• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RSE Remake Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Even though i wish there is a remake i don't think GameFreak is planning on making it because it really isn't necessary because you can transfer the Gen 3 pokemon to Gen 5 which is really the main reason FR/LG and HG/SS were made due to the incompatibility between Gen 2 and Gen 3.

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
Even though i wish there is a remake i don't think GameFreak is planning on making it because it really isn't necessary because you can transfer the Gen 3 pokemon to Gen 5 which is really the main reason FR/LG and HG/SS were made due to the incompatibility between Gen 2 and Gen 3.
Even if it is possible, it would be tedious and time consuming.

DS Lites are discontinued and most people won't buy them anymore even if they aren't. DSi and 3DS do not have the GBA port. The GBA games also have a battery that will stop all time based events once it runs out.

Since you can go to Kanto in HGSS, you can obtain all Kanto pokemon. The only one left is Hoenn.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Even if it is possible, it would be tedious and time consuming.

DS Lites are discontinued and most people won't buy them anymore even if they aren't. DSi and 3DS do not have the GBA port. The GBA games also have a battery that will stop all time based events once it runs out.

Since you can go to Kanto in HGSS, you can obtain all Kanto pokemon. The only one left is Hoenn.

From memory, you cannot get all the Kanto Pokemon in HG/SS. Even if you could, your point has already been rendered as moot as you can get all of Hoenn's Pokemon minus Jiranchi and Deoxys between Gens 4 and 5. I believe you can get all of them minus the Starters and the Weather Trio in Generation 5 (still excluding Jiranchi and Deoxys who are Download Events anyway so you can't even get them through main game events)

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
From memory, you cannot get all the Kanto Pokemon in HG/SS. Even if you could, your point has already been rendered as moot as you can get all of Hoenn's Pokemon minus Jiranchi and Deoxys between Gens 4 and 5. I believe you can get all of them minus the Starters and the Weather Trio in Generation 5 (still excluding Jiranchi and Deoxys who are Download Events anyway so you can't even get them through main game events)

Still, the DS (Lite) is a particularly endangered species, so Gen 3 -> Gen 5 transfer is really limited.
Besides, not everyone will have the gen 4 games (I know some people who don't own a single gen 4 game but jumped straight to BW). They cannot transfer their Gen 3 pokemon over.

That said, if RSE were remade for 3DS, I seriously wonder HOW are GF going to implement the transfer system. Something like Dream Radar?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It would be the same as Gen 4's Transfer to Gen 5. A different Minigame, but it would still be the same process.

As for "need to remake gen x cause of system y", as I stated, transfer isn't an issue. Between Gen 4 and 5 all of Hoenn's Pokemon are available. Only ones missing from Gen 5 are Starters, Weather Trio, and the two Download only Event Legends. If they don't have Gen 4 games, they can easily buy them at Gamestop or some other small time Game store, or online. Can't rule them out cause people don't have them when the current handheld still plays those.

Only reason Gen 3 (which is both Hoenn and Kanto) need remakes are for the stories.

Years
  • Seen Feb 14, 2021
Hoenn also needs a remake just for the region too, Hoenn will be the only region completely inaccessible when they move to the 3DS. But, I guess it doesn't necessarily mean remake since they could throw Hoenn as a post-game region for the Gen VI games.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years

The pokemon not being available wasn't the reason for HGSS. Every gen 2 pokemon was catchable in gen 3 by using the main games and col/XD. FRLG were the only games made because of pokemon being unobtainable.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
^ That's true and back than the main ds were lites I beleive, so gen III transfer to four was available to many.

Anyways back on topic: Another reason I think remakes will be delayed is due to what a game freak npc said in Castelia city. One of them mentions trying thinking up stuff for a new game but seems to be having trouble (of course though he uses singular so if he's talking about remakes perhaps only Emerald is being remade...) of course it might not even be pokémon related...

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
DS Lites are discontinued and most people won't buy them anymore even if they aren't. DSi and 3DS do not have the GBA port.
Sorry, but if people are willing to buy a 3DS just for the next Gen. of Pokémon games, I'm going to assume they would be willing to buy a DS Lite just for transferring Pokémon over from Gen. III.

The GBA games also have a battery that will stop all time based events once it runs out.
I'm not quite sure where you're going with that.
But it's true that remaking R/S would solve the dry battery issue for good.

Since you can go to Kanto in HGSS, you can obtain all Kanto Pokémon. The only one left is Hoenn.
Eh.
To be fair, you can obtain all Pokémon from Bulbasaur all the way up to Arceus without having to transfer from Gen III.
In fact, the only Pokémon you couldn't obtain between D/P/Pt were the Gen I/II/III starters and most legendary Pokémon. :P
Then HG/SS came and you could get the weather trio + Latias/Latios, while Platinum let you get Regirock/Regice/Registeel (Though it's true you needed an event-only Pokémon for that. At least you could trade the event Regigias on the GTS. :/)

Years
  • Seen Feb 14, 2021
^ That's true and back than the main ds were lites I beleive, so gen III transfer to four was available to many.

Anyways back on topic: Another reason I think remakes will be delayed is due to what a game freak npc said in Castelia city. One of them mentions trying thinking up stuff for a new game but seems to be having trouble (of course though he uses singular so if he's talking about remakes perhaps only Emerald is being remade...) of course it might not even be pokémon related...

I would imagine that would be referring to a brand new game such as Gen VI and not remakes, considering Gen VI would be totally new so thinking up stuff for that would be much harder than thinking up of extra things for remakes like new areas etc.

I don't think it even means anything at all, I don't imagine they would include direct production struggles and hints like that in the game - they probably just added it in there for the NPC to randomly say something.

I just want February to come on over so we can see what will be revealed for the movie, that will give us the biggest hint.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Something is gunna happen at some point and time. Eventually all the games will be recycled a second go round just to keep the stories in circulation and to have them keep up with current graphics. 30-40 more years from now we'll (Pokemon Fanbase not specifically us) be asking for Gen 3 remakes again after Gen 1 and Gen 2 reremakes.

Couldn't GameFreak just release the remakes in a way that users can transfer their game files from system to system as new ones come out and create a DLC update pack to go with each hardware/Pokémon generation?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Couldn't GameFreak just release the remakes in a way that users can transfer their game files from system to system as new ones come out and create a DLC update pack to go with each hardware/Pokémon generation?

What would be the point in making a game that you don't have to play? If you could just transfer your old playfile and beat the game why would you need to play it? Not to mention many things change over times and they tend to add new items that you will miss since you already completed that part of the story.

That would cause an error in data management internally as you passed events without proper items so when you go back to those points if you went in just for fun, you'd get locked out of parts of dungeons and events simply because you already completed it on the original game and the data for the new one doesn't show that you completed it with the new game, don't have the item to access and can't get the item because the script to get it was already cleared on your last save file.

Other than the technical paradox, they stand to make no money in a game that doesn't require you to play through to get the items if you can just port your save file over.

Each game also has its own GTS server by Generation. You cannot GTS trade a Gen 4 game and a Gen 5 Game even if you trade a Gen 4 or lower Pokemon with no new moves, Item, or abilities. So internet transfer cross Generations isn't possible either. I doubt they'll ever allow it either what with high probability of error.

As far as making a Pokemon Game as a DLC app for the 3DS or future systems, they could do that with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and forgo the Remakes if you try to think about that. They may make a little more money after converting the internal data to match the DS/3DS internal clockwork for the events as well as reconfigure the wireless capability for trading. If they don't try to change the Trade feature then we won't get them as downloads as Pokemon exists for the sole purpose of connecting two different people to force them to trade to collect all the Pokemon. That's why they release the Main games for each Generation in pairs.

So its a not very likely to ever happen in the near future sorta scenario as it kinda goes against Gamefreaks' reason to market and Pokemon's reason for existing.

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
Sorry, but if people are willing to buy a 3DS just for the next Gen. of Pokémon games, I'm going to assume they would be willing to buy a DS Lite just for transferring Pokémon over from Gen. III.

Eh.
To be fair, you can obtain all Pokémon from Bulbasaur all the way up to Arceus without having to transfer from Gen III.
In fact, the only Pokémon you couldn't obtain between D/P/Pt were the Gen I/II/III starters and most legendary Pokémon. :P
Then HG/SS came and you could get the weather trio + Latias/Latios, while Platinum let you get Regirock/Regice/Registeel (Though it's true you needed an event-only Pokémon for that. At least you could trade the event Regigias on the GTS. :/)

Emm... You mean Rayquaza?
Maybe I didn't do that extensive research on that part, so my bad.

But I simply don't get the DS lite logic.
Why would I want to buy a much weaker system that plays DS games when I can play 99% of them just fine on a 3DS?
I just don't see why would people want to do that. It's a waste of money.
Maybe you can buy one for a very low price in the US or preowned/black Friday or whatever but some places in the world have to pay a lot more for a DS Lite, even if its preowned.
Kids... Would their parents allow them? Are you willing to take the risk if it were a preowned copy?

I wouldn't fork out extra cash for a weaker system (that my next gen set can mostly do) just for that one feature, unless I can get a DS Lite for less than the price of a regular game from where I'm living.

Plus, even if I were to complain how "awful" DS games play on the 3DS, I could have gotten a DSi XL or DSi (if you want portability) instead of a regular DS Lite. I am going to assume only a minority will go for the DS Lite route.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I just want to throw my two cents out there:
If we ever get RSE remakes, I always dreamed that the first time through, Wallace was the 8th Gym Leader, and Steven was the champion. Once you beat the game, Steven would run off to his location in Emerald, Wallace would take his place as Champion for each subsequent time you challenged the Elite Four, and Juan could be challenged once (or more, depending on how the game handled Gym Leader rematches) as the new "8th Gym Leader." RS remade with Emerald elements. I also always wanted the "something [that] came up" which made Steven step down as Champion to be explained.

Also, am I the only person who wants to see these remakes not only for a revamped Hoenn but for improved music? The Hoenn Gym Leader music is included in the PWT but it (and all the other Gym Leader music) is obviously redone in a way to better match the sound of the rest of the B2W2 soundtrack, not necessarily its original (and it's nowhere near close to the entire RS soundtrack, let's leave it at that).

I hated the anime version of the BF...
Does anyone think they might throw in Kanto into the remakes just for the sake of having it.
There's always a possibility. This would also be a good way to put a stop to the "if they remake RS they have to remake FRLG" statements. Granted, since Kanto is connected to Johto, it would feel odd to add one and not the other, so in the end it may or may not work out.

Last edited:

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
One part I find very amusing is that RS had a "secret" soundtrack of Saffron City. It turned out that the next game was really Kanto related.

Now BW2 had a "secret" hoenn trainer battle theme.

Perhaps a clue? Or just coincidence? Who knows...

EDIT: still getting used to the controls :/

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
One part I find very amusing is that RS had a "secret" soundtrack of Saffron City. It turned out that the next game was really Kanto related.

Now BW2 had a "secret" hoenn trainer battle theme.

Perhaps a clue? Or just coincidence? Who knows...

EDIT: still getting used to the controls :/

Ooh, that's something! I wouldn't dismiss this as coincidence; unused game files are nice ways of getting some hint of what the developers are thinking.

I tried finding the music you mentioned, and I came across some info on Bulbapedia that all Key Items from Gen 3 onward have their sprites in B2W2. I don't see why they would do that if they weren't preparing for something (because it isn't like the "???" Arceus that had to be implemented in gen 4 to prevent game crashes).

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
Ooh, that's something! I wouldn't dismiss this as coincidence; unused game files are nice ways of getting some hint of what the developers are thinking.

I tried finding the music you mentioned, and I came across some info on Bulbapedia that all Key Items from Gen 3 onward have their sprites in B2W2. I don't see why they would do that if they weren't preparing for something (because it isn't like the "???" Arceus that had to be implemented in gen 4 to prevent game crashes).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=jFcGds9pQQ4

It sounds more like a GSC version, but it's still Saffron nonetheless.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2018
Well, here are my thoughts:

I am convinced that they will remake Ruby and Sapphire. I'm sure people will buy them, so, why wouldn't they? The question is when and for what console, DS or 3DS. We could use the anime as a reference to guess how long they want Gen V to last. First consider this:

Maybe many of you already know that since Gen III, the anime starts a new season almost at the same time there's a new Generation game released in Japan.

Spoiler:

Best Wishes is almost over, the Unova League episodes will begin on Nov 22, and assuming it lasts at least 8 episodes, and a couple more to end Ash's journey in the Unova Region (or maybe more if Team Plasma finally shows up, in the same fashion they did in the game) that means they WILL have to start some filler in February. They wanted to go back to their roots, so, maybe a consolation fruity islands League for Ash after he loses in the Unova Conference? Or maybe the Sinnoh/Johto Battle Frontier.

As for the console, it is possible they could be for 3DS. It has compatibility with DS games, so you should be able to transfer Pokémon from Gen V with no problem, not to mention you will need this in order to complete Gen VI's PokeDex as well. At least at first. It would make sense having remakes step up, FR/LG for GBA, HG/SS for DS, R/S for 3DS. I don't see why would it matter if Hoenn becomes the only region not accesible on the DS, Johto was not accesible on the GBA. However, it wouldn't make much sense to have a remake as the first game for 3DS. GameFreak will probably want to show new features in a whole new game.

So, this is how it could happen:

- The Anime starts a filler in a new random region (or maybe Hoenn), they release RS remakes (maybe DS, maybe 3DS), a year later Gen VI begins, letting Gen V last for another year (kinda), and they keep the same sequence: Gen 3 + Gen 1 remake, Gen 4 + Gen 2 remake and Gen 5 + Gen 3 remake. OR

- The Anime filler is shorter (possibly Battle Frontier since there are only 5 Frontier Brains and Ash doesn't have a Pokémon Coordinator as a companion, which is why Gen V was so short), ending around August 2013, Gen VI games are released for 3DS around September (why September? well, because E, DP, Pt, HGSS and BW were released in September, I'm just guessing). Then a year/year and a half later RS remakes are released for 3DS including Gen VI features. I think this would be worth the wait. This would mean Gen V will only last for 3 years, but I don't see why it shouldn't, after all it's an extension of the DS life-span.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Well, here are my thoughts:

I am convinced that they will remake Ruby and Sapphire. I'm sure people will buy them, so, why wouldn't they? The question is when and for what console, DS or 3DS. We could use the anime as a reference to guess how long they want Gen V to last. First consider this:

Maybe many of you already know that since Gen III, the anime starts a new season almost at the same time there's a new Generation game released in Japan.

Spoiler:

Best Wishes is almost over, the Unova League episodes will begin on Nov 22, and assuming it lasts at least 8 episodes, and a couple more to end Ash's journey in the Unova Region (or maybe more if Team Plasma finally shows up, in the same fashion they did in the game) that means they WILL have to start some filler in February. They wanted to go back to their roots, so, maybe a consolation fruity islands League for Ash after he loses in the Unova Conference? Or maybe the Sinnoh/Johto Battle Frontier.

As for the console, it is possible they could be for 3DS. It has compatibility with DS games, so you should be able to transfer Pokémon from Gen V with no problem, not to mention you will need this in order to complete Gen VI's PokeDex as well. At least at first. It would make sense having remakes step up, FR/LG for GBA, HG/SS for DS, R/S for 3DS. I don't see why would it matter if Hoenn becomes the only region not accesible on the DS, Johto was not accesible on the GBA. However, it wouldn't make much sense to have a remake as the first game for 3DS. GameFreak will probably want to show new features in a whole new game.

So, this is how it could happen:

- The Anime starts a filler in a new random region (or maybe Hoenn), they release RS remakes (maybe DS, maybe 3DS), a year later Gen VI begins, letting Gen V last for another year (kinda), and they keep the same sequence: Gen 3 + Gen 1 remake, Gen 4 + Gen 2 remake and Gen 5 + Gen 3 remake. OR

- The Anime filler is shorter (possibly Battle Frontier since there are only 5 Frontier Brains and Ash doesn't have a Pokémon Coordinator as a companion, which is why Gen V was so short), ending around August 2013, Gen VI games are released for 3DS around September (why September? well, because E, DP, Pt, HGSS and BW were released in September, I'm just guessing). Then a year/year and a half later RS remakes are released for 3DS including Gen VI features. I think this would be worth the wait. This would mean Gen V will only last for 3 years, but I don't see why it shouldn't, after all it's an extension of the DS life-span.

Only comment I can add, which really doesn't mean much in comparison, Directors said there was no pattern for release. It was a coincidence on how they come out. So there is no sequence to follow.

As for Anime, I don't see another Battle Frontier showing up as the last one was made for R/G remake inclusion into the Anime, like how Lyra and her friend appeared in Sinnoh for the G/S Remakes. For R/S remakes we'd need a Hoenn character appear which would be shown first and air after the Remakes were released. We'd hear about the remakes before we'd hear about the Anime tie in.

There is nothing left to do in Hoenn without them adding something completely new to force Ash to go back. Can't see a new character replacing either Brendon or May as they are iconic to the generation. Wally is a possible tie in as he played a fairly important role in the game and I don't remember him being in the Anime, or Birch could reappear for something.

Battle Frontier wise, I think only one exists in the Anime. The battle frontier is owned and operated by Scott, it was created in Hoenn by game standards and Scott was scouting in Hoenn for possible trainers to take on the challenge for the Anime. I don't see another Frontier existing, and a return to Sinnoh or even Johto would mean the opposite of what we'd want as it has nothing to do with Hoenn and would mean more that Gen 4 has a remake on the way which isn't probable in any way.

Anime wise we are waiting for a Hoenn tie in or hint to New Pokemon/Region to give Ash another reason to go explore.

As for Plasma, its not really likely they want to bring them back in as they were a key part to Team Rocket's being in Unova. Since that part is completely forgone, I don't see them bringing them back for any other reason now. We'll prolly get Plasma as part of the Genesect Movie, but Anime wise bringing them in may just respark the issue with their debut episode which was canceled because of the Earthquake that hit Japan when the episode ran around Castellia's destruction by Earthquake from one of the two teams. They won't bring them into the anime for an ethical reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back