anime said only a ghost pokemon could beat her psychic pokemon I when in with a whole team of gastly.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
When I played Ruby for the first time, I kept being beaten by Brawly. Later on, I had a tough time with Lenora and Whitney.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
It depends on what team I am using. Whitney is always hard unless you have a good fighting type like Heracross. Norman was SORTA hard, but Slack Off really helped in defeating Him. I personally had more trouble with Cheren in white 2 than ANY OTHER leader. Those work ups really make him hit hard.

Years
Because I was being stubborn, the leader that I struggled with the most recently was Roxie. My team was made up of only my Snivy and Riolu at that point, both of whose attacks are not very effective against Poison types. I actually lost to her three straight times before finally winning, and even then I refused to add any other Pokemon to my team (I had 5 by the time I faced Burgh).

WildDevon

XXX
Years
If we can shift this to Elite 4 for a second I'd like to shed light on how hard Lorelei was in Fire Red. I'm pretty sure I wanted to kill myself or break my gameboy sp in half countless times. Regarding Gym Leaders we can all agree Whitney was pretty dang hard. And all I can say for Norman was it was a good thing I had a Breloom with Mach Punch and Leech Seed. :P

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Lt. Surge, Whitney, and Elesa are three of the gym leaders that I've struggled with the most. If I'm going to face them next, my Pokemon must be overleveled (about 3-5 levels over their Pokemon) before I face them. Plus, before reaching them, I have to have special Pokemon to beat...or else I am dead meat.

Back