• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strange Card or Accurate Fake?

Shiny Bidoof

On fire
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
I recently purchased a shining Magikarp card off of Amazon. It was delivered yesterday, and I noticed there was something... off about it.

Pokemon cards usually bend easily, but this one was sturdier. It was a bit less flexible, and it made a clicking noise when it was bent.

Everything else is identical to a regular Shining Magikarp. the foil is there, all of the icons and words look good and are in the right places. The back looks identical to a regular card, and the faint black line on the sides is present.

What do you guys think? Is it an accurate fake or an anomaly?

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Hey Bidoof ! Why don't you take a photo of the card and let us see it ! The master checkers of fake cards may be able to prove to you if it is fake or not from the picture alone !
It would be a good idea to have a picture of both the front and back of the card !

Well the card may be sturdier due to it being a holofoil. I know with the ACE-SPEC trainers they feel a lot sturdier than normal.
How much did you pay for the card ?

Shiny Bidoof

On fire
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
I'm not home, so I can only post the pic I have in my smart phone of the card's front:

313893_4064168456261_82126448_n.jpg

What do you think?

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Nice nail varnish !
Anyway to the card itself, it seems legit to me !
The font of the text and all of the artwork seems to be on par with this reference.
Spoiler:

Regardless my personal opnion is that it can't really go into a deck (tournament wise) and it is probabley going into an album so I doubt people will really stare at it long enough or feel it to see if it's fake or not.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
It could be the lightning on the photo. It's hard to photograph holographic effects. They're not black, kinda shadowy pink.

Naturalles

OHHHHHHHH!!
Years
Oh yeah. To be honest, there's a big pink circle thingy on the picture.

I doubt if it's legitimate.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
Looks real to me. Are you comparing this card stock to very recent cards? Because historically, card stock was better in the neo era than it is now. You can tell by the way the holofoil on modern cards buckles the material so that they curl inward, whereas a neo holo tends to stay straight for years.

Back