• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

wiκipædia

Years
I generally use Wikipedia for lists of tallest things and sizes of cities, states, and countries as of late, but I have learned quite a bit by just scavenging through it for sources for school papers and by reading about things they don't teach a whole lot about in school.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I try not to go to Wikipedia ever. Last time I went was around B2W2's release when I was linked there through here...from which I went on a massive rewritting spree on the Pokemon page because a lot of the information they had was wrong and some fans had started putting links to hacks and fake games in it, not to mention they kept listing R/S remakes as the next games to be released...

I had a friend who used to go onto Wikipedia and just change web pages and links on it for fun since its an open edit resource.

My personal feelings for it: Its pretty much trash. You can't use it as credible source so there's never any point to using it. If you can find it there you can find it with pretty basic searching on the internet. If it could get proper protection for the site as a whole and receive proper credit it be more worth checking for general use.

The school I graduated from actually blocked Wikipedia. The warning message that would pop up was "Site contains false information that can cause you to fail a class if used in reports. Access Denied." I always found that quite amusing.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
I use wikipedia regularly to get a general idea about things that I might need for stuff. The last page I visited was about Total Dissolved Solids, which was something I needed for my thesis. As I learned in previous years that some professors do not accept Wikipedia as a reliable source, I see if they cite any sources at the end of the page. Often that includes a scientific article, which are good to go.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I have a sort of love-hate relationship with Wikipedia. I like Wikipedia as it is one of those websites where I can easily and quickly find information about almost anything under the stars. It gives me a general idea about the whole issue I'm searching for. On the other hand, I dislike Wikipedia as it does not provide accurate and reliable information. Users are able to edit any of its contents, so who knows if the information being read is actually true or not? Also, being a student majoring in Psychology, a research-based course, Wikipedia is my worst enemy when it comes to researching for credible info. Wikipedia is simply not allowed. Get caught citing anything from it and down the drain your assignment goes.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Wikipedia is awesome yet it's something I should stay out of. xD Especially when I want to credit my sources when it comes to reports and papers. It's usually the first thing that comes up when I'm searching for something on Google, and whenever I'm in need of a quick answer, I always rely on it.

Back