• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever ditch your starters?

Years
I often play multiple runs through games so whilst I keep my starters till I have all three I then will more often than not trade out the starter for a more unique "starter" as early as I possibly can.

blue

gucci
Years
I never used to but in more recent games I've found I have been doing, unless it's the first time playing that game/generation.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
i ditched my starters on the 2nd gen and the 4th gen. i don't like those ones.
mudkip is my fav

EQUALSGAMER

Proud user of Garbodor
Years
In white I ditched snivy, yeah yeah i know in 2 minutes my inbox will be full of death threats but i ditched it because snivy sucked.I didnt really care for the other starters either in gene 5.

BiGoDeViN28

Psalm 141:3
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen May 26, 2013
No, I have never ditched my starter. I always put my Starter in my team. I don't think I could ditch him. I feel like it's almost apart of the story to have him. I get too attached to them to ditch them.

Years
Unless I'm playing through a new game for the very first time, I tend to ditch my starter by about the 3rd or 4th gym. Getting a starter is always a certainty in the Pokemon games, so that's why I usually switch it up by boxing it, and building my team from scratch as I go along.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Not the first time I get to use them, but after that, sure. I might trade over all and merely evolve them to fill the pokedex, but its waaaay to restrictive to always have one of those types in your team.
I mean there is 15 other types!
I find it boring to see people use their starter and then add pokemon of the other starter types...like its not even that diverse, especially having both a Grass and Water pokemon... why not a Bug, Ghost, Fighting, Ground, Dark, Normal, Rock, Psy..you get the idea.
Probably because the most quality 3 stage designs are starters and a few others.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
To be honest, in every Pokemon game, I never ditch my starters at all. I mean, I use the all the time and usually, it's my highest level Pokemon... So, I never ditch my starters...
^That! Exactly!

Never ditches my starter and it's usually my highest leveled one...with the other being one under it. It just doesn't feel right replacing it...plus they're not exactly weak once reaching their final stages.

pokeskate

Lerroux says "bye-bye!
Years
I actually just released my lv 70 blastoise cuz I needed space in my white boxs. I actually released all 150 poke from the unova region too....

Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2016
I usually don't ditch my starter until after i beat the game cause that's when i switch to competitive battling.

Apricots

Cream Puff
Years
I get too attached to my starter (or any of my team for that matter) to ever think about ditching them.
They were with me from the start, so I would feel absolutely terrible.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Gen I, whenever I didn't start with Charizard, I always dropped my starter for another critter. Gen II, I think I kept Typhlosion all the way up to the end, but dropped Feraligatr as soon as I could. Gen III... I honestly can't remember, but Blaziken always looked weird and had a not-great moveset, so I probably ditched it when I could. Gen IV has the best starters out of any game, and I've kept Infernape so far through all of my Platinum playthrough. Mainly 'cause there are a dearth of Fire critters, but it's still the best Fire/Fighting type there is. Gen V: OMG THEY'RE ALL SO BAD! I got rid of Samurott as soon as I could it was that awful. Not Feraligatr awful, but reeeeeeeeally bad.

Years
I've never.. not used my starter. :P I't always been central to any team I've had, unless I was doing a monotype challenge that didn't include my starter's type. Admittedly, it would be easy to play through White without my starter, since I don't really like them all that much. Tepig is.. fine, but in general they're all quite poor (especially Serperior, oh lord how I dislike Serperior).

For White 2, I won't be using my starter, though. There are already Pokémon I want who would make it so I had two of the same type in my team, which is a no-no for me. It should be interesting!

Candra Software

PKHeX User
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 29, 2017
When I played White 2, I went on GTS Negotiations and gave up my Dewott for a Riolu, even after the grinding I did. But eventually I was able to get all three Unova starters.

TheFallenUmbreon

Dreams shall never fall...
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 27, 2014
I ditched my Sceptile in Emerald once and replaced it with Regirock...
In Pearl, I ditched my Blaziken and replaced it with a Flareon that I received by trading :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
I have yet to put my starters down to a box and forget it in favor of a stronger Pokemon. I always use my starters to the fullest because they're always great.

Back