• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen ISSHU WHY MUST YOU HAVE BECOME UNOVA!!!!!

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
This week I'm reviving... this thread! What do you really think about the different names?? Discuss and all! Older posters likely won't reply to you though. ;(

Years
I actually like both. Both are nice words to say, Unova rolls off your tongue while Isshu is just more fun to say. However, when I think of the region, the only name that pops into my mind is Unova. Perhaps it's just exposure, but that's what sticks to the region, so that's what sticks in my mind. Sorry Isshu, but Unova is the way to go!

Years
Unova is a cool name! Thanks English translators!

I'm looking forward to this amazing beast of a region, Castelia almost looks like a real city.

Ah yes, I uncovered my old post from this thread. Dated September 19th, 2011.

I finished my main story of Black a month since that post and now I can finally expand on this.

I have to say, after my playing experience I actually do love both the names. Unova is like, really fun to say despite the fact I never heard the actual pronunciation until watching the anime and Isshu also has a nice ring to it. When I think of the region, I would always know it better as Unova cos the name stuck for me. Yeah, I hardly even refer to it as Isshu anymore.

Also, the origin of the name Unova has a more better explanation than Isshu, which is why I liked the translated name much better.

Pinta77

I never even knew the japanese name until now. Isshu. Nice =)

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
What's the big deal with it they are both names one is for the japenese versions and the other is for the english version big woop I would understand what naybody was talking about if they mentioned either

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I still can't seem to pronounce Unova correctly. I'm not too sure why but instead of yu-nah-vah like they say in the anime I still pronounce it as you-nova. But I'm trying to pronounce it correctly haha.

But other than that I like both Unova and Isshu. I can bounce between the two of 'em if I feel like it and depending on what I am talking to. But I'm a little lax on japanese-> english name changes in general so I never really figured out what the big deal was when the name change first happened.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I don't care between the two of them. Mostly because I don't like both of the names, I just like the ring of them.

Years
I still can't seem to pronounce Unova correctly. I'm not too sure why but instead of yu-nah-vah like they say in the anime I still pronounce it as you-nova. But I'm trying to pronounce it correctly haha.
Even though I know what the correct pronunciation is, Unova is one of the few things I intentionally pronounce wrong, as you-nova seems to roll off the tongue better.

As for the two names, I prefer Unova to Isshu, mostly due to me not really liking the original name before we found out what the region was called in English (I even expected it to be Isshu, based on the other regions keeping their names).

blue

gucci
Years
I knew it as Isshu for the first few months up until we found out the English equivalent; all in all I still prefer Isshu.

ExMedic

Don't trust me
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 30, 2014
To me, Isshu just sounded more natural and easy to say. Unova, though... turns out I've been saying it wrong the entire time. I thought it was just 'uhn-ova'. Oh well.

Both of the names are fine, but I don't understand why it had to be changed anyways. Is it stilled called Isshu in the Japanese versions, or did they just change the name to Unova all together for the release?

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Yeah its still called isshu in the japanese ones.
and i was about to report this until i saw you revived it...

Anyways, when the thread started I said isshu, but really now ive changed my mind because unova is so much more normal now. Well, relatively. I play the german ones, in which its Einall, but its basically a literal translation of unova, and so the name has grown on me. I feel wierd saying isshu now.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I learned the region as Isshu, and I used to call it that, even after the Unova name was released. However, after the english release, I started calling it Unova since that was what everyone called it in game. I don't really have a favorite, and both are fine to me. But I do think Isshu sounds more like a region name rather than Unova.

Shadowscale

Assassin
Years
Isshu.
Here in Germany the region is called "Einall" that sounds awful especially if you pronounce it the German way :'D
I guess Unova is okay but I'm used to Isshu ^^'

Back