• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add New Pokemon In 15 Easy Steps!

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Will you? Great! That will be so awesome! The only thing that's left to do then is a Pokedex editor, to make sure that you get those entries can be added as well. Then adding pokemon to advance games would be as good as complete. ^^
I'm still very surprised you didn't get any of the errors described as in: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220

I should've clarified what I said before. One usually can encounter it in the wild fine, but trying to capture it causes the game freeze. Are you trying to capture it in the wild?

Also, you're using English FireRed right?

Years
I'm still very surprised you didn't get any of the errors described as in: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220

I should've clarified what I said before. One usually can encounter it in the wild fine, but trying to capture it causes the game freeze. Are you trying to capture it in the wild?

Also, you're using English FireRed right?

Yes, I'm using an English FR ROM. And yes, I have captured it, and had no problems with it except for the Pokedex entry, which was, as I said, the last pokemon you had in your pokedex list (which in my case was a rattata, so that entry got used. But, no data got added, as the game still treats it like a diffirent pokemon.)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Will you? Great!

Yes and No.
We can add cry in 252 - 276, but the pointer for these pokemon is the same as Unown.
If we can change pointer of the cry, we can use cry.

(Exemple, if you add sprite in 252 - 276, you must change the pointer of image or palette in RS Ball, for the cry is the same thing).

RUBY AXVE offsets

Table : 452590

251 Celebi : 5AF4F4
252 : 5B036C
253 : 5B0BCC
254 : 5B168C
255 : 5B1FD8
256 : 5B2C34
257 : 5B413C
258 : 5B4BD4
259 : 5B5804
260 : 5B65E4
261 : 5B7184
262 : 5B8890
263 : 5B9220
264 : 5B9C88
265 : 5BA220
266 : 5BAD3C
267 : 5BB690
268 : 5BBC90
269 : 5BC594
270 : 5BD744
271 : 5BE3B0
272 : 5BED58
273 : 5C0A2C
274 : 5C29AC
275 : 5C3554
276 : 579C4C
277 Treecko : 5C29AC

Last edited:
Years
Yes and No.
We can add cry in 252 - 276, but the pointer for these pokemon is the same as Unown.
If we can change pointer of the cry, we can use cry.

(Exemple, if you add sprite in 252 - 276, you must change the pointer of image or palette in RS Ball, for the cry is the same thing).

RUBY AXVE offsets

Table : 452590

251 Celebi : 5AF4F4
252 : 5B036C
253 : 5B0BCC
254 : 5B168C
255 : 5B1FD8
256 : 5B2C34
257 : 5B413C
258 : 5B4BD4
259 : 5B5804
260 : 5B65E4
261 : 5B7184
262 : 5B8890
263 : 5B9220
264 : 5B9C88
265 : 5BA220
266 : 5BAD3C
267 : 5BB690
268 : 5BBC90
269 : 5BC594
270 : 5BD744
271 : 5BE3B0
272 : 5BED58
273 : 5C0A2C
274 : 5C29AC
275 : 5C3554
276 : 579C4C
277 Treecko : 5C29AC

Well, if the pointers for the sprites can be changed, so should the pointers for the cries, I guess. Or not?

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Yes, I'm using an English FR ROM. And yes, I have captured it, and had no problems with it except for the Pokedex entry, which was, as I said, the last pokemon you had in your pokedex list (which in my case was a rattata, so that entry got used. But, no data got added, as the game still treats it like a diffirent pokemon.)
Strange. I (and many others) have tried using those spaces before to no avail. I'll try again tonight...

Sorry for another question, but the rom is completely clean beyond the inserted pokemon right?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Well, if the pointers for the sprites can be changed, so should the pointers for the cries, I guess. Or not?

Yes, but before we need to create tool for this.

And R/S/E capture : Freeze
FR/LG capture : OK (with not entries)

Gloosh

Is Playsing the Porkemons.
Years
I used this to put in 2 sprites and it worked perfectly. (Bulbasaur and Charmander)
Then I changed the back sprite of Bulbasaur.
I entered the battle with Gary and the back sprite of my new pokemon was there, but the coloring was completely messed up

HALP?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
I used this to put in 2 sprites and it worked perfectly. (Bulbasaur and Charmander)
I entered the battle with Gary and the back sprite of my new pokemon was there, but the coloring was completely messed up

HALP?

Change offset of the palette with RS Ball.

Years

HALP?

The backsprite must have the exact same pallete as the normal sprite, because they use that same one in-game.

amtrax

Pheonix will rule the world...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 7, 2010
The backsprite must have the exact same pallete as the normal sprite, because they use that same one in-game.

actually your backsprite should have the shiny pallete while the front sprite has the normal pallete and the games programming shares the pallates and recognizes the back sprite as the shiny pallete

anyway i had the problem of the black screen upon encountering the pokemon inserted over a ? spot after celebi aswell

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
Years
Haha thanks this tutorial really helped alot:
Snapshot_Stupid.png

I didn't really want to fight a dude BUT oh well lol.

I do have one question, though:

Is it possible to edit/add a new trainer into uNLZ? Because that's kinda what I wanted to insert but I got a Pokemon instead lol

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Yes, but before we need to create tool for this.

And R/S/E capture : Freeze
FR/LG capture : OK (with not entries)
What do you mean: "(with not entries)"? Do you mean that there just isn't any pokedex entries?

Btw, those offsets you posted are for the cries right?

Is it possible to edit/add a new trainer into uNLZ? Because that's kinda what I wanted to insert but I got a Pokemon instead lol
Well, it's easy enough to add the graphic to the rom with UNLZ, and it's easy to create a new trainer with PET (or some variant), there's plenty of empty trainer entries in a rom. The problem is I don't know how to assign the picture to the trainer. I'll run some tests tonight and see if I can figure something out;

Btw, speaking of the pokedex earlier, does anyone know how to edit the part of the pokedex in FRLG that lets one go through entries by the habitat of the pokemon? I'm saying, if one added pokemon to the ?????????? spots, would there be some way to add them to the habitat part also?

Also, on the subject of adding pokemon, does anyone know how to repoint the learned moves list of pokemon? That is, if one added a pokemon, they wouldn't be abled to tell it to learn moves unless they deleted some that already exist for other pokemon. (Same situation for egg moves, which I'm working on... slowly...)

liveitout

What? Where?
Years
You might want to add a little disclaimer to your tutorial: it doesn't work in Emerald. The sprite can be changed, but its palette will stay the same.

Okay, I managed to change a sprite image in Ruby. (Yay.) But I can't change any of the other attributes, like attacks and type. Pokemon Editor says that everything saves fine, but when I load the game, Electrike is still an electric Pokemon with the same attacks.

Last edited:

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
What do you suppose I did wrong?
When you put the sprite into the rom with UNLZ, you have to check the "export pallete" box also, then repoint the pokemon's offsets to the sprite AND pallete with Pokemon Editor or some other program (Pokemon Editor is the only one that I'm aware of.).

Also, a small note about Pokemon Editor Pro: It switches the base xp and catch rate when you save (my version does this at least). I don't know if the author ever released a version that fixes this or not. So, to make sure the base xp and catch rate stay correct, hit the save button twice so it switches it back correctly on the second hit. Anyone else have this problem with Pokemon Editor Pro?

Last edited:

liveitout

What? Where?
Years
Sorry, I edited my post since then. Yes, I checked all of the boxes and repointed everything. I think it's just Emerald. I'm using Ruby now, and it's much better with the sprites, but I still can't edit anything aside from sprite graphics.

FinalZero

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
I think it's just Emerald.
Oh, I didn't know it was emerald you were working with. If you explore an Emerald rom with UNLZ, you'll see why sprites mess up; Emeralds are twice as large to include the graphic movement that begins when a pokemon comes out.

I'm not sure why Pokemon Editor Pro (hencforth PEP) isn't working for you. I can only ask you to make sure you're editing and testing the same rom.

Yes, I checked all of the boxes and repointed everything.
Well, you actually only need the the "Export Image" and "Export Pallet" checked. You only need "Auto abort..." if you're replacing an already existing picture instead of putting it in empty space (lots of FFs or 00s). I've never used the "automatically fix pointers" option. I do all my repointing of pokemon sprites through PEP.

liveitout

What? Where?
Years
I think I know why it might not work with Emerald - isn't Emerald's free space byte 00 instead of FF? As for the animations, there's no problem with that at all. I edited my sprite so that its tail wiggled a bit, and it worked. The only error is with the palette.

Edit: Well, I've solved my problem. I was changing info for the wrong Pokemon. xDD It works perfectly now (in Ruby, at least).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024

tpravetz

... doesn't exist.
Years
I put up a note on Emerald. I never use Emerald, and it is very rarely used as a hacking base, so I don't know how to edit the animation and all that, but I am pretty sure that will work for fixing the palette...

Back