• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Player Customization

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
I think it's pretty obvious that it will be implemented. When Yu-Gi-Oh switched to 3D models in their games, that's when they added customization. It's a lot easier to have customization with 3D models than sprites. The only question in my head is the extent of which it will go. It will probably be limited to clothing, and accessories, due to the fact most games have a canon head characters.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I think it's pretty obvious that it will be implemented. When Yu-Gi-Oh switched to 3D models in their games, that's when they added customization. It's a lot easier to have customization with 3D models than sprites. The only question in my head is the extent of which it will go. It will probably be limited to clothing, and accessories, due to the fact most games have a canon head characters.

Yeah, I remember when games like Animal Crossing: Wild World introduced hats and eye-wear, and soon with Animal Crossing: New Leaf having Shoes and other accessories.

Because of the 3D in newer games... has given developers the opportunity to bring in more unique features. And yeah, I do think Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would be limited to hats, clothing, shoes and many different accessories.

They could also give the player options on where to put the eye-wear as well, seeing as we've seen the sunglasses on the player's hat in the trailer. ;)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah, I remember when games like Animal Crossing: Wild World introduced hats and eye-wear, and soon with Animal Crossing: New Leaf having Shoes and other accessories.

Because of the 3D in newer games... has given developers the opportunity to bring in more unique features. And yeah, I do think Pokémon X and Pokémon Y would be limited to hats, clothing, shoes and many different accessories.

They could also give the player options on where to put the eye-wear as well, seeing as we've seen the sunglasses on the player's hat in the trailer. ;)

Oh talking of eye-wear, I wonder if we can wear makeup if we do indeed have customisation. I mean much like the mii's, p much. Actually I kind of hope that if we can wear makeup that we get a good control over how we look and the design we can wear each day :3 BUT still I hope we don't get to alter too much, I'd like to keep the protagonists the same overall, but still, minor changes I'd embrace.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Eh, it may be in there, but, personally, I don't care.

I really don't understand why people care about what their character looks like - it doesn't matter. I don't think adding in the feature would add anything to the game (especially since any customization will probably be in the style of The Sims which pretty much makes it impossible to make the character look like you anyway).

I'm not against it, per se, but if its there, it's definitely a feature I'll ignore.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I certainly want the opportunity to customize my player. You only get two options to create your character's looks, which are, to play either a male or female character, and therefore, have to either carry a blue or a pink bag respectively, which in my opinion is a very limited selection. :( I hope to see at least a wide range of characters so that we can choose one that we like the look of the most. If not then there should be an option where we can choose what clothes to wear, and what color bag we'd like to take on our journey.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I think we'll end up with player customization. I recently played the new Fire Emblem game demo on the 3DS and it starts you off customizing your character (of course it's the demo so you can't really do much).

And while yes this is a completely unrelated game, it at least shows that the capabilities are there and it can be done right so whose to stay GameFreak won't be doing this too?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Oh talking of eye-wear, I wonder if we can wear makeup if we do indeed have customisation. I mean much like the mii's, p much. Actually I kind of hope that if we can wear makeup that we get a good control over how we look and the design we can wear each day :3 BUT still I hope we don't get to alter too much, I'd like to keep the protagonists the same overall, but still, minor changes I'd embrace.

Hm... makeup... it would be interesting to see players be able to customize their character with makeup in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Yeah something like how you design the Mii character, minus the eyes, nose and mouth.

Maybe there could also be a hairdresser in the game as well where you could customize your hair. That would be interesting. :3

PoisonEmeralds

Rookie ROM Hacker
Years
Did anyone else notice the first clip in the trailer where the player is standing in front of a mirror? Maybe this means we might finally get customization.. Hmmm
I really hope we do because the character in the trailer looks god awful. >< I doubt we will though knowing nintendo -.- such trolls they are....

AoE-Valcar

Whovian
Years
Customizable Characters?

I've heard that in Gen VI we actually might be able to customize the character! Has anyone else heard this rumour and if you have and if it is implemented do you think it'll be like in Gen III where their will shops that sell clothing like how they sold furniture for the secret bases or it will start you with default clothes and you can change the colors?

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
I heard of it. And I really like the idea. Have a store where they sell accesories* ^-^ Would be a fun feature.

AoE-Valcar

Whovian
Years
Sell Hoodies, and jeans and that sort. I might actually buy a 3DS if you can, if not i can wait for my birthday to get one. Their arent very many games out yet i think i would like so i haven't really thought about getting it.

Years
I would say having shops, but also it would be cool if there were like unlockable items kinda like now B/W2 had the medals.
ps unlocking a Chespin hat is mandatory :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
If there will be a huge shopping tower, they could add shops that sells clothing and accessories there.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Um...yeah? That would be great...but I don't like shopping so I guess I'll just skip it. Or maybe not.

Vyria

♔ lower your expectations ♔
Years
I heard this too, and it sounds really exciting.
Customization is one of my favourite features in games, I get attached a character easier and it also helps make a game more replayable and changes the experience.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
I'm 90% sure they'll do clothing. But, what if they chose you to customise your own face? Wouldn't that add a twist?

AoE-Valcar

Whovian
Years
I would say having shops, but also it would be cool if there were like unlockable items kinda like now B/W2 had the medals.
ps unlocking a Chespin hat is mandatory :)

That is a good idea. Maybe you could unlock items with the medals and you get a medal for choosing your starter and whatever starter you get you get a hat of the starter? Id probably get a chespin hat too!

Back