• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GBA/NDS: Looping! Never touch a text editor ever again!

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
The commands are built-in... And no one ever bothered to look? O_o

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Oh my god...haha

I used to do it the classic way, which was to separate every track in AnvilStudio and manually loop it with Notepad. Then I started doing it a slightly easier way, using a program I found called SFileEditor, which makes it so you don't have to separate each track, but you still have to manually choose every loop point for every track (but it automatically types it in for you, which was slightly helpful).

But now...we have this :) Thank you.

MrAPT1

That one guy who does stuff
Years
You sir, are a real life saver. I always found looping to be an incredible hassle in the past, but now I can do it in under 2 minutes. This is so awesome! Thanks!

mewmasterify

Actual Mew
Years
umm i got a Error when i used this tutorial:
untitled.png

Dylanrockin

That guy
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
So I don't need to break up the tracks in the song at all? Or do I still have to do that?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Well, goodbye with the old, and hello to the new~ :D

Thanks for sharing this, as this will be a very big help in editing music. ^^

Eren Jaeger

Pianoist
Years
So this is how it's done? I'm having hard time looping.. well, thanks for sharing this! I'm a music hacker that's why it's a big big big thanks!

xGal

Mhm
Years
So, after downloading a special program called "NITRO-SoundMaker", which is an in-house tool to develop music for the NDS, I discovered how to loop, and it was stupidly simple. Following on a hunch, I decided to ask someone to send me a MIDI, I added the needed data to it, send it back, and have him insert it. But, there was one condition: do not touch the .s file. And my hunch was correct: the file did loop. So, this tutorial is killing two birds with one stone, as the same official tools for converting MIDI files for use on the GBA use the exact same command to loop as the official NDS tools. And it's been overlooked for many years, so it's beyond me how this was totally missed. Anyways, let's get started.

You will need:
1. Your MIDI file
2. Anvil Studio
3. Official NDS/GBA conversion tools (Based on what system you want to use)
-MID2AGB and Sappy for GBA
-smfconv, and seqconv for NDS

Oh, and don't ask me where to find the Nintendo programs. I will not link to them.

Now, as I said, it's stupidly simple to loop, and I'm not kidding. These commands are built into both MID2AGB and smfconv, but they've been overlooked until today. Here's how to tap into the hidden potential:

1. Open your MIDI file in Anvil Studio, and view your MIDI in the Piano Roll Editor (View -> Piano Roll Editor)

Now, to start, go right to the end of the song, and head to the top of the window. Look for a button called "New cue" and click on it:

InTIV.png

Now, since we're at the end of the file, we're going to add one special character to the box that shows up, simply, "]":

elR5b.png

Now, here comes the hardest part, and it's not even that hard. In the piano roll editor, place the marker arrow at the point in the song you want the game to loop it to, then go back up to the top and add a new cue, "[":

pkco6.png

And that's all! Now, export your MIDI file (MIDI-Format 0 File), and compile it using your choice of tools (mid2agb for GBA, or smfconv + seqconv for NDS), and insert. Don't even touch your .s file, as there is no need to, well, unless you need to adjust something. Have fun looping music!

yo TeamFail thanks man but i wanna tell you something...

It didn't work to me, 'til i changed the song groups (in sappy) to 1: 300 2: 300

You gotta write that if you want :P

The_Show

Banned
Years
Make sure all that's in the cue editor is either a [ or a ] at the proper position. Other than that, make sure it's using a valid filename. That's all I can think of.

Hello Team Fail, I am experiencing the same problem as the good sir above.

I have put the "] and [" in the right places. What do you mean it's a valid filename, other than the obvious? I've changed the filename twice and have made absolute sure its an .S file. What should I do?

EDIT: I figured it out, sort of. I just went back and "re-did" the whole process, and it came out fine. Btw, great job Team Fail. *thunderous applause"

Last edited:

Dinisk

DinisK
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 27, 2019
plz help.I put in the middle of [and finally] Editore at the piano, but the music is not repёated Sappy.a gave s file

Back