• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: How did you discover Rom Hacking?

Years
Through this website called pokecommunity, you've probably not heard of it.

Yeah, I came to PC because my "old forum", Pokémon Fan Universe, closed down, and I wanted to go to another Pokémon forum. So I just googled Pokémon forums and found this cool place. It had better skins then PE2K or Serebii and had some really cool pixel artists.

And then I found the ROM Hacking section. When I first saw it, I was terrified and amazed.
I used to only ROM Hack when no-one was in the house in case I got told off, and always deleted my internet history of being on PC. Yeah, I was scared of my parents catching me looking at Advance Map, not anything else haha.

Then around 2008-ish my brother noticed me and was like "that's pretty cool" and then I was fine with ROM Hacking in public...or whatever.

yep.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
I found out about it because a friend of mine bought (you heard me) a cartridge of shiny gold, and a cartridge of naranja. I had googled around for a while looking for them before I ran into WaH. I found this site because I had some stupid questions, and google sent me here.

NDogg45

Skrillexmon is best Pokemon
Years
Damn, this was a long time ago when I discovered it. I was about 8 or 9 and was sleeping over with my friend and were watching Pokemon videos and funny videos on YouTube, I stumbled upon a hack video called "Pokemon Sex Adventure"(Hope I don't get in trouble for saying that) and he said "What if we could make our own Pokemon game?" I took up ROM hacking on my old computer last summer, but then that computer died on me, I was sad because I had so many fakemon sprites that I was going to enter. But then, I decided to start again about a couple days ago and started coming back here. So.. Yeah.. That was my story.

Years
I discovered hacking pokemon roms this week actually. I was searching 'Moe' because I'd seen something called moe and stumbled upon moemon and fell in love ^w^. I'm trying to find good sprites for Moemon to insert into my games, because I love moemon.
I plan to attempt my own hack soon, though I need to learn more than just pokemon sprite ripping. All in good time.

Years
I believe I discovered Pokemon hacking through Zorak's Quartz walkthrough. I already read through several other LP's on the site, and his caught my attention. Hacks have been a mainstay in my playlist since then.

For hacking in general, it was from somebody doing a playthrough on Brutal Mario. The same guy does a lot of Mario hacks to this day, and he got me interested into the thing.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
About the domain itself, I know it from ages (circa 2002) but never approached it since the word "hacker" sounded like a thing for monsters (it still is), however for Pokemon hacking, it was a few months ago after stumbling on a hack called "Pokemon Genesis" while searching for a Golden Sun rom. And at my surprise, this hack was not only a traduction hack, so I did my little research and found this site and the plethora of hack tools that I never suspected their existence.

But hacking games is still ridiculously hard.

Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2020
The first Pokemon romhack I played was probably that world famous talking cactus one. I really can't remember how long ago that was.

...Mmmm MattyO's.

Trainer Jun

Team Rocket Veteran Trainer
Years
I'm a veteran game designer. I've been making games in Yoyo's Game Maker since I was in highschool. One day, I ran across a youtube video of a "new pokemon game." I thought to myself, "I should work on a pokemon game. That should be easier than what I've been doing." Sure enough, after searching for sprites and codes, I found PC. Well, we all know what happened from there...

I discovered hacking pokemon roms this week actually. I was searching 'Moe' because I'd seen something called moe and stumbled upon moemon and fell in love ^w^. I'm trying to find good sprites for Moemon to insert into my games, because I love moemon.
I plan to attempt my own hack soon, though I need to learn more than just pokemon sprite ripping. All in good time.

I ran through the tread once after posting originally, and WillowWolf, you just got me hooked! I'd love to help script a moemon hack one day.

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I discovered Whack a Hack a long time ago, back when the only completed one there (and in English xD) was Quartz. I downloaded it, played it, and enjoyed it.

I believe it typed something like "pokemon rom hacks" into google, and it led me to Pokemon Hackers Online and this site's hack showcase, and joined both.

Now, after playing all these awesome hacks made by so many talented people, I'm thinking of doing one of my own. xD

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Well sweeties, my origins are different from others.

Back in the early 2000s, I was a young lad who wanted to just download games for his computer. I end up stumbling on video game console emulation through various sites such as Zophar's domain. I end up figuring out how to run and NES emulator known as RockNesX and played a pirated game known as Kart Fighter. As I got deeper into emulation, I then heard there were tools that allowed the user to add custom levels into Super Mario Bros 3, and so I started making these difficult level hacks. Soon, I did what any 12 year wanted to do, put themselves into a Pokémon game. And thus I had my own [unfinished] version known as Pokémon Ice. =p

Epitaph93

Intermediate Digidestined
Years
I got my hands on an early version of Chaos Black a few years ago. Sometime last year I got into emulation and decided to search for some hacks. I was looking for a Digimon hack of Pokemon, but couldn't find one so I decided to make one myself. It's amazing how far I've come since then.

Years
I'm here for the hacks...while posting on reddit, I stumbled across some people talking about hacks, and that lead me here.

My mind was blown that there was such a thing, and it's awesome!

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
A couple of months ago one of my friends showed me a site with online emulators for several GB/GBC/GBA games, and I was instantly interested in them. After doing a bit of looking around on it, I found out that it also had several other Pokemon games that I'd never heard of available. I started playing them, found out that they were ROM hacks, and decided that I wanted to make my own. I found this site, and here I am.

sammyboy1122

Pokemon Hacker
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
yes I did create my accont for rom hacking and I'm looking for peple to help me PM me if you want to help

Shaf

Lonely MadNooB Trainer
Years
I discovered rom hacking a year ago when i was 11 and a half.
I saw the awesome hack of destinedjagold and my mouth was not shut that day.
I was surprised to see that hack and after searchin and searchin i stumbled on this site.
PC was always coming on google.
I made my account here and that's how it is.
I'm still a noob though and I am making a hack of POKEMON EMERALD :'(

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
Years
I discovered ROM hacking back in 2008 when I first joined the Sonic Community. I loved the classic Sonic games, and found out that I could modify one of my favorite games of all time. One thing lead to another, I got into hacking the 8-bit Sonic games, and picked up z80 asm pretty easy, since I knew 68k asm. I then came across the Pokemon hacking community, and pretty much knew that the GB uses the z80 as it's processor so hacking the classic 1st and 2nd Gen games should come easy for me. :)

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I then came across the Pokemon hacking community, and pretty much knew that the GB uses the z80 as it's processor so hacking the classic 1st and 2nd Gen games should come easy for me. :)
It definitely will be! :)
With G/S/C, you can get quite far only by understanding ram structure and how the build-in scripting engine works. In RBY, "everything" is assembly though.

Back