• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Hello guys!
I'm making a custom menu over the old one, so that I don't have to change many scripts.
Can you tell me what do you think?
http://i.imgur.com/S4L5UEM.jpg
I'm stuck because I may want to have a more B/W like menu.

Looks good, though theres a couple of things which bother me. First, the exp text needs to be moved up or the box needs to be slightly taller, since the text is off the bottom edge of the box.

Also ,the font for the LV. text looks out of place with the rest of the text

The m

???
Years
Hey! First post here!

How does this look like? (Don't count the sprites as they're not final)

Background credit: MidniteRemix from dA.

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
Years
Hey im working on a project and i want to get some feedback so i have four questions first i have my starters being espion, eevee and umbreon (the pokemon your rival has is unchanged) if there is a better set of starters what would you suggest secondly i am making new maps for my hack with names such as Frost isle, Mt Flame etc using the unused land masses to the south of the hoenn region with a little header/town map editing using/modifying the unused fr/lg headers unused in emerald the whole point is to include pokemon not included in emerald such as gen 1/2 pokemon of specific types for instance fire types in mt flame and ice/water in frost isle with possible event pokemon such as the legendary trios of gen 1/2 Jirachi Celebi Mewtwo and such.

My next question is emerald doesnt include the sprites for the event pokemon or possible trainers i want to include such as red etc so how do i go about implementing new sprites in the overworld or should i just put them all in pokeballs and have them as wild battles or just straight up give them away? thirdly i am making a custom mart early on in the game in littleroot but i dont know what the values are for all the items so a link to a page where it is listed would be greatly appreciated

also last question i want to make a temporary evolution for Rayquaza kinda like an alternate form if thats possible or evolve by item and evolve back by the same item i think its a good idea idk what the sprites should look like i guess thats kinda the question i am not a talented spriter so i would prolly suck at making sprites anybody got an idea what i could go with or something like that

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Hey im working on a project and i want to get some feedback so i have four questions first i have my starters being espion, eevee and umbreon (the pokemon your rival has is unchanged) if there is a better set of starters what would you suggest secondly i am making new maps for my hack with names such as Frost isle, Mt Flame etc using the unused land masses to the south of the hoenn region with a little header/town map editing using/modifying the unused fr/lg headers unused in emerald the whole point is to include pokemon not included in emerald such as gen 1/2 pokemon of specific types for instance fire types in mt flame and ice/water in frost isle with possible event pokemon such as the legendary trios of gen 1/2 Jirachi Celebi Mewtwo and such.

My next question is emerald doesnt include the sprites for the event pokemon or possible trainers i want to include such as red etc so how do i go about implementing new sprites in the overworld or should i just put them all in pokeballs and have them as wild battles or just straight up give them away? thirdly i am making a custom mart early on in the game in littleroot but i dont know what the values are for all the items so a link to a page where it is listed would be greatly appreciated

also last question i want to make a temporary evolution for Rayquaza kinda like an alternate form if thats possible or evolve by item and evolve back by the same item i think its a good idea idk what the sprites should look like i guess thats kinda the question i am not a talented spriter so i would prolly suck at making sprites anybody got an idea what i could go with or something like that
You're talking about ROM hacking. This isn't the ROM Hacking section. I don't mind you asking for design tips, but when you start asking about how to actually technically do things, you need to ask in the appropriate place.

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
Years
im sorry i didnt mean to suggest that i was asking for rom hacking help i simply mean if i were to continue modifying my hack rom what would you suggest like throw some ideas out there that kinda thing not asking how to do things if anything im asking what should i do if that still somehow counts as asking for help with rom hacking then ill just stop posting here and leave it at that

Maruno

Years
No no, as I said, I'm fine with you asking here for inspiration and tips. It's just when you talk about modifying headers or wanting a list of item IDs or whether it's possible to temporarily evolve Rayquaza that it strays into the technical part of ROM hacking. I know those things weren't the focus of your post, though.

Given that pretty much everyone here uses the Essentials kit to make their games, if you ask something even vaguely technical, you're likely to have people telling you things about Essentials, which you really don't need to know. It's best to avoid that if you don't need it.

MarvinLock

Starting with Pkmn Essentials!
Years
Just a quick question! What specific software do you use so as to edit images with a height of 30.000 pixels or more? Photoshop has a height limit.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Gimp let me work on my 40k+ tileset. I suggest paring it down though, don't you have to scroll by hand in RMXP at that size? I did.

MarvinLock

Starting with Pkmn Essentials!
Years
Gimp let me work on my 40k+ tileset. I suggest paring it down though, don't you have to scroll by hand in RMXP at that size? I did.

Yes, it's a little bit boring to scroll at that size. But I use most of the tiles included in the tileset, so I can't pare it down. Thanks for suggesting Gimp. I will use Gimp then.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
Woah, somehow I didn't notice this thread until last night. I'm glad it exists. ^o^

I could use some second/third/fourth/etc opinions on my Player Characters. Their sprites are modified from existing sprites since I'm studying and learning the style right now.
The girl's fairly easy; I'm just kind of waffling around on names for her.
trainer02.png

I'm kind of waffling between Nasrin and Dahlia for her default name (with some others floating around in the back of my mind), though I'm kind of leaning more toward the former as time goes on.

The boy's default name is Pinky, but I'm a little undecided about what pants colour he should have, and whether or not he should be dragging around a scarf/wrap. When his character design originally popped into my head, it was a feather boa. I decided to tone down the fabulousness a bit, though now that we can apparently do different forms for trainers, I might play around with him having an optional feather boa at a later date. Also, one of the major villains wears a scarf, so having him wear one too would just be a nice little aesthetic parallel.
trainerPinky_ScarvesChart.png

Personally, I'm almost 100% against doing the bright pink pants after seeing all the possible versions together. My favourites are either soft/dusty pink pants with a green scarf, or green pants with a dusty pink scarf. I'm also a little fond of the blue pants with green/dusty scarf designs. With the exception of disliking the bright pink pants version, I think I like all the non-scarf designs equally, but I tend to prefer the scarves over the non-scarves.

Just for fun, the aforementioned villain, Ace, and a gym leader, Rocquette. Yeah, one of Rocquette's hands is pretty awkward.... I should probably fix that....
trainer075.png
trainer082.png

Maruno

Years
How do I create a warp into a forest?
Any door inside a building which leads elsewhere (outside, another floor, etc.) will work just fine. Or try learning how to use RMXP - a basic "Transfer Player" event command will do.

In any case, this isn't a design question; it's a technical question.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Any door inside a building which leads elsewhere (outside, another floor, etc.) will work just fine. Or try learning how to use RMXP - a basic "Transfer Player" event command will do.

In any case, this isn't a design question; it's a technical question.

Off-topic, but still; Couldn't we make a "Quick Technical Questions"-thread as well?
It'd be better than having 5 new threads everyday asking simple questions, and people could search the thread for previously answered questions.

Maruno

Years
Off-topic, but still; Couldn't we make a "Quick Technical Questions"-thread as well?
It'd be better than having 5 new threads everyday asking simple questions, and people could search the thread for previously answered questions.
"Quick" technical questions usually aren't. These questions are usually asked in a general form, which need clarifying before help can be provided, they may well ask about something major which requires a lot of discussion (because people generally don't know how "quick" their question actually is), people could provide alternative solutions, there could be follow-up questions or suggestions for improvements/alterations to the original concept, etc. Plus searching for a previously asked topic is much easier if you can also scan through thread titles (which the rules say should be named appropriately) rather than just posts.

On the other hand, design is almost entirely subjective and opinion-based, which generally makes such questions much quicker to respond to (one opinion per person per post).

So no.

The m

???
Years
I need help with the name of my gym leaders, I gave many of them good names, but two remain.

I need help with the name of the badges too.

Here is the list:

Sylvianne (Female): First gym leader Grass type, basically based on a forest saver(people who protect the forests).
Bagde: The design is finaliased, though I haven't thought the name (need help).

Colerta (Female): Seoncd gym leader Fire type, based on a high class chef.
Badge: Ignite Badge.

Chill (Male): Third gym leader Ice type, A very cool popular man, works in a rescue squad.
Badge: Cool badge.

(Male) Fourth gym leader is a Poison type gym leader based on an alchemist, I need names for him.
Badge: Venom/Concoction badge. (need suggestions).

Derek (Male): Fifth gym leader Dark type, he is based on a magican.
Bagde: Need a little help with the name and design.

Rodlea (Female): Sixth gym leader Water type, she is based on an angeler (and is an actress too!).
Badge: Lure Badge.

(Female) Seventh Gym leader is a Normal type gym leader, she is based on an artist, I don't want to give her the name 'Kala' because it doesn't suit her look.
Badge: Pallete badge.

Smith (Male): Eighth gym leader, based on a blacksmith.
Badge: Anvil Bagde.

If you feel like anything needs to be changed just tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back