• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Adventures Online

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jun 9, 2015
Pokemon Adventures Online[MMO]

gB77o3V.png

qx6l.jpg

Pokémon Adventures Online

Were in the process of making a Pokemon MMO 2D game. We have already dived deeply into development. Already have fans and what we need now is more help. Right now we have one coder, one GUI artist, one concept artist, two writers, two excellent mappers. That is our team. Most of us do more than one task though but still we are short a few members to really take this game to another level.

We are very involed Pokemon lovers and carry a great passion for it. Most of us have worked on other MMO Pokemon games such as PokeMMO, PWo and others. We are not youngsters with a unrealistic dream. Besides our one 17 year old we all average about 23-24 in age on the team. We take this project very serious and will dedicate lots of hours to this project daily. We hope you find some sort of interest in this project either by joining us or giving us fan support.

8va7.jpg

The game starts off in the Nexus Region. Where you must catch Pokemon, battle leaders, and be the league champion. But this adventure is not what you expect. There is a villain lurking in the shadows. The mystery behind these villains is not yet unraveled. The motives still unclear. But we do know they go by the name of Team Neo. Led by a man named Neron. They run the streets of neo City and control it with brute force. Now they look to take over the whole region and use Pokemon they control to do so. In this fight for Pokemon and humans alike, you must take on the leaders of each gym, catch Pokemon and together become stronger to take on such a powerful enemy and his Generals. But there is still more unexplained events occuring and more secrets to be discovered in the Nexus region. Is Neo the only threat? Take on the adventure and unlock the truths.

Title: Pokemon Adventures Online
Engine: Game Maker
Audience: 10+
Rating: E-T
Developers: PAO Staff
Genre: 2D Action/Anime MMO

View out recruitment thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7941507#post7941507

Email: [email protected]
or PM on here or reply to thread.

For more information on project you can message us on any of the social media links above as well as see all of our latest updates and videos.

wKb7kom.png

iQ7usc8.png

22u5pi5.png

4pbQrLt.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jun 9, 2015
Here are a couple of new towns/cities for the game. Introducing Priapos and Frozenlily

VZvG02q.png
syxm3fs.png

Last edited:

Shadeh

KABOOM!
Years
SWEET! I've been looking for a pokemon mmo for a long. Time, none of that boring stuff like Pokemon Indigo.
But one THING. Is it Browser? I hate downloading stuff

also a few things. Later on can we customize avatars? I luv being unique. And can you implement an option to use the arrow keys or W-A-S-D? I hate using mouse. .-.
Just my opinions, sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jun 9, 2015
Sorry but this won't be an HTML game, you will have to download it.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jun 9, 2015
Here is the newest video(Lost Cave is completely dark because we want people to find their way through it):

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Just a bit of feedback from what I saw:

The maps need work. Not only are they harsh to look at as they go from wide open empty space to tight and windy routes, but they really do not look at all supportive of an MMO play ability. It is pretty evident that there is not a whole lot of direction going into their creation or functionality. The mountain route and the tower route seem almost unplayable if you are alone, let alone a multiplayer setting. The screen size in relativity to the tile/sprite size is also a contributing factor.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jun 9, 2015
Thank you for your input. The recording screen is not the actual size. The game screen size will be 1064 x 768.

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Thank you for your input. The recording screen is not the actual size. The game screen size will be 1064 x 768.

The larger the screen and the smaller the sprites, the worse your maps, no matter how good they are, become. The reason why, is that the screen becomes cluttered with topographic information and detail. Smaller screens hide that information which creates a focal point on the player itself and limited surrounding. There is a reason fan games do not really deviate from the small screen size, even when custom interfaces are involved. It will always look bad, regardless of how amazing the maps are.

To correct this, I would aim towards using more custom graphics. It is evident to me that someone on the team has enough photoshop skills to start pumping out a more high resolution tileset.

I am not usually one to say that the graphics make or break the game, but I will attest that improper use of space and size relativity can certainly turn a lot of people off of it...

A while back, there was a project that was creating high-res 3rd gen tiles. Maybe you could find that.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jun 9, 2015
At the moment tilesets/graphics aren't a main concern. We may look into what you have recommended in the future, but for now our focus is on other features such as the battling,pc box,trading and etc. In my opinion functionality is more important than graphics.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Something people overlook when doing something such as making changes to a tileset, if how much work it piles on, because you have to remap everything once you make those adjustments.

The argument that graphics are not important only goes so far and it's validity is relative.

I had to completely redo a stupid amount of maps when I did something as seemingly simple as changing tree tiles, then again when I decided to change the cliff tiles. Your project seems far to ambitious to be overlooking the amount of work that creates. Your project either seems to be presented in a hasty manner, and your base systems are all still stemming or your are presenting it at a stage where your graphics and display need to be taken into consideration for the sheer sake of play ability. My problem is not with how good or bad your tiles look, but how good or bad they actually function with the display and your maps in general.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jun 9, 2015
Something people overlook when doing something such as making changes to a tileset, if how much work it piles on, because you have to remap everything once you make those adjustments.

The argument that graphics are not important only goes so far and it's validity is relative.

I had to completely redo a stupid amount of maps when I did something as seemingly simple as changing tree tiles, then again when I decided to change the cliff tiles. Your project seems far to ambitious to be overlooking the amount of work that creates. Your project either seems to be presented in a hasty manner, and your base systems are all still stemming or your are presenting it at a stage where your graphics and display need to be taken into consideration for the sheer sake of play ability. My problem is not with how good or bad your tiles look, but how good or bad they actually function with the display and your maps in general.

I didn't say that it was not important but this game isn't based on graphics alone.There are so many areas that we must address. We are pleased with our progress thus far and most others are as well. We will continue to push forward with our goals and we always welcome any constructive criticism that you or anyone else may have. Thank you for your concern.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I didn't say that it was not important but this game isn't based on graphics alone.There are so many areas that we must address. We are pleased with our progress thus far and most others are as well. We will continue to push forward with our goals and we always welcome any constructive criticism that you or anyone else may have. Thank you for your concern.

You can take it with a grain of salt, that is fine.

I am just telling you that the reason for changing graphics is not to make it look pretty, it is to make your maps function the way maps should function, and I am saying this from recent experience. I had to go back and adjust every single outdoor map within Pillars of Destiny and many of them ended up having to change in a pretty drastic way and my tiles were not even really all that different, it was the few tiles that ended up changing height or width even by a single tile that threw everything off. After remapping about 50 maps over the course of the summer, I ended up scrapping all of them because the changed the entire dynamic of space on a lot of maps and they became unplayable and instead of going back to try and fix them and then having to adjust adjacent maps because of it, it was more time efficient to just scrap them all and redo them and even then it took forever and I am still not done.

So once again, the demand for tile changes is not to make your game look better, it is to make your maps function more efficiently in a large window and multiplayer setting.

You wanted my help on your project, but you won't take my advice or let me lead you to my pool of wisdom so you can bath in its spring?

You guys are silly.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Lol, Worldslayer, maps can be changed, it's not a problem... But not all games are based on graphics, my games, don't base themselves off graphics because I either use the ones that come with Essentials or my own and even minor edits haven't effected ANY of my maps... So I'm not entirely sure what you're on about... You're not the only mapper on this forum, you may have wisdom, you may have experience, but it means nothing in the long run, IF, the mapper doesn't want to change what they feel is right... If I told you that you need to change your houses because your character over shadows the doors... Would you go and change it, no... But maybe to another style of mapper, they can say that it looks stupid... Anyone can keep on and on about graphics and what not, but you can't focus too much on one thing, they can be changed at any point, I suppose, once systems and things are online, then the graphics can and may be, sorted out... If you can be a little more understanding, that would probably be more appreciated, your concern looks like it was addressed, you just have to wait and see if it gets fixed/changed or answered again, in future updates.

@Superalexiy, I want to see the battle system myself, but we'll just have to wait and see what the coders manage to bring us :D

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Lol, Worldslayer, maps can be changed, it's not a problem... But not all games are based on graphics, my games, don't base themselves off graphics because I either use the ones that come with Essentials or my own and even minor edits haven't effected ANY of my maps... So I'm not entirely sure what you're on about... You're not the only mapper on this forum, you may have wisdom, you may have experience, but it means nothing in the long run, IF, the mapper doesn't want to change what they feel is right... If I told you that you need to change your houses because your character over shadows the doors... Would you go and change it, no... But maybe to another style of mapper, they can say that it looks stupid... Anyone can keep on and on about graphics and what not, but you can't focus too much on one thing, they can be changed at any point, I suppose, once systems and things are online, then the graphics can and may be, sorted out... If you can be a little more understanding, that would probably be more appreciated, your concern looks like it was addressed, you just have to wait and see if it gets fixed/changed or answered again, in future updates.

@Superalexiy, I want to see the battle system myself, but we'll just have to wait and see what the coders manage to bring us :D

Changing a house tile on a map or a tree tile on a map because it looks bad is not the same as changing a tile because your screen size is relevant and your map is actually almost unplayable.

While I agree that cosmetic changes are really meager, playable maps are not. My point is that those maps are bad maps, regardless of the tile sets used and that they should be redone, and that they should also take the display size into consideration, which they have not.

It is not about making the tiles look pretty, it is about making the maps function properly.

I am not just a mapper, I am a designer, and I can tell you that what separates a good map from a bad map is functionality in terms of play-ability and efficient use of space. These maps might as well be unplayable. I promise you I am not the only person who would absolutely despise traversing a number of those maps. If your maps are difficult to navigate or are completely uninteresting, people will drastically limit their time invested in playing the game and that does not matter if it is a Pokemon fan-game or a franchise flagship title.

I think you are mistaking constructive criticism as being hostile remarks.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jun 9, 2015
cool but you still have not shown the most important part of pokemon BATTLING!
I don't know how much of the conversation between WorldSlayer and I you read, but at the moment the battling system is what we are working on which is why mapping and some other things are on the back burner. When we have a video prepared we will release it. I'm eager for the public to see what we can create. Hopefully it won't be long before you will see exactly what you want!

Back