• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SpAtk + SpDef = Sp

marcc5m

what
Years
What up competitive battlers!?

So, I was just looking at a 1st gen RMT, which mentioned Alakazam having 135 special.

For those of you who don't know, back in 1st/2nd gen, Special Attack and Special Defence were both combined to make one stat; Special.

But what if they hadn't combined them? What would the metagame be like today? Discuss!

Years
Oh hell! I remember how busted Amnesia was back in 1st gen. So I'm assuming for the new generations, Nasty Plot would also give the +2 to sp. So basically almost anything which can learn Nasty Plot / Amnesia is going to be very good. That's the way I see it anyway.

moonlightning

Bird Of Thunder
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2019
Blissey would kill everything with bolt/beam. Anything with high defence and high Sp would be able to take hits and dish them out easily, especially with those new special moves that attack the opponents defence.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Blissey would probably be Uber, with it's massive Hp and 135 Base SpA and SpD. A lot of Pokemon with huge special defense would probably be in OU. Pokemon like that would rule it. Like Shuckle who would have the highest SpA stat. I can't remember many more Pokemon who have incredibly high special defense.

It would also hinder a few Pokemon who have relatively low SpD like Cloyster who has a base 40 SpD but has base 95 SpA.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Chandelure would be less annoying, for the fact it could actually take a non-physical water type attack. Or any other supereffective hit for that matter. Or even a normally effective one! Chandelure's sp.def sucks!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Chandelure would be less annoying, for the fact it could actually take a non-physical water type attack. Or any other supereffective hit for that matter. Or even a normally effective one! Chandelure's sp.def sucks!

It's Special Defense is only 90. Not exactly the worst. So don't go throwing your "it sucks" around. >: It could still run a choice specs and destroy some stuff.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Well for starters, Physical Attack and Defense would become obsolete.

I'm glad that we have Spatk and Spdef, I would never go back to the old system.

I think the only way to have had kept that without unbalancing the game would to totally nerf a lot of the aspects involving Spatk and Spdef. For example, Amnesia boosts only 1 point, Wide Lens (That's the 10% Spatk boost item is right?) would only boost 5%, etc.

Years

It's Special Defense is only 90. Not exactly the worst. So don't go throwing your "it sucks" around. >: It could still run a choice specs and destroy some stuff.

Chandelure is by no means effective unless it runs SubCM or Scarf [or it was passed speed/spA to]. A Specs set might be viable in UU, if it falls, but certainly not in OU. To put things into perspective, with a Special stat of 145, it could probably survive an attack from a powerful but not potent special attacker, such as Salamence. Keep in mind that Chandelure never has EVs invested in its SpDef stat, but if there were just one special stat, then it could function as a powerful special wall.

tente2 said:
Well for starters, Physical Attack and Defense would become obsolete.

Quite the contrary, son. Considering every Pokemon that was once a frail Special Attacker, such as Starmie, Alakazam, Porygon-Z is now a Special Wall, there would be even more demand for Physical attackers and defenders.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Tiers would be messed up completely, There would be a handful of Pokemon used and the rest would be garbage unless used for the lulz.

Years
For the sake of melding the Sp ATK and Sp DEF stats together, I would propose an average of the two numbers be taken and use that as the Sp stat. It would weaken things like blissey a little.

TheBowsinator

Pi Lieker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 2, 2022
id say, if that happened, you would still need god physical attackers, to take down the starmies.

BUT

who said the special stat with copy starmies high special attack? what if it copies the special defense? or somthing? i mea n for pokemon that came out for gen 3 and above

Another thing, why not have a stat called bulk, and make it attack and defense? so you have 4 stats: Bulk, Special, HP, and Speed?

-------------------------

One last thing

Having a pokemon with special, and saying, "omg its special defesne is now god so it can take special attacks well!"

I dont think it works that way though, as the attacks are now, "Special" so a pokemon with high special resits high special, so physicial attackers are almost close to useless, contrary to what i post above, as they will get 1hko'd by everything special.

Confusing, huh.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Oh my god, Slowbro. Massive DEF, plus Amnesia/Calm Mind, Slack Off, and Bolt/Beam/Psychic/Surf. And Regenerator as an Ability. He's my absolute favorite.

Back