• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
So as the title would poorly indicate...
What do you nickname your pokemon?
If you come up with your team before playing, do you also pre-select their names?
Why did you name your pokemon this?
How do you feel about traded pokemon with nicknames selected?
If you don't nickname your pokemon, wynaut? xD
And anything else you can come up with!

Mewtwomew

The fool with the plan
Years
Yes, I plan put my team's names using.... food! EX: "Go Cake!". It's recurring theme in my style of playing pokemon games. It's 'mah thang. Now, would you kindly... answer your own questions? :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
i usually just go for the most obvious feature on the pokemon like my unfezant is named Beaky lol

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
Blegh. It depends...if I plan on using the catched Pokemon as a part of my team, then I often will name it...it makes them feel more special. XD

How? I often just take a part of the Pokemon's name, use it as a prefix, and then put a word that relates them, or it's often just a bunch of letters that sound cool together. XD Or I'll just name them something cool or simple, like I did with my first Pokemon, Infernape, named "Inferno". :3

KantoSwag

Kanto Wanderer
Years
If you come up with your team before playing, do you also pre-select their names?

Depends on the Pokemon; though some examples would be: Blastoise/Hydro, Charizard/Flame, Blaziken/Blaze, Bronzong/Dotakuun, Garchomp/Gabalis

I try to have a name fitting for each Pokemon. I tend to like the Japanese monikers so some I will just convert their name to the Jap ones

I feel the (in game) traded pokemon names are retarded

If I don't nickname them, either I cannot come up with anything or I like their names the way they are already

So yeah....

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Yes, I plan put my team's names using.... food! EX: "Go Cake!". It's recurring theme in my style of playing pokemon games. It's 'mah thang. Now, would you kindly... answer your own questions? :D

Sure thing.
I nickname my pokemon based on their appearance, moveset, abilities, etc
Yes I do pre-select my names, along with my team :)
Pokemon Emerald Team all Lv. 62 currently
Gem/Swampert In my hack, a "gem" is something different, I won't go into detail however xD
Feather/Swellow Feather, bird, flying, speaks for itself xD
Natural/Breloom Mushrooms come from nature xD
Guardian/Flygon The Desert Guardian, as it guards the desert, I think that's what the pokedex says is one of it's names xD
Voltage/Pikachu Umm, voltage? Means electricity, you know where I'm going with this
Shadow/Absol The Valley of the Shadow of Death, idk, seemed right for a pokemon that shows up to witness disasters, no it doesn't cause them, just comes to watch xD

So long as the traded name isn't something dumb like trollface, or a bunch of symbols %&$& I can mostly deal with traded pokemon, in-game trades have derpy names as KantoSwag said.

I nickname all my pokemon, sounds weird, but I feel more attached to them this way xD

Last edited:

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
Magster was the only ever nickname I've given, and it was to a Magmar lol.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I give my main party Pokemon nicknames, but due to my horrible lack of creativity, they all get generic boy/girl names... even the genderless Pokemon, and I seem to recycle some names so some of them keep popping up over again on my Pokemon.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Before I didn't care about nicknames, but more recently, I have been interested in giving Pokemon some sort of nickname with a meaning for the species of Pokemon. Primarily Swahili and Kinyarwanda style nicknames, others I'll give them nicknames from movies or tv shows or comics - also the nickname should match the gender of the Pokemon.

Some of the nicknames I really like are "Xandra" and "Ch'marr" (don't know if the comics are even online anymore, both used to be nickname of anthro cheetah comics, from early 2003 I loved reading)

Years
I think it was about the time when I first starting playing Sapphire when I started nicknaming all of my Pokemon (sans legendaries). I basically saw it as that I wouldn't name a dog "Dog," or a hamster "Hamster," so why should my Pikachu be named "Pikachu?"

When it comes to giving a Pokemon its nickname, I have no real formula. I've done different things like give them their species name in a different language (Dracolosse the Dragonite, Heiteira the Blissey), come up with an anagram (Daniel the Ledian, Kamazala the Alakazam), or a real name similar to their species (Luka the Lucario, Angela the Tangela). The latter of those three is what I've been doing most often as of late, though.

Years
I usually do plan my nicknames when I'm planning my team (I have to as I'm such an indecisive person lol) - although on my current run through of Emerald I forgot to do that and just nickname them quickly on the spot lol :) Sometimes I'm proud of how they turn out lol, like Rhyhorn became Ryback (after a current WWE wrestler) :)

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
I haven't played my Black 2 game in three months, I finally pulled it up today to find a hip-hop artists theme going on with my Pokemon. My Volcarona is named Wakaflocka, my Scolipede is named Doom, Samurott = Suga T, Swoobat = Panda (I'd like for there to be a rapper out there named Panda. If there's not, I'd be happy to take that role.), anddd Drilbur = Drilbur. Apparently I'm just using him for Strength and Dig, so why bother

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I nickname all my Pokemon! It'd take me way too long to list all my games and all the teams and names though. But I'll name them anything and everything really. Sometimes I like funny names, sometimes song titles, sometimes human names, names of a creature, etc. There are some Pokemon that I always name the same thing though. I name all my Aipom Klippy (or Klip in Japanese games), Staryu/Starmie are Aili, Nidoran m is Sakaki, Flygon is usually some sort of play on the name Alex (Alexandre, Aleksandra, etc) and that's all I can think of for now.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I have always wanted a PhD in Theology, so I name my Pokèmon after deities, gods & goddesses.

i.e. My Archeops named "Palioxis" (In Greek mythology, Palioxis was the personification of backrush in battle) & my Scoliopede named "Achyls" (The female spirit of the death-mist, the clouding over of the eyes preceding death. She may also have been the goddess of poisons.)

Naming them after gods, based on what type of Pokèmon they are, always leads to interesting bits of knowledge :) .

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
I don't nicname any of my pokemon. I get so confused when I do :X

There is one exception though, I do name my growlithe "Growlie" and always have since I was a kid, which I named BEFORE I saw the episode where James had his "Growlie" ;P

when I saw that episode I was just sitting there like, "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat...."

shadowpikachu0426

Just me, what did you expect?
Years
I always find myself nicknaming my Pokemon, namely starters, after either their element in a different language or a color in any language.

EX: I named my Oshawott Teal, my Cyndaquil Benki (Kanada for Fire/Flame), Pikachu would be something like Storm, Denki (Japanese for Electricity) or something, Eevee would be something like Anders (German for Different).

Honestly, I don't know why I do this, I kinda got the idea after reading (and honestly writing several terrible) fanfics. :embarrass

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
I normally nickname them something to do with what their designs refer to. Also, I do a little search on the ideas that helped that pokemon to came out and try to put something related to it in the nickname.
When I'm lazy though I still nickname them but with more cure and poor nicknames like 'Vappy' and stuff like that.

I used to pre-select their nicknames a few months ago but now I just think about it whenever I catch them, because this gives me more feeling.

I think that traded pokemon really shouldn't learn a new nickname and they did the right thing not allowing this, because for me it's what makes sense.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
I nickname my party after the first object I lock eyes on when I catch/receive the Pokemon. For example my Zubat's name could be anything from hat to toothbrush. I know it's a bit ridiculous, but I have been using this method since I was 5 and I do not plan on changing it anytime soon.

sorry for not answering any of the other questions you asked*

Back