• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2019
That means there's a value in a binary file somewhere in the game that controls the header number. I thought Gen V headers would be easy to expand, but it looks like we have the same problem we had in Gen IV. If I ever find that value, I will make sure SDSME edits it when adding and removing headers.

EDIT: I've spend the whole day looking for the bytes that control that with no luck. The function that loads the header data is in the arm9.bin, and I have found the file loading code, but there's no reference to the amount of headers available. I have also frozen values in the RAM while playing the game and tried to reset to check if I had managed to edit the value, but couldn't find anything either. Until the bytes are found, I have disabled the two buttons in the Gen V header editor in SDSME.

what's the address of the function that loads the header data? and the file loading code? i have virtually all the file-loading code labeled, but knowing which one it is beforehand would be nice.

e:

lol, already had it labelled:

Spoiler:

kazo, try going to 0x1478C in the arm9 and increasing that 0x00000267.

e2: nvm, it works

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
Spiky, I'm pretty new to ROMhacking, so bare with me please;
I'm trying to edit text, ANY text, and with your program, whenever I do, and load up the ROM, it freezes on the next scene transition.

At first, I tried to edit the text to not show the opponent's next pkmn (so it's always a blind switch if you switch), and that caused freezing.

So I put it back the way it was, tested, all was well.

I then tried to edit Juniper's opening statements by just /one word/ and the same thing happened.

Is the program still buggy/unfinished or am I screwing up something so bad I don't even know it?

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Spiky, I'm pretty new to ROMhacking, so bare with me please;
I'm trying to edit text, ANY text, and with your program, whenever I do, and load up the ROM, it freezes on the next scene transition.

At first, I tried to edit the text to not show the opponent's next pkmn (so it's always a blind switch if you switch), and that caused freezing.

So I put it back the way it was, tested, all was well.

I then tried to edit Juniper's opening statements by just /one word/ and the same thing happened.

Is the program still buggy/unfinished or am I screwing up something so bad I don't even know it?

I think the problem you have is that you're using save states. When hacking games data moves around and changes, so loading a save state is useless because the emulator expects to find some data and it can't find it. It's not a problem with the text editor, SDSME works fine :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2022
what's the address of the function that loads the header data? and the file loading code? i have virtually all the file-loading code labeled, but knowing which one it is beforehand would be nice.

e:

lol, already had it labelled:

Spoiler:

kazo, try going to 0x1478C in the arm9 and increasing that 0x00000267.

e2: nvm, it works

thanks man.

for anyone try this quick fix untill th program is updated its the adress in the uncompressed arm9 binary, and also in b2 its at 0x14774 if anyone needed it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
I think the problem you have is that you're using save states. When hacking games data moves around and changes, so loading a save state is useless because the emulator expects to find some data and it can't find it. It's not a problem with the text editor, SDSME works fine :)

I am utterly ashamed that I couldn't think of that being the issue.
Thank you for putting up with my foolishness.
On a related note, it wouldn't make a difference if it was an already-hacked rom, IE: VoltWhite2, would it?

Kaphotics

♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥
Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2018
On a related note, it wouldn't make a difference if it was an already-hacked rom, IE: VoltWhite2, would it?

Wouldn't make a difference.

The cool thing about NDS games is that files are separated and easy to pick out of the rom, unlike GBA games. You can 'blow up'/open any game, even hacked ones {:3}

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
Wouldn't make a difference.

The cool thing about NDS games is that files are separated and easy to pick out of the rom, unlike GBA games. You can 'blow up'/open any game, even hacked ones {:3}

I figured as much, but I've encountered a few tools that work with the full ROM that won't work on hacked ROMs because of some sort of offset in the code? Or at least that's the only explanation I read.

And now to figure out how I pissed off the KeyBearer NPC since I've been testing on VoltWhite2. Apparently editing the text insulted him and he won't speak to me. So time to either remove him or fix it.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Hi Spiky, I have been using MKDS Course Modifier and I was able to edit the title screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyc2Z7uGyo
Will SDSME support some features of MKDS like NCLR + NCGR + NSCR files or a NITRO explorer?
Thanks a lot for your tool. ;)

First of all, that title screen is simply AMAZING. I think you're the first one to successfully edit it. MKDS Course Modifier is a powerful tool, and I know features like texture and palette editing are attractive, but I'm not planning to add them to SDSME. On the other side, an explorer is already available, although in a different way than you may be expecting. If you navigate to the folder your current ROM is, you will see there's a new folder with all the game data inside. You can access and edit the whole filesystem of the game this way, but always making sure you close every program using the files (except SDSME, of course) when saving, or a random error may happen.

I may add a shortcut or something to SDSME to make it more visible :)

Trifindo

POKEMON OMICRON CREATOR
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
First of all, that title screen is simply AMAZING. I think you're the first one to successfully edit it. MKDS Course Modifier is a powerful tool, and I know features like texture and palette editing are attractive, but I'm not planning to add them to SDSME. On the other side, an explorer is already available, although in a different way than you may be expecting. If you navigate to the folder your current ROM is, you will see there's a new folder with all the game data inside. You can access and edit the whole filesystem of the game this way, but always making sure you close every program using the files (except SDSME, of course) when saving, or a random error may happen.

I may add a shortcut or something to SDSME to make it more visible :)

Thanks a lot for the information. ;)
I have one more question, I have been trying to replace and edit the buildings models but allways the game frezees or the textures are wrong. I think that to solve this problem we must edit the file called "build_model_matshp.dat", is that correct or the problem is just the .nsbmd file?

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2016
Spiky, there is one thing I can't seem to get;
I'm trying to change a pond to act like a puddle with water encounters.
How would I do that?
IE: the first water you come into contact with in B2W2, I want to set it where you can walk across it and encounter the pokemon set just to the 5 water encounter slots.

Could you spare the time to tell me how?

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2016
The only way water table encounters happen is by surfing. I believe the water in Icirrus City uses a grass table. I'd take a look at that as a reference. Just remember that it's possible that grass and walkable water in Icirrus City can use the same table.

Dang. I was really hoping for a way to get some water encounters early without needing a fishing rod.

Ok then;

Know any way to change the look of the map to include puddles in the grass? That way I could put some water pokemon in the grass table and it would at least /seem/ feasible for you to encounter -say- a surskit in the grass tables.

I really wish I could just make Key Items out of the HM's so you didn't need them.

Kaphotics

♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥
Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2018
Dang. I was really hoping for a way to get some water encounters early without needing a fishing rod.

Ok then;

Know any way to change the look of the map to include puddles in the grass?

Edit the map so that it has the same tiles & permissions that mimic those at Icirrus City.

Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2013
Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2013
Really good title screen. ;)
To add animations you must make them in 3ds max and export the .imd file with a .ita file. (This is my first clue)

Spiky, have you discovered something new about buidldings?
Thanks
Thank you for your advice.
g3dcvtr.exe:imd→nsbmd,ita→nsbta
In spite of adding animations in 3ds max there is no change in title screen.
My method of adding animations is wrong.How I add animetios in 3ds max?
I feel so ashamed.

Trifindo

POKEMON OMICRON CREATOR
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
Thank you for your advice.
g3dcvtr.exe:imd→nsbmd,ita→nsbta
In spite of adding animations in 3ds max there is no change in title screen.
My method of adding animations is wrong.How I add animetios in 3ds max?
I feel so ashamed.

Very well, you are a good NDS hacker.
You must edit the offset of the texture coordinates and insert a keyframe (frame 0), then you go to the frame 30 (in the timeline) and you change the texture coordinates with a different number and insert a keyframe (fame 30).
You can use the play button to see your animation. ;)

YORAMRW

8-bit producer & Pokémon GB music hacker
Years
A starter editor wouldn't be hard to add, but I think that it wouldn't make very much sense in a tool like SDSME. However, maybe in the future I will make other small tools for things like that. If I have enough time, I will also try to write some basic documents on how to use SDSME, because the tutorials available don't cover everything and are outdated.

SDSME 1.9.0 will introduce a (once again) redesigned tileset editor, but that this time it will actually EDIT things. You'll be able to edit palettes and textures without MKDS, and also change some interesting settings that weren't previously available anywhere (transparency and texture flipping). Here's what it looks like (not finished, there are lots of features to add yet):

ismh.png
Looks cool. I haven't looked at your thread for weeks. It would be one of the most awesome things in NDS ROM Hacking history to be able to edit the palettes so easy.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
When I open up a Soul Silver rom, and go to the map editor, it shows it all white. I'm sorry if this problem has been addressed before, but there's a lot of pages, and I don't have time for that. If there's any way to fix this, please let me know.

Back