• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Professor Oak is only 47.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Professor Oak always says, "in my old age, I only have three Pokémon left." But according to Bulbapedia, he's only 47 years old! This makes him younger than professor Rowan by over 10 years. It's always been a shocking fact to me, that Professor Oak, is under fifty, not even an elderly man, and he calls himself "old" already.

What are some random Pokémon facts you find shocking? This doesn't only have to be about the games, btw! For example, I find it shocking the Pokémon X/Y Adventures protagonists are only 12! Come on, they don't even look 12!

Years
the protagonists of every main series game
as much as I love the games, it baffles me that 10 year olds can defeat super strong trainers and champions that have been training for decades @_@

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Is he really only 47? Cuz he sure doesn't look like it.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
the protagonists of every main series game
as much as I love the games, it baffles me that 10 year olds can defeat super strong trainers and champions that have been training for decades @_@

The protagonist isn't always 10, though. In B/W, the protagonist is 14.

Years
yeah there are a few games where the player isn't 10-11, though being a few years older than that and a brand new trainer just starting out doesn't make it make any more sense haha

I don't think much about it though, but the more you do think about it the more baffling it gets!

also, does anyone know the source on Oak's age? I see it on bulba but they don't have a citation anywhere, and the marriland wiki lists him as being 55-60. he definitely doesn't look 47, or even 55 orz

Years
also, does anyone know the source on Oak's age? I see it on bulba but they don't have a citation anywhere, and the marriland wiki lists him as being 55-60. he definitely doesn't look 47, or even 55 orz

Apparently in the games Rowan states that he's 60 and Oak is 10 years his junior, which would put him as 50 by the time period of DPPt which takes place at the same time as Johto which is three years after Kanto.

In short.. he's pretty young.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Eat your heart out, Kukui.

Nanomachines+son+or+daughter+_7fbb22dca4b389b870ecc0587ff08b3d.png

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years

That picture is broken :(

------

Another shocking fact, btw, in my opinion, is that back in the 90s, Pokemon had its own form of currency in the real world! It's called Niue. They are worth one New Zealand dollar.

They look like this:

14.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2019
XY protags should've been at least 14 with how much innuendo was in those games.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Time to post young and rugged Professor Oak from Toshihiro Ono's manga, then!255A334E-742F-4FC0-B10B-279EB4B50874.png
76F46B79-3FF1-4FE3-B21C-E5C7E23DF3C9.jpeg

Years
Doing some quick math, if Professor Oak is only 47 at the start of the Kanto games, that means he was 37 when Blue/Gary was born. And while we don't know how old Daisy is, even if she were only a couple years older than Blue/Gary, that still would've made him a grandfather in his early to mid 30's.

And on a related note, I guess that makes Agatha somewhere in her late 40's-early 50's during the Kanto games, too? I guess this whole Pokemon thing ages people quite a bit faster than most...

Years

Oooh yeah I remember having the Electric Pikachu Boogaloo comics, him looking like that makes much more sense for someone who's around 50 years old!

Anyways, I just found an interesting fact about the TCG:

The most valuable Pokémon cards are the Pikachu Illustrator Cards, worth as much as $100,000. Only a few of the cards exist.

Not sure how true it is considering I'm not very knowledgeable with the TCG, but whoa $100k. I always knew there were very expensive and limited cards out there, just didn't think some of them could possibly go for this price........

QuietDragon

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Doing some quick math, if Professor Oak is only 47 at the start of the Kanto games, that means he was 37 when Blue/Gary was born. And while we don't know how old Daisy is, even if she were only a couple years older than Blue/Gary, that still would've made him a grandfather in his early to mid 30's.

And on a related note, I guess that makes Agatha somewhere in her late 40's-early 50's during the Kanto games, too? I guess this whole Pokemon thing ages people quite a bit faster than most...

Yes, Pokemon characters age much faster, they both mature younger due to the practice of setting out on a journey at ten and having to be responsible, not just for themselves, but many varied creatures' needs, and they either physically age faster too or the art style just makes almost everyone look way older (showing a ten year old from later seasons of the anime often nets reactions that assume they're in their mid-teens ^^;;;; People have trouble believing Takeshi/Brock is honestly only fifteen... but a fifteen year old who was stuck taking care of nine siblings because of two deadbeat parents and running a Pokemon Gym!

I feel like this is why so many people failed to have sympathy for Alan/Alain too... he was probably around Takeshi's age, just 15 or so, when he was isolated from everyone [including the closest thing he seemed to have to a father figure, Professor Platane/Sycamore] and unknowingly serving a monster, but XY's style is even more mature than the usual anime's style, so he looked far older than his naivete and how the people around him treated him suggested [when Pachira/Malva calls Lys a "bad man" for using such a "pure boy"].

According to Takeshi Shudo's novelization, Hanako/Delia never got to go on her own journey... she got married at 18 and Ash's dad just. Abandoned her and his unborn child to go on his own journey and never really made it anywhere [this may have been retconned to being a successful trainer, but still not a decent father]...).

Professor Oak could also have gotten married in his late teens.

The Zensho manga had Gary and Daisy [Gary's sister from the games and in Toshihiro Ono's manga despite not being in the anime Ono's manga is based on!] be orphans...

zensho8.jpg

If all of that can be assumed true, Oak also had a difficult life! Between having kids as a teenager and in Zensho, at least, having to be the one to bury one of his own children and then raise his grandchild/grandchildren... that will make anyone feel old!

It's part child fantasy fulfillment of being independent and going on a journey and saving the world, part sad (by our world's eyes) that they're often expected to take on so many responsibilities really, really young, but at least their society prepares them for it, since it is their norm!
It's also one-part taking a common Japanese "Send the beloved child on a journey" adage very, very literally (it's to teach them independence, hence why Japanese kids commute to school and go lots of places by themselves, which works because Japan is overall very safe).

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Oak's surprisingly youthful age isn't as terrifying or bizarre as Lusamine being in her forties. I want to know what cosmetic products she's using so that she looks more like Lillie's older sister rather than her mother, and so that her husband looks like her father.

QuietDragon

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Oak's surprisingly youthful age isn't as terrifying or bizarre as Lusamine being in her forties. I want to know what cosmetic products she's using so that she looks more like Lillie's older sister rather than her mother, and so that her husband looks like her father.

They're filthy rich in the anime and Lusamine's also very narcissistic there (childishly self-absorbed, initially more upset Faba hid an Ultra Hole from her than about Lillie, Gladion having to steer her to the right path because she never bothered to ask why Lillie suddenly became averse to touching Pokemon she loved before, taking credit for Lillie's accomplishments made in her absence, her decision to evolve Clefairy even knowing her daughter wanted to begin her journey with it in that stage, the weird complex she gave Lillie about how anything based in emotion is irrational and shouldn't be respected, etc.), so I wanna say:

Plastic surgery!!!!! \o/

(Or just really good genes, lots of beauty sleep, good hydration, beauty products, and mostly keeping out of the sun [Lillie had to have gotten the hat and parasol/umbrella habit from somewhere].)

If you want to feel better/more concerned, Akagi/Cyrus is............ 27.

Oh, God, he's my age now...

Last edited:
Back