• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Armstrong faces lifetime ban, loss of 7 Tour titles

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Code:
U.S. Anti-Doping Agency  chief executive Travis Tygart says the
agency will ban Lance Armstrong  from cycling for life and strip him of his
 seven Tour de France titles  for doping.

Armstrong on Thursday night dropped any further challenges to USADA's 
allegations that he took performance-enhancing drugs to win cycling's 
 premier event from 1999-2005.

Armstrong says USADA doesn't have the authority to vacate his Tour 
 titles. However, Tygart told The Associated Press that USADA can do it.

Tygart called the Armstrong case a "heartbreaking" example of a 
win-at-all costs approach to sports.
Say it isn't so lance D:

Should the USADA take his titles away, and is it okay for an athlete to use performance enhancement drugs?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
If he was doped up for any of those wins, then yes they should take them away and award it to the runner up. But I don't think they can prove that

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
They shouldn't take his titles away because drug testing competitors before the events take place is on their hands. If they didn't, it's now possible that everyone in those 7 races were doping. But if they do prove that he was, I don't see any problem with him being banned from future events.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Fun fact: if this does happen (he gave up on defending himself SOOO), then 9 of the last 15 Tour de France titles will be stained by doping. Woo yeah!

But it gets better- a good amount of runner-ups are also suspected of doping so, if they start rechececking the blood tests, they'll have to give the titles to the 5th place rider or something. It's going to be very fun.

Banning him from future events would be like banning George Bush from running for US president ever again because of the 2000 shenanigans- nobody is going to notice a damn difference with how the world was the day before.

Years
Personally, I would think that something as damning as a doping charge would illicit more of a response from Lance. This kind of raises a red flag with me as to his guilt.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Oh, also, more news about this: the TdF organization said that, in case the International Cycling Federation accepted the USADA charges, the 7 tours Lance won would be left vacant, as (as I already mentioned), several runner-ups were also charged with doping.

A really ugly stain for the competition.

Back