• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gold, Silver or Crystal

Gold, Silver or Crystal :)

• Gold version

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Silver version

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Crystal version

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
Which the best generation 2 pokemon games Gold, Silver or maybe Crystal ?:)
and what your opinion ?^_^

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I always go with the third game because it adds more features to it such as Pokemon Crystal which finally allowed me to play as a female trainer, a Battle Tower and animated sprites which I really enjoyed.

:t354:TG

Sirfetch’d

Crystal for me as I like how the story was expanded upon and it also introduced a female protagonist and animated sprites.

Years
I only owned Gold myself, but Crystal was really an upgrade over Gold and Silver in so many ways. Even just the addition of a female protagonist was a big deal in itself, plus you got new storylines (like with Eusine and Suicune), and an Odd Egg that had a high chance of hatching as a shiny.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
i remember when my friend got crystal version. but i still preferred silver. just because the game cartridge looked awesome. but i really liked the animated sprites. which i was jealous of.

PichuRules4ever

The TF2 Pyro
Years
I thought Crystal was the best of the three. It was awesome how they introduced the female trainer and the animated sprites. The odd egg was a plus too (especially if it evolved into Pichu). There were so many upgrades to the game that I felt like I had to get it. :t245:

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
All three games are 98% identical, so it doesn't matter.

That said, thumbs down for Crystal fixing the clone glitch
Thumbs up for Silver, because I like Lugia.

nano351

Metal and Color games are best
Years
  • Seen Jun 23, 2013
Crystal's where it's at! You get the little popups when you enter a new region and battle tower is a lot of fun. Also it's neat that you can lay as a girl although I never did

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
Between Gold and Crystal
because Gold can catch Ho-oH first and Crystal can't
And i choose Gold version

Last edited:

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Even though Gold version was the version I've played the most out of the three (and is the only one of the three versions I actually own), Crystal version added so many features that from an unbiased stand point, it is obviously the best version.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I had all three until the Gold one was stolen from me. I played Silver alot until Crystal came around, and I played that all the time until it dried up. I liked the Battle Tower addition to it amongst other additions, but disliked that Mareep and a few select others couldn't be caught in it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
Why would you want to play the non-deluxe version of Gen 2? I though for sure it would be Crystal 100% though I guess not seeing how there are a couple who voted otherwise.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Crystal version, oh how I love thee. What I love about Crystal is:

— I can play as a girl for the first time.
— Battle Tower.
— Buena's Password airs every night and I can get enough points to collect Rare Candy.
— All Pokemon have sprite animations.
— The legendary beast trio have their own music tracks. Phenomenal!
— Some sprites were redrawn or recolored, notably the legendary Pokemon. My Gold & Crystal starters, Typhlosion & Croconaw look amazing in Crystal. Sneasel, Skarmory and Houndoom look way better, too.
— My first wild shiny, Beedrill!

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Any answer other than Crystal wouldn't be very realistic, considering it is the best game. It pretty much took Gold and Silver, polished up what needed polishing, added stuff to enhance the game (see Blade's post :p), and is generally just a better game than the two originals. But I'm guessing the topic was more aimed at "which is your favourite" rather than "which is the best", and considering I haven't played Crystal, I'm gonna go ahead and be biased and say Silver, solely because it was the first Pokemon game I owned myself, and the only one I've really played, unless you count the times where I've played on my brother's to steal his Pokemon. It's not that there's anything specific to the game that makes it better than any of the others (apart from Lugia being available before the E4 :D), it's just that it's the only game of the generation I've really played :p

Years
Crystal! Can't go wrong with animated sprites and being able to finally play as a girl was a deal-breaker for me. :3

Back