• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books 2022 Reading Challenge

Years
Time to properly focus on this challenge and write down my thoughts about each book. Spoilers ahead.

The Stand by Stephen King
Spoiler:

[1/14]

Next, I'll probably start reading The Witcher series. I still have a Jo Nesbø novel I started the last year, but I haven't got far in it, so I think I can read it later.

Years
Just finished For Better Or Cursed by Kate Williams, so I'm at 2/40 books so far. Next up is finishing The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa and starting Smells Like Teen Spirit by Kate Williams

Years
Just finished The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa, so I'm now at 3/40. About to start reading Iron's Prophecy by Julie Kagawa

Years
Finished a few books. 2/5 now, will take a break for the rest of this month as I need to focus on reading articles for coursework.

1. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
This was a quick, easy listen. I suppose since I have the book physically also, I can place this book on the shelf of stories that are great for a quick read on the beach or in a deck chair on a cruise. The story didn't seem very captivating to me, though.

2. Sooley - John Grisham
I thoroughly enjoyed the journey throughout Grisham's Sooley.
I prematurely expected this book to have a strong legal tone, given Grisham's works so far. I also stereotyped the perception of sports movies and assumed that this book would be a typical rags-to-riches story.

My expectations were boldly checked on both fronts.

Grisham may have been inspired to write Sooley because of the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on basketball in the U.S., but this is a thoughtful story to contemplate for anyone that is rising and aspiring to fulfill their greatest dreams.

[2/5]

Last edited:

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
Years
I'd like to sign up! I've been meaning to get back into reading, this gives me a great chance!

I'd like to try 24 books. I think I can do a minimum of 2 a month. Will post back in the morning with the first book I'm reading!

Years
Just finished Smells Like Teen Spirit by Kate Williams, so I'm now at 4/40 books read, about to start Iron's Prophecy by Julie Kagawa

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
13.4: The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll Through the Hidden Connections of the English Language - Mark Forsyth. I sure do love me some good book about words and how they came into existence.
13.6: Le groom vert-de-gris - Yann & Schwartz. Starting the Schwartz Trilogy from the Spirou series. It was a fun book, but the ending felt rushed and weird. We'll see how the sequels go.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Finished the 3 volumes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood.

Boy, I'd forgotten how terrible DIO was. I kinda wonder how his character will evolve throughout the series.

6 / 25

Years
The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski
Spoiler:

[2/14]

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Finished with the 4 volumes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 2: Battle Tendency.

This one is ... complicated. It's a bit of a bizarre story with some weird tonal clashes and I kinda miss Jonathan, even if his character was on the simpler side.

10 / 25

Edit:

Also finished with the 10 volumes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders.

I liked the road trip format, the introduction of stands, and making Joseph being the butt of the joke, but the story felt a bit meandering at times and all in all, I think it ran too long - they could have cut a lot of enemies and make for a better flow, in my opinion.

20 / 25

Last edited:
Years
Finished Iron's Prophecy by Julie Kagawa, so I'm at 5/40 books so far.

Right now I'm starting The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa, and Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
And I also finished the 9 volumes for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable.

This felt a lot more street level than the other entries in a way that I appreciate. Kira is also a great villain, in ways that I frankly don't think DIO can ever hope to be (although DIO has his strong points as well, of course).

I do feel the ending fell a bit flat though, but so far it's my favorite part of Jojo.

I also very much appreciated the fact that this part dunked on Joseph a bit more, I really don't like Joseph. I don't appreciate the fact that they brought him in, and then forgot that the very reason they brought him in would have helped at the final arc, but that's for another time

29 / 25

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I also finished JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind (or would it be GioGio's Bizarre Adventure?). Now, since the english repackaging haven't been completely finished by now (the 3rd volume is due to be released in March I think), I had to finish with Japanese scanlations and the Japanese system uses a different amount of volumes (~ 15).

So, for consistency's sake I decided to go with 9 volumes since 1) I've already shot through my goal, 2) the English release will probably have around this number of volumes anyways since it's more or less the same size as Diamond is Unbreakable and 3) I don't think mind if you undershoot, right?

As for the part itself ... it's one of the weaker ones in my opinion. The villains were meh - but then again, they're all kinda meh after Kira - and the ending gets absurdly confusing. Still better than Battle Tendency though.

37 / 25

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
Years
Oh I thought I posted in here!

I finished Vol. 1 of Pokemon Adventures, so now I'm on Vol. 1 and 2 of Tokyo Ghoul and Vol. 2 of Pokemon Adventures! Let's goooo!

Years
Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski
Spoiler:

[3/14]

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
13.8: La femme léopard - Yann & Schwartz
14: Le mâitre des hosties noires - Yann & Schwartz

Finishing the Yann & Schwarz "AU Spirou" trilogy before he publishes a new main series entry this year. Frankly, the former was a better adventure, even if technically a set-up for the latter. The leopard woman was a much better villain than the master of black hosts, who only really appears at the end of the story to be defeated by a mouse (yes) and then somehow decides to tell Spirou his tragic backstory for no good reason. I'm not extemely excited about Schwartz's art (admittedly it's better than Fournier's or Nic's efforts), but perhaps the 1946 vibe does a lot. I wonder what'll come out of new writers and a modern setting in his new story.

14.2: Tokio 2020 - Ibáñez. The yearly silly comic from the Spanish comic master.

Currently reading: Politics, history and a comic about vampires!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 4, 2022
Oh, I'll join! I haven't had a good track record for finishing books lately, but I've been doing pretty well so far, so I'll give myself a goal of 25 for the year.

I recently finished Moon Called, by Patricia Briggs.

Back