• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: The Nostalgic Emerald Hack

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2021
The Nostalgic Emerald Hack [Alpha Testers Needed]

ALPHA TESTERS NEEDED

It seems as if retro is now considered "in" when it comes to new games. A lot of Indie developers are using 8bit graphics in an effort to appeal to a nostalgic crowd. What happens when you apply this to Pokemon? You get the Nostalgic Emerald Hack.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if Hoenn happened in Gen 2? Well you're about to find out.

Features include:
A massive roster of 250 Pokemon!
Gameboy era graphics!
Gym leaders now have Pokemon to reflect the Generation shift!
A massive amount of Nostalgia!
Day and Night!

Obviously it's a work in progress, but it's a start.

To do list:
Spoiler:

Known bugs:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Wow !!! this. looks beautiful! the screenies look beautiful !! I love the concept of this hack !! will yiu be releasing a pre alpha?

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2021
Looks great, man. Definitely fits the trend. Are you going to try and put in the legendary scene as well?

If you're talking about the part where Rayquaza flies from the sky, I'm going to try. But if you're talking about the part where Groudon and Kyogre are just hitting each other, of course, definitely.

The main problem is that the cutscenes will have to be sprited from scratch. Considering there won't be any Gen 3 pokemon, Groudon and Kyogre would be replaced with Ho-Oh and Lugia, and I have no idea who's to replace Rayquaza.

Regarding Pre-Alphas, I'm sure I'll release one eventually, but trust me, y'all don't want one know. At the moment it's this weird, glitchy mix of Gen 2 and 3 sprites and may just ruin the hype, haha

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2021
Yo, sup guys, I thought I would post a small update. I got a few more tiles replaced, and I've started messing with the palettes some. Dewford and Fortree are pretty much done excluding the buildings. I haven't started on them yet (save for the Pokecenter, but that's just a place holder and besides, it's pretty bleh atm)
Update images :D :
Spoiler:

ALSO, Q and A~~~

Wow.. Is this Emerald!?

Why yes it is ;)
The tiles look good so far - do you have any building tiles done yet / towns mapped out?
I don't have any of the building tiles done yet, and the towns are mapped out already because I'm changing very little structure wise.

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2021
What about Gen 3 'mons? Custom sprites?

There will probably be some custom sprites, or atleast some edits. Not everything in Emerald can be represented by something in GSC unfortunately.

However there will be no Gen 3 Pokemon. I apologize, but you can't have Gen 2 in Hoenn if you include Gen 3 pokemon. They'll still be in the ROM, but you'd have to fool with it yourself post release

Years
Awesome!!!!1 I love Gen 2 more than any other Gen. Jotho is my favorite of all time.
Good luck and hope to see beta soon :)

Pinta77

This looks great! Interesting and original concept. but no gen 3 pokemon!? I'm sure they've made every gen 3 pokemon a gen 2 looking sprite by now

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2021
This looks great! Interesting and original concept. but no gen 3 pokemon!? I'm sure they've made every gen 3 pokemon a gen 2 looking sprite by now

Not as far as I know. And if they did, it wouldn't matter. One of the main points of the hack is "what if Gen 2 was in Hoenn?" As a result, only Pokemon up to Gen 2 will be included

Back