• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

#Toonami

Years
I watch Naruto mainly. I've seen FMAB, Cowboy Bebop, and some of Inuyasha, so I'm not really concerned with missing those (plus I have work in the mornings so it's not ideal to stay up too late). I sometimes watch Thundercats. I haven't seen Soul Eater before, so I might start watching it to see what the obsession's about.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm pretty excited to hear Soul Eater's coming to Toonami. I haven't finished the series yet and with it being on TV I just might.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Soul Eater on Toonami? That sure is exciting. I don't tend to watch Toonami often, but that might coerce me into doing so...

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
We're never going to get Tiger and Bunny there, are we? D: Ah well, Soul Eater's pretty cool from what I've seen of it. Definitely seems like a show capable of attracting the typical Toonami crowd.

Years
The replacement for Samurai 7 has been revealed / leaked and has been confirmed by toonami.tumblr.com!

soul-eart.png

Soul Eater is coming to Toonami starting February 16th!​

This is actually something I've been interested in giving a shot for a while. This will probably be a good way to go about watching it!

I wish they' throw a little Code Geass in there, but that lineup works for me. Not really feeling the dub for the new Bleach, though. :/

I don't think that'll be possible for a while. Bandai Entertainment has been in full retraction mode since early last year within North America, and I doubt they'll be selling the licensing rights for a show as popular as Code Geass for a price low enough for Toonami to be able to afford airing it.

We're never going to get Tiger and Bunny there, are we? D: Ah well, Soul Eater's pretty cool from what I've seen of it. Definitely seems like a show capable of attracting the typical Toonami crowd.

Probably not until we generate even higher ratings for Toonami, unfortunately.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Wow really?

They have TERRIBLE timing.

I already started watching Soul Eater on my own because they took WAY to long to realize that they should air it.

I'm not going to stop watching it just because it's airing on TV now. I've already watched 16 episodes anyway.

I'm not saying I won't watch it on TV, I will. I'm just not going to stop watching it via other means as well. Basically... I'll be watching it twice as much. One episode on Adult Swim/Toonami and 4 episodes via other means.

The only people you can blame is Adult Swim/Toonami for taking this long to realize they should air it.

=/

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
That manga is apparently still publishing although there hasn't been a new chapter in 11 months. Would not be surprised if it ends before reaching a real conclusion.

It's actually coming back this month. It's been on hiatus for so long because one of the production members had a baby. There's not too much left to resolve, so I wouldn't be surprised if the final arc was only one volume long.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Aniplex USA has started a poll on their Facebook page asking people which of their titles they'd like to see on Toonami.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/questions/598214373525845/

So far, the most voted shows are Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, and Gurren Lagann.

Fate/Zero looks like it would be a good show. And I still think that Gurren Lagann is one of the shows that HAS to be on Toonami as some point.

Madoka Magica though...I say no. A show filled with cutesy moe girls isn't going to keep [adult swim]'s casual audience around.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Madoka Magica though...I say no. A show filled with cutesy moe girls isn't going to keep [adult swim]'s casual audience around.
Do you remember Super Milk Chan's debut on Adult Swim in 2004? If something as girly and outrageously stupid as that wasn't a flop, an actual anime like Madoka Magica wouldn't be any more of one. I would actually enjoy being able to watch it on television, along with Fate/Zero, one I haven't seen. Actually, I'm not sure I'd be opposed to bringing any anime into the Toonami block. Bring on all the animu!

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Do you remember Super Milk Chan's debut on Adult Swim in 2004? If something as girly and outrageously stupid as that wasn't a flop, an actual anime like Madoka Magica wouldn't be any more of one. I would actually enjoy being able to watch it on television, along with Fate/Zero, one I haven't seen.

I have no idea how Super Milk Chan did in ratings back then, but that was also at a time when [adult swim] was still running anime on weeknights. Still, it was a comedy, which is [as]'s thing pretty much. But this about what is appropriate for an action cartoon block primarily aimed at the 18-34 year old male demo. Magical moe girls may appeal to hardcore otaku, but that is not Toonami's target audience.

I've heard good things about Fate/Zero, so maybe they'll pick it up one day.

Actually, I'm not sure I'd be opposed to bringing any anime into the Toonami block. Bring on all the animu!

Remember, Toonami isn't an anime block, it's an "action cartoon" block. Not all anime belongs on the block. Example: K-On. If that show were to air, there would be a huge backlash. That would be worse than when they were forced to show Hamtaro and Wulin Warriors.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Remember, Toonami isn't an anime block, it's an "action cartoon" block. Not all anime belongs on the block. Example: K-On. If that show were to air, there would be a huge backlash. That would be worse than when they were forced to show Hamtaro and Wulin Warriors.
Of course, and when I said that I didn't mean that any and every anime belonged, I just wouldn't be opposed to anything Toonami would bring on-board. Naturally that doesn't include anime they don't consider, and, like you said, something such as K-On! would be a huge no-no.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I would love to see Sword Art Online during on Toonami. That seems like the sort of show you could expect to air there back when they were on in the afternoon, just aged up ever so slightly.

Years
Fate Stay/Night, maybe, but I doubt Fate/Zero will ever be on Toonami since it's premiering on Neon Alley soon. Although I certainly wouldn't be upset if it did end up there- Aniplex isn't exactly known for putting reasonable prices on their stuff, so that'll be the only way I'd ever get to see it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Have you seen Madoka, though? It may be magical girls, but it's not Pretty Cure or DoReMi.

I haven't seen it, but I've read enough about it. I know it's really dark, but the cutesy designs of the characters aren't going to fit in well. (I was told the show isn't even all that violent.) This is the network that has aired Cowboy Bebop for over 10 years. I really can't see them picking Madoka up.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
In my opinion,Toonami is coming back in a really good way. I watch all of the shows on there (Except Thundercats & Titan. They just don't interest me and seem out of place on the lineup. Although I have heard they're good). My only small dislike is Naruto coming back instead of Naruto Shippuden. Disney XD hasn't aired the show in what seems like over a year, why didn't Toonami bother getting it from them? If Toonami wants to air Naruto, why not air back to back episodes? The show is one of my favorites, but it's too slow to air one episode a week. I'd like to see Trigun & Blood Plus return, taking the place of Titan and Thundercats. Add Deathnote somewhere in there and they've got a solid lineup.

But as for shows that have never aired on Toonami that I think would be a good fit, I'd pick the following: Hell Girl, Sword Art Online, uhhhh...Fairytale?(Never saw it but I know ppl who rage over it as being a very good show, so I'd like to check it out myself on TV), and possibly the Devil May Cry anime? Seriously, since the anime network channel is gone from Verizon Fios TV, I miss that show a lot. I'd like watching that and Blood Plus back to back during later hours.

But yea, Woo Toonami!

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I haven't seen it, but I've read enough about it. I know it's really dark, but the cutesy designs of the characters aren't going to fit in well. (I was told the show isn't even all that violent.) This is the network that has aired Cowboy Bebop for over 10 years. I really can't see them picking Madoka up.

Madoka would pick up and hold a better crowd than Thundercats could because Madoka's already got an established fanbase who would watch it because, as said earlier, Aniplex overprices their stuff by an insane amount. As for the violence, there's a major character death 3 episodes in as well as various other fights/deaths sprinkled throughout. While not gruesome, the violence still stands.

It's entirely plausible for Toonami to pick up Madoka, especially since it's so short.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
In my opinion,Toonami is coming back in a really good way. I watch all of the shows on there (Except Thundercats & Titan. They just don't interest me and seem out of place on the lineup. Although I have heard they're good).

I would suggest at least giving ThunderCats and Sym-Bionic Titan a chance. ThunderCats has beautiful animation and Titan is very intense for a show originally on daytime CN. Watch the Toonami promos for both on YouTube when you get a chance.

My only small dislike is Naruto coming back instead of Naruto Shippuden. Disney XD hasn't aired the show in what seems like over a year, why didn't Toonami bother getting it from them? If Toonami wants to air Naruto, why not air back to back episodes?

According to the Toonami tumblr, Disney still owns Shippuden even though they no longer run it, so they can't get it. And running multiple episodes a night would cost more, so they can only run 1.

Madoka would pick up and hold a better crowd than Thundercats could because Madoka's already got an established fanbase who would watch it because, as said earlier, Aniplex overprices their stuff by an insane amount.

I disagree with that. ThunderCats has become one of the most popular and highest rated shows on Toonami right now, holding over 1 million viewers at 1am multiple times, and beating Naruto a few times as well.

Madoka comes across as a show made for otaku, which is why they shouldn't get it. The hardcore otaku aren't watching Toonami anyway, and even if Madoka did get picked up, I'm sure it's online somewhere already, so they're not going to wait to watch only 12 episodes over a 3 month period.

I think that's also a good reason why Naruto is probably doing so well on Toonami right now. I know a lot of the hardcore anime fans hate Naruto, but it hasn't had a bad night yet.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I think that's also a good reason why Naruto is probably doing so well on Toonami right now. I know a lot of the hardcore anime fans hate Naruto, but it hasn't had a bad night yet.

Naruto was a really good pickup and I'm glad it's doing well. Once Bleach ends, Naruto will take over as That One Long Ongoing Series and hopefully it'll continue doing as well as it's been doing. The ratings might plummet a bit once they hit that giant patch of filler, though.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Naruto was a really good pickup and I'm glad it's doing well. Once Bleach ends, Naruto will take over as That One Long Ongoing Series and hopefully it'll continue doing as well as it's been doing. The ratings might plummet a bit once they hit that giant patch of filler, though.

But unlike Bleach, all of the Naruto episodes have already aired on Toonami back in the day. I just can't see it taking Bleach's spot completely. Maybe as that long on-going series you mentioned, but I can't see it generating the same amount of appeal as Bleach. Bleach is just more fast-paced and airing new episodes on Toonami. People have seen all of the Naruto episodes a long time ago. You could say there's a newer audience now since Toonami went off the air years ago, but I think a lot of those people still tune in to Toonami every night and have seen all Naruto has to offer.

Back