• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

Years
SOME OF MY FAVOURITES!

Well, to start off, i LOVE zekrom, he's so cool, and so powerful! i love his designs!

I ALSO love zoroark, LONG before he was revealed i have always loved black and red together, and look what colours zoroark are! i love his design, and his ability, however he doesnt have the best movepool IN THE GAMES.

I also love Hazorus (ononokusu in japan) is BEAST, i love the blades on the sides of his mouth, he literally is one of the best looking, and MOST ORIGINAL pokemon designs from the fifth generation, i have been waiting for someone looking like him to come around into pokemon, by the way, His shiny form is WAY better for the same colour reasons as zoroark.

Braviary (wargle in japan) is ok, i didnt like how they modeled him after the american flag, when there are tons more people out there playing their games, BRING IN A CANADIAN POKEMON!!!! AND NOT A BEAVER! OR A HOCKEY STICK, OR A JAR OF MAPLE SYRUP! But still braviary is the BEST looking BIRD pokemon of the 5th gen.

Serperior (Jalorda in japan), out of the starters FINAL evolutions, i'd say he looks the best, then oshawott's (mijimaru in japan) third evo looks the next best, and i HATE Tepig's (pokabu in japan) 2nd AND 3rd Evolution, ITS SO FAT, AND WE DONT NEEC ANOTHER FIRE FIGHTING 3RD EVOLUTION, WEVE HAD THAT SINCE GEN. 3!!!!!!!

Victini is an ok pokemon, not nearly my favourite, but i love the originality of it, IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE A POKEMON!!

And since i said zekrom, i have to give my HONEST opinion about reshiram, i dont like him as much as zekrom, its not him really, i just dont like the way he looks, other people can, but im sticking with zekrom - the MASTER of the rascist!

Carracosta (Abagoura in japan) i got used to carracosta's japanese name, so ill call him that from now on, i love his design even if he does look a little too much like a turtle... good movepool

Now for pokemon i cant stand:

Patrat - Its simple why i hate him, I GOT SO ANNOYED OF FINDING BIDOOFS IN DIAMOND AND PLATINUM, THAT I STARTED HATING BIDOOF, AND NOW THEY INTRODUCE ANOTHER BEAVER!!!! COME ON!!!!!

Pansear, Pansage, Panpour - the one thing i hate more than beaver pokemon, is F-ING MONKEY POKEMON!!!! MONKEIES SUCK, AND U THINK THAT THROUGH OVER 10 YEARS OF POKEMON, THEY WOULD STOP MAKING MORE MONKIES!!!! WE NOW HAVE: mankey, primeape, aipom, ambipom, chimchar, monferno, infernape, Pansage, pansear, panpour, Simisear, simisage, simipour!!!! THATS 13 MONKEY POKEMON!!!!

Meloetta, just a stupid pokemon, and we dont need another jigglypuff who can put people to sleep and draw on their faces..

HOLY THIS IS A LONG RESPONSE, WELL, IF U READ TILL HERE, CONGRATS, I COULD GO ALL DAY ON LIKES AND DISLIKES, BUT ITS TIME TO GO, LET ME KNOW WHAT PARTS OF THIS U AGREE WITH, AND WHAT U DONT, AND UR OWN THOUGHTS BYE READERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
Defending Gen. V

Hey look, I'm helping!

2m6vjie.png

No worries, I've moderated the pic in order to make it fit pc's standards etc

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years

Hey look, I'm helping!
http://i53.tinypic.com/2m6vjie.png
No worries, I've moderated the pic in order to make it fit pc's standards etc

You hiker chaps 'N yer funny drawings. :cer_laugh: I ROFL'd at the "clothing" section (they forgot Lucario and Hariyama, though!) and how many times the Simisear commenter missed the correct letters on the keyboard. I'm kind of glad now that certain Pokemon do have clothes... #_#

It provides a good defense for some of the Gen 5, Pokemon though.

That fire anteater's head looks a little bit too tapered...

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2011
Uh...Spices? I thought they were Species... :cer_confused:

As for the elemental wise monkey Pokemon, I think the pre-evos were fine as standalone. The evos detract from them quite a bit.
Ah yes I mean species...stupid typo :p

They are giving us 6 bloody monkeys that look more or less the same but they aren't giving us dolphins :(

I'm kind of glad now that certain Pokemon do have clothes... #_#
Ya...who wants to see what's inside...?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Ah yes I mean species...stupid typo :p

They are giving us 6 bloody monkeys that look more or less the same but they aren't giving us dolphins :(

Not to mention three hideous kami Pokemon that look very similar that don't even change sprite poses. T_T Dolphin Pokemon would be cool...

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2011
Not to mention three hideous kami Pokemon that look very similar that don't even change sprite poses. T_T Dolphin Pokemon would be cool...
All they did was to change colour and hair style, and a bit of the decoration.
Why would people add Raijin into Pokemon now?
Never thought it was a good idea.

The Gigigiaru line also didn't change sprite poses...they only kept adding stuff on to the sprite.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
Years
I really like that there's more new pokemon, a good portion of which I like. I was particularly excited wheb I saw Chandelure since I thought a ghost/fire chandelier was an awesome idea and drew it up about a year ago, and when they actually made it I about peed my pants in excitement.

What I dislike is that I like alot of the prevo pokemon, but the evolutions suck juicy badonkadonk. The names also suck, and it's going to be the first pokemon game where I nickname. Not because I want to nickname because it's cool, but to hide the shame of such terrible monickers. And my biggest complaint is where 3rd and 4th gen took inspiration from 1st gen, 5th just copied it blatantly. Looking down the list I count 28 evo lines that rip 1st gen ones. That's 58 pokemon, not counting more in-depth comparisons. You have the new hitmontwins, and even a new machamp à la "I'm holding a branch-now I'm holding a much heavier steel gurder-now I'm holding twice as much with these 2 concrete pillars." Gamefreak is gettin' real fancy with the ideas, am I right?

Years
After seeing this thread I thought I'd have a proper look through the new pokemon and see if I could find a favourite.

Before I look I'm pretty sure I can say that I'll dislike anything that's too similar to any previous gen pokemon, but I guess I'll see from looking through them :)

First of all I'm not really too fond of the starters, but I started playing when pokemon first came out so nothing will ever beat Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur :)

Purrloin just looks like a Glameow rip off and is it just me or does Garvantula look exactly like Ariados? lol

That being said I do like the look of the dark dragon Hydreigen and Volcarana the Bug Fire type, I'm looking forward to using more bugs this time round as it seems there's a lot of choice when it comes to the bugs this time round.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this too but the legendary sprites don't seem as special anymore due to the amount of legendaries around these days. I do however quite like the look of Kyurem.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I like Tamagetake's Unova take on being a Poke Ball dupe. In past games, Trainers and Voltorb/Electrode would probably get pissed off at each other during such an incident (fake Poke Ball encounter), while with Tamagetake, you just can't help but go D'AAAAAAAAWWWWW, pet it, and go on your merry way, feeling happy that you had the luck to encounter such a cute Pokemon! ^^

200px-590Tamagetake.png

With Morobareru...you'd either just walk away without taking action, or burst out laughing at the amusing design and then walk away.

I agree. It's very cute at first and then when it evolves... it is just... fail.

What I find odd is that it looks like an actual pokeball on its head. I find that unrealistic. Would that even be possible? O.o I mean for it to miraculously have a perfect drawing of a pokeball on it, unlike Voltorb who just resembles a pokeball.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I agree. It's very cute at first and then when it evolves... it is just... fail.

What I find odd is that it looks like an actual pokeball on its head. I find that unrealistic. Would that even be possible? O.o I mean for it to miraculously have a perfect drawing of a pokeball on it, unlike Voltorb who just resembles a pokeball.

Maybe the pokeball design was originally based on Foongus? That's a sort of outside the box way of thinking about it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 15, 2023
OK, it's true a LOT of Gen 5 Pokemon look like Gen 1 rip-offs, but....maybe that's the point. For one thing this is supposed to be a whole new "fresh start" region, so they need annoying bat Pokemon like Zubat, cute little rodents like Pachirisu and Pikachu, etc. Also, even though this is comparing a game to real life, there are tons of species that look very similar, but they're different. If Pokemon are supposed to be the "animals" of the Poke-world, then shouldn't that rule apply, to some extent?

Despite all that, there's no excuse for the spriters to literally copy+paste different Pokemon or evolutions and add stuff and say it's a new Pokemon. (Gear and the Kamis)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
They could have make Gear more unique like Magnemite and Bronzor's evolution(s)...but not hey just added parts to it...I liked the first evo of Gear but the second didn't changed that much from the first evolution...

soϲks

da grovyle
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2011
OK, it's true a LOT of Gen 5 Pokemon look like Gen 1 rip-offs, but....maybe that's the point. For one thing this is supposed to be a whole new "fresh start" region, so they need annoying bat Pokemon like Zubat, cute little rodents like Pachirisu and Pikachu, etc. Also, even though this is comparing a game to real life, there are tons of species that look very similar, but they're different. If Pokemon are supposed to be the "animals" of the Poke-world, then shouldn't that rule apply, to some extent?

I remember reading somewhere that the thing that Game Freak or whatever tried to apply to this generation was simply a "fresh start", like you said. They could take old ideas for Pokemon or perhaps things that have been done before (aka bat pokemon, "useless" generic fish pokemon, pokemon-based-off-of-a-rock, fighting-duo pokemon, etc etc etc) and design them differently this time around. They still have to meet specifics and stuff like this many Flying-types and this many Water-types, but aside from that, they ditched everything they had before and basically tried to give new life to old ideas. I think that's one of my favorite parts of B/W - they're revitalizing the series by giving everyone and every aspect of the game a "fresh start".

Multigen

The Splicer
Years
This might have already been said, and if so, i agree.
The grass and water starters for this gen are beast, as always. Now, the only fire starter i've ever really liked is charizard (FTW). But this genereation, it is ugly, uncreative, and poorly designed. no offense to those of you who are going to pick it, but there is nothing about it that makes it stand out. it is humanoid with flames coming out of it and has claws. all things that are the claims to fame of other (awesome) pokemans. i kind of expected better of gamefreak.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The grass and water starters for this gen are beast, as always. Now, the only fire starter i've ever really liked is charizard (FTW). But this genereation, it is ugly, uncreative, and poorly designed. no offense to those of you who are going to pick it, but there is nothing about it that makes it stand out. it is humanoid with flames coming out of it and has claws. all things that are the claims to fame of other (awesome) pokemans. i kind of expected better of gamefreak.
It's the only fire type though that can learn a Water move which is pretty unique in my book :D

Years

I dunno, honestly I'd have to agree with you. I don't want to complain too much, because I'm just happy to have another pokemon game. But Emboar looked like a joke to me. I thought it was someone's idea of a weird barbecue pig wearing a mucha lucha wrestling belt.

That said, I do adore vanilli! It's so freaking cute. And I'm starting to like the samurai otter. At first I thought it was weird that it evolved to start walking on all fours, but now it's growing on me.

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
Years
Its glaringly obvious some pokemon are based of others( Golem/Gigalith-Machamp/Conkeldurr), and the thing is that the copies dont seem as good as the originals...and does Tepig learing a Water tyoe move really make it that great....Game Freak could have done better with the new pokemon but overall the game will still be epic

Last edited:

Yukimi

Nautical Star
Years
conkeldurr.jpg

Behold, the only Pokemon line that has yet to grow on me. I used to think Machop/Machamp/Machoke were bad...

Back