• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen I teams?

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
so i have a team on my pokemon yellow which i consider pretty good, BUT i was wondering if anybody has suggestions for a better team? And do you guys think i should have sweepers and good defense or just all out attack? Im gonna be battling my friend on yellow soon, and shes VERY good. But i think i could beat her, yet i feel im missing something. Please give me info on what would be a good team on yellow, and specify their use too?

my team right now is
-Dragonite
-charizard
-nidoqueen
-vileplume or alakazam (not quite sure)
-slowbro
-pikachu

SelenaStar

Who says you're not perfect?
Years
What are their levels and movesets??

It's really difficult to say without knowing this information too.

On first glance, I'd say go for Vileplume rather than Alakazam, for the simple fact that it is resistant to quite a few common types, and it has better all-round stats than Alakazam.

Do you have any other alternative line-ups in mind? To me this seems a good team, as difficult as it is to judge without levels and movesets.

Domo Genesis

This is Beautiful, This is Art
Years
I would go with......

venasaur
aerodactyl
raichu
alakazam
flareon
seaking

I demolished the elite four with this team.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
sorry, i forgot to put that LOL, ok here ya go:

(Note:they are all lvl 100)

Dragonite
-ice beam
-dragon rage
-thunderbolt
-body slam

Pikachu(i need a better moveset, please help!)
-thundershock
-thunderbolt
-slam
-thunder

Vileplume(i need a better moveset, please help!)
-sleep powder
-acid
-petal dance
-solarbeam

Slowbro
-confusion
-tri attack
-psychic
-surf

Nidoqueen
-mega punch
-body slam
-earthquake
-double kick

Charizard
-slash
-fly
-dig
-flamethrower

And, Domo Genesis, i can sweep the elite four with this team without a scratch on any of my pokemon. Ive even destroyed the elite four with Dragonite alone, LOL.

ALSO!!!!!!!! I was thinking of taking pikachu out and putting in jolteon with pin missle, just incase my friend has alakazam. Those are pretty hard to beat, but i noticed my Dragonite's body slam and my slowbro's tri attack does some pretty decent damage.

Last edited:

Domo Genesis

Years
sorry, i forgot to put that LOL, ok here ya go:

(Note:they are all lvl 100)

Dragonite
-ice beam
-dragon rage
-thunderbolt
-body slam

Pikachu(i need a better moveset, please help!)
-thundershock
-thunderbolt
-slam
-thunder

Vileplume(i need a better moveset, please help!)
-sleep powder
-acid
-petal dance
-solarbeam

Slowbro
-confusion
-tri attack
-psychic
-surf

Nidoqueen
-mega punch
-body slam
-earthquake
-double kick

Charizard
-slash
-fly
-dig
-flamethrower

And, Domo Genesis, i can sweep the elite four with this team without a scratch on any of my pokemon. Ive even destroyed the elite four with Dragonite alone, LOL.

oh, cool.

your moveset look good, but pikachu and vileplume need a change of moveset.
I recommend.....

pikachu:
-Thunder
-agility
-brick break(rock-type coverage)
-thunderbolt

Vileplume:
-sunny day
-toxic
-sludge bomb
-solar beam

This is just off of the top of my head. I've only used pikachu a few times. I've never used vileplume.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
oh, cool.

your moveset look good, but pikachu and vileplume need a change of moveset.
I recommend.....

pikachu:
-Thunder
-agility
-brick break(rock-type coverage)
-thunderbolt

Vileplume:
-sunny day
-toxic
-sludge bomb
-solar beam

This is just off of the top of my head. I've only used pikachu a few times. I've never used vileplume.

I think those movesets might be just like SUPER AWESOME AND STUFF!
i think the brick break would probably be great for rock types. plus Vileplume having sunny day would make solarbeam hit super fast. but when would i use agility? i love love LOVE strategic moves, but when would be the best time to use agility? or should i substitute jolteon for pikachu?

Domo Genesis

Years
I think those movesets might be just like SUPER AWESOME AND STUFF!
i think the brick break would probably be great for rock types. plus Vileplume having sunny day would make solarbeam hit super fast. but when would i use agility? i love love LOVE strategic moves, but when would be the best time to use agility? or should i substitute jolteon for pikachu?

Agility is just a worst-case scenario. Pikachu is fast as it is. But Jolteon is definitly a good replacement. To be honest, pikachu isn't that good. Here are some options:

evolve pikachu(for heightened stats).
replace with jolteon.
REPLACE WITH ELECTABUZZ!!!!!!!!
replace with electrode and spam explosion each battle.

It's up to you.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Oh dear, uh yeah DONT replace Alakazam. Ever. It is like one of THE most dominant Pokemon in RBY. Pus most of the moves people are suggesting didn't even exist in RBY. :/

Im not too familiar with RBY but i do know a little about it. Abuse status, it wins games in RBY.

Dragonite
- Agility
- Wrap
- Blizard
- Hyper Beam

This is the standard Dragonite. Agility up to be faster than everything and then Wrap things so they cannot move at all. Blizzard hits rock types, grass types and Hyper Beam finishes things off and no recharge is awesome in RBY so abuse it. :]

Charizard
- Swords Dance
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam / Body Slam

Charizard isnt TOO bad i guess. SD up and hit things hard basically. Fire Blast for STAB. Last slot is up to you, Hyper Beam is good as usual or you can body slam and fish for paralysis on things like Starmie.

Nidoqueen is generally outclassed by Rhydon, especially because this team is Snorlax/Normal attack weak, which is bad especially with Tauros being so common and good.

Rhydon
- Substitute
- Body Slam
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Sub up to scout counters then body slam to paralyze faster things and crush things with its insane attack. Helps lure in and weaken Starmie which will help Charizard.

Alakazam
- Psychic
- Thunderwave
- Recover
- Seismic Toss / Reflect

Standard Alakazam. Absolutely ridiculously good. Its like a mini Chansey with that great base 135 special. Thunderwave things and then drill things with Psychic. Recover lets you heal and the last slot is up to you. Seismic Toss is your best option vs Jynx, Exeggutor and the like or you can use Reflect to buff your defenses untill you switch out which makes Alakazam VERY hard to KO. S-Toss is usually better though as Psychic only has 16 PP.

Slowbro
- Amnesia
- Surf
- Thunderwave
- Rest

Classic TobyBro. Amnesia (arguably THE most broken move in RBY) to increase your special by +2 then you will be almost unstoppable offensively and defensively. Thunderwave to hit faster threats and scare things like Tauros. Surf for STAB and is your best move. Rest lets you heal and set up more Amnesia's.

Dont use Pikachu. Its pathetic to be quite honest and you wont win with it. I suggest Exeggutor as this team struggles with Golem and Rhydon.

Exeggutor
- Mega Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Explosion

Great lead. Has the possibility of taking out TWO pokemon when played well (one with Sleep Powder, another with Explosion). Mega Drain to nail those rock types and waters. Psychic for Gengar and is your most powerful move. Explosion to take out Chansey and the like.

Some other stuff you can abuse against your friend in RBY is; Chansey (over Charizard or Dragonite) who is one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the game with Softboiled and awesome special, Tauros who is the best clean up sweeper in the game and is really powerful. Mewtwo (the only thing that could replace Alakazam) who is simply THE most broken Pokemon to ever exist in any game period with Amnesia (if your friend doesnt play by standard rules, if he/she does however then Mewtwo is banned and for good reason lol).

More info for you is here http://www.smogon.com/rb/pokemon/.

Hope this all helps, good luck. :]

Last edited:

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
Charizard
- Swords Dance
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam / Body Slam

Charizard isnt TOO bad i guess. SD up and hit things hard basically. Fire Blast for STAB. Last slot is up to you, Hyper Beam is good as usual or you can body slam and fish for paralysis on things like Starmie.

Nidoqueen is generally outclassed by Rhydon, especially because this team is Snorlax/Normal attack weak, which is bad especially with Tauros being so common and good.

Rhydon
- Substitute
- Body Slam
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Sub up to scout counters then body slam to paralyze faster things and crush things with its insane attack. Helps lure in and weaken Starmie which will help Charizard.

Alakazam
- Psychic
- Thunderwave
- Recover
- Seismic Toss / Reflect

Standard Alakazam. Absolutely ridiculously good. Its like a mini Chansey with that great base 135 special. Thunderwave things and then drill things with Psychic. Recover lets you heal and the last slot is up to you. Seismic Toss is your best option vs Jynx, Exeggutor and the like or you can use Reflect to buff your defenses untill you switch out which makes Alakazam VERY hard to KO. S-Toss is usually better though as Psychic only has 16 PP.

Slowbro
- Amnesia
- Surf
- Thunderwave
- Rest

Classic TobyBro. Amnesia (arguably THE most broken move in RBY) to increase your special by +2 then you will be almost unstoppable offensively and defensively. Thunderwave to hit faster threats and scare things like Tauros. Surf for STAB and is your best move. Rest lets you heal and set up more Amnesia's.

Dont use Pikachu. Its pathetic to be quite honest and you wont win with it. I suggest Exeggutor as this team struggles with Golem and Rhydon.

Exeggutor
- Mega Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Explosion

Great lead. Has the possibility of taking out TWO pokemon when played well (one with Sleep Powder, another with Explosion). Mega Drain to nail those rock types and waters. Psychic for Gengar and is your most powerful move. Explosion to take out Chansey and the like.

Some other stuff you can abuse against your friend in RBY is; Chansey (over Charizard or Dragonite) who is one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the game with Softboiled and awesome special, Tauros who is the best clean up sweeper in the game and is really powerful. Mewtwo (the only thing that could replace Alakazam) who is simply THE most broken Pokemon to ever exist in any game period with Amnesia (if your friend doesnt play by standard rules, if he/she does however then Mewtwo is banned and for good reason lol).

More info for you is here http://www.smogon.com/rb/pokemon/.

Hope this all helps, good luck. :]

OHMAHGAWD THANK YOU! This is soooo awesome! Im thinking about taking out my nidoqueen, vileplume and pikachu and replacing with rhydon, exeggutor, and jolteon. but i have a question about how yu said this team is normal/snorlax/rhydon/golem weak. yu see, i have this hunch shes gonna use a rhydon and snorlax. so i really need to be prepared, how can i do this with the new substitutes ima put in that you suggested? I love these subs sooo much and you describing the way i could use them made me feel as though i can already see her losing, LOL.

I also wanna thank everyone thats helping me right now! I cant use all your ideas, and im gonna stick with some of my own, but you guys are helping me become better just listening to what you guys have to say, so THANK YOU! :D

oh and ps:

i told my friend no legendaries because i want a battle that consists of just regular pokemon to see who really is the best! And i dont really wanna use a alakazam because its so predictable that she could have something up her sleeve for that one. i wanna blast her with something she never would have guessed... >:)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
yu see, i have this hunch shes gonna use a rhydon and snorlax. so i really need to be prepared, how can i do this with the new substitutes ima put in that you suggested? I love these subs sooo much and you describing the way i could use them made me feel as though i can already see her losing, LOL.

Well Rhydon pretty much destroys Snorlax as it soaks up Normal hits with its rock typing and amazing defense and Exeggutor destroys Rhydon thanks to its resistances and Mega Drain.

As for Jolteon, its really sub par. Raichu and Zapdos outclass it rather alot as far as electric types are concerned. However, Surf Raichu is near impossible to get anymore (Raichu is poop sadly otherwise too) as it was an ollllllllllllllllldddd event and Zapdos is a legendary which you said you dont want to you. So yeah.

Id actually suggest using Chansey to take your special hits (otherwise Starmie is going to be an annoyance) which Alakazam would otherwise. Its kind of like Alakazam but its bulkier AND hits rather hard with its base 105 special, also doesnt give a damn about Thunderwaves unlike Alakazam lol.

Chansey
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Softboiled
- Counter / Thunderwave

Is how real men do it.

Counter is more offensive, but its hilarious. Chansey is VERY hard to OHKO (infact i dont think anything can OHKO it in RBY at all apart from Selfdestruct from Snorlax) and can live ridiculously powerful things physical such as Tauros Hyper Beams. Chansey is probably the best user of Counter in RBY. Softboiled lets you heal and you get bolt beam for that awesome coverage. Thunderwave can be used over Counter if you feel like it.

Now, Counter is glitched in RBY;

If you're feeling lucky, you can come in on a Tauros Hyper Beam and then Counter next turn.

So its fun to abuse like that lol.

:]

Enjoy lol

Last edited:

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
Id actually suggest using Chansey to take your special hits (otherwise Starmie is going to be an annoyance) which Alakazam would otherwise. Its kind of like Alakazam but its bulkier AND hits rather hard with its base 105 special, also doesnt give a damn about Thunderwaves unlike Alakazam lol.

Chansey
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Softboiled
- Counter / Thunderwave

Is how real men do it.

Counter is more offensive, but its hilarious. Chansey is VERY hard to OHKO (infact i dont think anything can OHKO it in RBY at all apart from Selfdestruct from Snorlax) and can live ridiculously powerful things physical such as Tauros Hyper Beams. Chansey is probably the best user of Counter in RBY. Softboiled lets you heal and you get bolt beam for that awesome coverage. Thunderwave can be used over Counter if you feel like it.

hmmm, so no electric types? you think i should just take out all electrics and put in chansey with thunderbolt? okey doke.

i played my brothers friend on pokemon stadium last night and i used the team you suggested(chansey, slowbro, exeggutor, rhydon, alakazam, and charizard), and totally kicked butt the first run through! but the 2nd time, he had a bunch of stuff that was weak to water, but they killed off my slowbro with a thunder attack. i ran out of pokemon in the end and had only chansey left and thought for sure i was gunna win still, but his kabutops had submission, a fighting move, that killed it in 2 hits. :'(

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
hmmm, so no electric types? you think i should just take out all electrics and put in chansey with thunderbolt? okey doke.

i played my brothers friend on pokemon stadium last night and i used the team you suggested(chansey, slowbro, exeggutor, rhydon, alakazam, and charizard), and totally kicked butt the first run through! but the 2nd time, he had a bunch of stuff that was weak to water, but they killed off my slowbro with a thunder attack. i ran out of pokemon in the end and had only chansey left and thought for sure i was gunna win still, but his kabutops had submission, a fighting move, that killed it in 2 hits. :'(

Well Counter would of pwned Kabutops i it was one vs one with Chansey. Dont know if you had it, but yeah. =P

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
yeah, i forgot to mention that we used all rental pokemon from pokemon stadium, so i had to go with whatever moves that came with the pokemon, and sadly, chansey had rest, thunder, fire blast, and minimize. the first time i spammed minimize so he couldnt attack me too much, and thundered him out unless he used his grass type or steel type. i wish it had softboiled and counter. chansey still had some pretty good attacks, but i really hate that his kabutops knew submission, otherwise i would have destroyed him, LOL.

Back