• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen am I the only one that likes RSE's graphics?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
perhaps this is more of a trend among fangame developers / rom hackers than the players who mostly frequent this section, but I've noticed a lot of hate for the RSE graphics for some reason? I'd like to know what you guys think of them! I think they're actually really cute. they've got a charm to them.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Personally, I actually like them better than the graphics from Gen IV.

But that'd be mostly because they have much more nostalgia for me. I guess that's where the charm comes from for me.
I've spent far out the most time playing Gen III games (incl. fan games).

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
One of my favourite gens for graphics. It looked similar to other good JRPGs. I especially liked cute little touches like the weather conditions and how you left footprints on the sand.

Melody

Banned
Years
Graphics in RSE were amazingly polished for GBA. I adored them and still do. They did so much for the immersion, I barely noticed the topdown aspect, which for me usually makes immersion difficult.

Seriously, the graphics were top notch considering the system it was hosted on. Hoenn's masterful mapping also contributed lots, as well as the deeply mystical and nature oriented aspects of Hoenn. You really felt like you were on an adventure, and Hoenn as a setting being as natural as it was, made it all the more pleasant.

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
Years
honestly i feel like the dislike of the graphics is mostly aimed and ruby and sapphire since emerald cleaned them up, i really do like the emerald ones but feel like they're overshadowed by firered and leafgreen's great graphics

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
honestly i feel like the dislike of the graphics is mostly aimed and ruby and sapphire since emerald cleaned them up, i really do like the emerald ones but feel like they're overshadowed by firered and leafgreen's great graphics
I agree. I'm currently playing Sapphire for the first time after having always played Emerald and boy, Emerald did a big clean up of some of the graphics! Especially the RS font is bothering my eyes and I'm glad Emerald used FRLG's font. I do prefer FRLG's graphics because they feel more polished and it just fits my style more, but RSE's grahpics are great.

I do still think the overworld human sprites are a bit too stretched out though. o_o

Years
Yeah I love the graphics in RSE, they definitely had that charm to them. Considering the range of areas and 'biomes' in Hoenn, I felt Game Freak did a great job with the graphics in bringing the region to life.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
I started with FRLG, so when I got around to playing Sapphire, I felt like I was playing a game from before my time, even though it only came out a few years prior. I still enjoyed the graphics, but FRLG was a lot more polished and just better in general; regarding color pallet and scaling.

Looking back on them now I wouldn't say I like or dislike them.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
I was fine with them! Sure, other gens might've looked better, but they didn't put me off investing a heck of a lotta time in playing them!

Years
3rd Gen's graphics do look outdated compared to the generations of now, but this was the first generation where everything was in full colour, so it is definitely considered revolutionary.

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
Years
It's probably my rose colored glasses, but I absolutely love how Ruby and Sapphire look. I'm honestly glad they went for the cute style that they used rather than something like Golden Sun, because tbh, Golden Sun doesn't look too great anymore... Ruby and Sapphire went for what seems like an enhanced version of GSC' graphical style, and I love it.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
Years
*Nostalgic person alert*
I love the graphics. I'd go as far and say I like R/S/E's more than Gen 4's graphics. Gen 5 topped them for the 2D graphics imo. Second best of the 2D world though.

Chrohnos

Just A Stranger
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 10, 2017
Their Old-School Graphics Always Get Me,To Be Honest.

Back