• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A new writer looking for advice

MMT

Years
Well, if you couldn't guess already, I'm new to the community.
Now, before I get started, I'd like to make a few statements about myself:
1. I am not sure what level I write at, but I hope it's at least high school level. If that's too high, tell me to lower it. If other wise, I'll try to make my writing more sophisticated.
2. I've never actually written a fan fiction before.
3. I've been playing pokemon, like I presume most of you have, since childhood.

Okay! Since I've gotten that out of the way, let's get down to business (and defeat the huns):
1. Are there any cliches I should avoid?
2. Are there any writers I should avoid?
3. What is considered 'Mary Sueish' here?

I thank you in advance for your help.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Welcome to the forum, MMT! Hope you enjoy your stay.

So, as for your questions/statements:

1. There's no such thing as too high a level of writing for this forum. The idea is to write as well as you can and then to get better; we're all learners here.

2. No better time to start, then!

1. Generally, people around here dislike generic journey fics, where the nondescript protagonist gets up, gets his first pokemon, and then starts his journey to get the badges, all as if it's a game transcription. This thread is a highly respected resource around here for wisdom on the subject.

2. I won't tell you to avoid any writers. We try to keep drama to a minimum.

3. See that thread above.

Also, check out this thread for writing info, and the rules of course.

Happy writing/reading!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Hello hello.

1. I am not sure what level I write at, but I hope it's at least high school level. If that's too high, tell me to lower it. If other wise, I'll try to make my writing more sophisticated.
Write however you write. Don't worry about trying to write at a specific level.

Okay! Since I've gotten that out of the way, let's get down to business (and defeat the huns):
Did they send me daughters
When I asked for sons

1. Are there any cliches I should avoid?
Like Legume said, generic trainer fics aren't really looked upon well here. You can still write about a trainer on their journey. Just make it different in some way.

2. Are there any writers I should avoid?
Drama's not welcomed here, so I won't answer your question.

3. What is considered 'Mary Sueish' here?
Pretty much what's considered elsewhere for one. As long as you got the basic idea of what one is, then you'll be all set.

Welcome to FF&W, and we look forward to seeing you again!

HagiruSato

Created Pokémon... by accident
Years
Well...

I wouldn't mind helping you, giving you material and editing and checking anything you write. Just inbox me.

Last edited:
Back