• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 4] Cube Plays Pokémon Platinum

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Hello Hi!

This is user Cubism here, better known as Cube.

Well, so I believe some of you may know I started a Platinum run not long ago, but I kind of stopped playing because Fire Emblem I've been more concentrated on other stuff, but that's not important.

Thing is I plan on reviving this game, and by reviving I mean restarting the whole run, of course! Since I'm kind of busy with my classes and rping, don't expect me updating this thread everyday but I'll try to keep this run as alive as possible!​

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Cube Plays Pokémon Platinum

Chapter 1, Part 1: Let's meet Professor Rowan​

I'm greeted by Professor Rowan who proceeds to explain me about the World of Pokémon just as asking me my name and my friend's. Since this games are one of the few regions where I actually like how the male character looks, I picked him this time, and of course my name is Cube.

Spr_DP_Rowan.png

I'm in my room, in the second floor of a house in Twinleaf Town, watching "Let's Ask Professor Rowan" on Jubilife TV. Everything is calm until my friend, Barry decides to appear out of nowhere. I don't know exactly how but he gets to the conclusion that Rowan will give us a Pokémon if we ask him, so now I'm forced to go with him to his Research Lab. He's also a very rushed kid, which makes it hard to catch up with him.

Spr_Pt_Barry.png

I go to my friend's house and after crashing with me, he tells me that he will wait for me "on the road". By that I suppose he means Route 201, since there's not much places to go from the quiet Twinleaf Town, plus it's the only way we have to reach Sandgem Town where the Lab is. However, we are blocked by a patch of tall grass and much to my own trouble Barry wants to cross it by running. Thankfully, he is stopped by an old man who yells at him before he could start running, and that old man was none other than Professor Rowan! I thought he was at Jubilife City at the moment.

The Professor proceeds to monologue and ask himself if it's really safe to give us Pokémon, and after making us some questions, he decides to give us one! Just at the right time, his assistant appears with a briefcase with three PokéBalls inside.

I'm the first one to choose, and I go with the Water Type Pokémon Piplup, and Barry chooses the Grass Type Turtwig. That doen, Rowan invites us to his Lab and then leaves followed by his assistant.

393.png

As if Barry wasn't getting annoying enough he proceeds to ask me for our first Pokémon Battle. It's a long, but easy battle which I end up being victorious at after spamming the same move like ten times, and once it's over, both Barry and I head back home.

Current Playthrough Status:
Name:
Cube
Play Time: 0:14
Badges: 0
Pokémon: 1

Current Team:
393.png

Piplup, lvl 6

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024

I leave home again with my brand new Running Shoes and meet Barry once more in Route 201. He tells me that he wants to catch a Legendary Pokémon living in Lake Verity and show it to Rowan, and of course he leaves me no other choice but to follow him. There we meet some weird guy who was monologuing some nonsense I don't understand a thing about and then he leaves... we also realize that we don't have any PokéBalls with us (so I lost like 5 minutes of my playthrough because emulation is slow as well). Luckily, Rowan told us that we could ask him for whatever we needed, which means that he would definitely give us some PokéBalls.

Barry, as always, rushed to Sandgem Town, which made me wonder how did he got there before me. If I did that, the wild Pokémon would eat Piplup and me.

After fighting some Starly and running away from some others, I finally reach Sandgem Town. I don't have much time to explore the place, since just as I get there I meet the Professor's assistant, Dawn, the same who gave us our Pokémon before, and she asks me to follow her ins-

latest

Dawn asks me to follow her inside the lab, where we meet Professor Rowan.

He gives the name "Cobblepot" to Piplup and asks me to help him with his research by traveling across Sinnoh and catching Pokémon (you know, the usual thing), and gives me my own PokéDex too. He also gives me the TM27 Return.

Dawn proceeds to show me around the town. By that I mean only two places which are the PokéMart and the Pokémon Center. She also tells me to go home and tell mom that I'm going on an adventure. There's not much to look at in Sandgem, so I quickly go back to Twinleaf.
Back at Twinleaf Town, mom gives me a journal before I leave. Then Barry's mom appears, just as him, out of nowhere (it wouldn't hurt knocking the door from time to time, you know?), and says that he didn't show up but he may be at Jubilife City and asks me to deliver him a Parcel when I see him.

I go back to Sandgem and find Dawn in Route 202, where she teaches me how to catch a Pokémon, using her Chimchar against a wild Bidoof. She also gives me 5 PokéBalls as a gift for my own team but I don't catch anything here.

latest

Current Status:
Name:
Cube
Pokémon: 1

Current Team:
393.png

Cobblepot, lvl 9

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024

Chapter 1, Part 3: The Clowns and the Bullet Man

Dawn and I arrive at Jubilife City, where we meet an odd fellow, kinda old looking, who tell us he is working for the International Police. He says his name is... no, no, no, his codename is "Looker" and I don't know if I should believe him or not because right now he's just weird.

Spr_Pt_Looker.png

But Looker isn't important. I go to the Trainer School, where I find Barry who apparently memorized everything that was written on the board. I give him the Parcel I was supposed to deliver. It contains two Town Maps, because his mom probably thought he would lose one (I can't blame her, honestly. He wanted to catch a legendary without PokéBalls), but Barry says that one is good enough for him and gives the other one to me. He then leaves to Route 203.

I too, want to go to Route 203, but I'm stopped by some rando that I'm going to call Frank. Why? Because I don't remember if he had a name and he looks like a fat version of Frank Sahwit from the first Ace Attorney. Frank proceeds to tell me about the Pokétch, that is basically a watch that can do things a watch shouldn't do, and tells me that I have to find three clowns hidden in Jubilife and answer their questions correctly to get a Pokétch for free.

I don't want a Pokétch, but sure thing, Frank! I'm going in no time to search for three clowns around A WHOLE CITY

It's a boring quest, (and if you answer correctly it serves as another tutorial you probably don't need) but I pull it off quickly, except for the third clown that I couldn't find he was just at Frank's side. I get one coupon from each clown and Frank proceeds to count them... using his Pokétch. I-I don't know what the hell. I probably read that part wrong, but it's funny thinking it that way.

But whatever, Frank and my brand new Pokétch aren't important either. What is important is what I found in Route 204. The route I wasn't supposed to go yet. And that thing was... my first catch! A level 4, male Starly. I wanted to call him Starman, but then the name Bulletman came to my head and I liked it better. So whatever, welcome to the team, Bulletman. I'm sure you'll do great.

I grind Bulletman some levels until he is around the same as Cobblepot. And after some quick battles, we're finally ready for Route- wowowowowowow!!

Pt_Barry_Intro.png

Barry was waiting for me in the entrance to Route 203. Gladly, he doesn't bump into me this time, and challenges me to another Pokémon Battle!

I lose the first time. His Starly is weak but resists long enough to drop Bulletman's attack by two or three stages before it faints. Turtwig is very bulky for Bulletman and Cobblepot. But on the second try, Starly is finished easily by Bulletman and he reaches lvl 9, learning the move Wing Attack, which he'll use against Turtwig to finish it.

Was Barry really waiting for me in Route 203? Or did he also fall victim of Frank's Pokétch advertising and ended up arriving late to the Route? I'm not going to answer those questions ever, but tune in for the final part of Chapter 1 anyways. Tomorrow or when I feel like posting again, in this very same thread.

Current Status:
Name:
Cube
Pokémon: 2

Current Team:
393.png

Cobblepot, lvl 10

396-m.png

Bulletman, lvl 9

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024

Chapter 1, FINAL: vs. Roark

Not much happens in Route 203 after Barry's battle (I just got the Rock Smash HM from a Hiker), and I quickly get to Oreburgh City. City which, according to some kid that stopped me there, has what would be my first gym challenge. The kid guides me to the Oreburgh Gym, aaaaand TA-DA! Barry is there, of fucking course! But he doesn't battle me, in fact, he wants to challenge the gym too but it's closed because the leader, Roark, is in the coal mines at the moment. I guess I'll have to look for him in the mines now.

I go south of the city, where the mines are located. It's infested by Geodude and some Onix too, which I caught none of. There were also some workers there who were definitely up for a battle. I used that oportunity to train Cobblepot a bit before challenging the Gym. Roark, the Gym Leader isn't too far into the mines, and after showing me how to use the move Rock Smash out of battle, he tells me he'll meet me at his Gym and leaves.

The Gym can't be that hard can it? The only Rock Type Pokémon I've seen are weak x4 against Cobblepot's att- WHAT THE HELL?!

Spr_4p_408.png

This little guy with the egg-looking head is called Cranidos. Its head is so big that one Headbutt of it can take away 1/3 of Cobblepot's HP and OHKO Bulletman (considering Stealth Rock damage ofc). If that isn't enough, it is faster than both of my Pokémon and Headbutt has a flinch chance, so I have to be lucky and careful with it. I didn't realize that until I lost the first battle though...

Second try comes in, Roark's two first Pokémon fall before Cobblepot's Bubble and Cranidos enters the battlefield.

Two Headbutts, followed by nothing but flinching; but I use a Potion so Cobblepot is able to take one or two more hits.

Cobblepot takes the third Headbutt and is able to use Bubble. Cranidos' speed drops and HP is below 1/2. Cobblepot moves first now and hits the last Bubble, defeating Cranidos for good.

Roark says losing to someone with no badges is embarrasing, but I say relying on flinching to win should be more embarrasing. He gives me the Coal Badge and TM76 Stealth Rock.

Wow, wait! What is happening?!

Cobblepot is evolving!

Cobblepot evolved into a Prinplup just after Roark's battle. Learning the move Metal Claw with it. A little late, Cobblepot, but better than never I suppose.

Current Status:
Name:
Cube
Badges: 1

Current Team:
394.png

Cobblepot, lvl 16

396-m.png

Bulletman, lvl 11

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024

I go to Route 207, where I catch a Geodude for no reason other than needing something to learn Rock Smash other than my starter (since I'm not actually going to use that thing I don't give it a name), and go back to Jubilife City. Before entering the Oreburgh Gate I'm stopped by Barry, who tells me that Eterna City is the next place where I could get a Gym Badge.

I take my time in the Gate and Route 203 to battle all of the trainers I skipped earlier to level up Bulletman a bit, leaving him in level 13. And with no more trainers left to battle, I enter Jubilife once more.

I'm stopped by Looker, who tells me that he looked through the whole city and spotted no shady people but that I should also be careful. Weird because just as I started walking to Route 204 I saw two guys with ugly hair, they called themselves Team Galactic, kind of threatening Dawn and Professor Rowan, but being ignored by both of them the moment I appeared, it was a fun but sad scene to watch honestly. Long story short, I team up with Dawn and her Chimchar to battle against both Trainers, and we beat them both easily.

Yup! This again. Bulletman is evolving!

By the way, say whatever you want about how dumb these guys are, but this Battle Theme is a banger:

The Galactic Grunts say something about doing this for a greater good and all of that whatever nonsense supervillains say and leave. Dawn tells me then, that they were after Professor Rowan's research on evolution and that whatever they wanted to do with it wasn't good, but that's not important, at least not for now.

After some trainer battles and running away from Pokémon in Route 204, I arrive to my least favorite place for now: Floaroma Town. I don't like the theme (it's the one linked to the title of this post) and honestly there's not much to do here aside from getting the Sprayduck and some berries. There are two Galactic Grunts blocking a path to the Meadows but the ignore me, so whatever I think I'll have to go to Eterna Fo-- Oh, it's blocked too.

A little girl stops me and tells me that some weird guys took her father hostage in Valley Windworks. The only logical conclusion is that it was Team Galactic's doing. Anyways, I acceed to help the kid and find my expected Galactic Grunt in the door to the Windworks, I beat him in a battle and he tells me that he'll lock himself inside the Power Plant and that only one other Grunt has the key, but just as every villain in this whole series, he is so stupid that he tells me which Grunt it is and where I can find them.

So I go to the meadows and I see the two grunts from before trying to take some Honey from an old man. I try to stop them and beat both in a battle and they flee, leaving the Windworks Key behind.

I immediately infiltrate Valley Windworks and the first Grunt I battled goes to alert their Commander. Which leads me into meeting my wife Galactic Commander Mars, and she challenges me to a battle to see who leaves the place.

Honestly the battle isn't too hard, but fuck that Purugly, flinching is only fun when I do it and I haven't done it as far the playthrough has gone. It takes me two tries to beat her and then Mars and some other I don't know his name leave. The girl's father tells me that they want to do some nonsense about creating a new world, his daughter calls him stinky and that's about it. To Eterna Forest now.

Current Status:
Name:
Cube

Current Team:
394.png

Cobblepot, lvl 17

Spr_4p_397_m.png

Bulletman, lvl 18

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024

Once I leave the Valley Windworks, Looker appears and said that he was here because he had word that Team Galactic was there. A little late, but that's fine at least that means that he really is working for the International Police. After congratulating me for that, he leaves, and I leave too, now to Eterna City.

Nothing remotely important happens in Route 205, other than leveling up a bit and finding a Shellos that I wanted to catch but I made it faint.

I find a place to rest and heal my Pokémon and not too far from it was Eterna Forest. Once I take my first steps inside I meet another person: A green haired girl with a green dress who says her name is Cheryl. She says that she wants to get through the forest but that she'd better go with another person in case she runs into Team Galactic, in exchange, she would keep my Pokémon in full health.

I have no other choice but to accept helping her. Her only Pokémon is a Chansey that likes to throw bombs at everything and isn't really good at fighting. We find many wild Pokémon and some trainers looking for a battle, and it wasn't long into the forest that we got attacked by a wild Wurmple and an angry Buneary. In fact, that Buneary was so angry that with one Frustration was able to take down Cheryl's Chansey. However, with the same amount of PokéBalls I was able to catch Angry the Buneary.

After that, there was nothing much left to do here. Angry is a great fighter, although there was a battle against two trainers using Abras with Fighting Type Hidden Power where she couldn't do much.

After some more time leveling up Angry, Cheryl and I finally reach the end of the forest. She gives me a Soothe Bell before leaving and that's everything for this part of the chapter.

Something I realized, though, was that there was an abandoned mansion near the exit of the forest. I wonder what's there, maybe I'll find out once I get the Cut HM.

Current Status:
Name:
Cube
Pokémon Caught: 6

Current Team (3):
394.png

Cobblepot, lvl 20

Spr_4p_397_m.png

Bulletman, lvl 20

427.png

Angry, lvl 20

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024

I arrive to Eterna City, where I meet Barry once more (or more like, he bumps into me once more). He asks me to go see the statue that is east of the city with him, where we find the same man that was monologuing in Lake Verity and yes, he is monologuing here too.

After that, Barry goes to challenge the gym, and I decide to explore the city a bit. There are a lot of Team Galactic members here, apparently they are conducting an investigation on the statue. Which makes me think that the monologuing guy has something to do with them too. There's also a very weird looking building that is called the Team Galactic Eterna Building, but I can't enter the place because it's blocked by small trees, so I'll need the HM01 Cut for this too.

Just in front of the T.G. Eterna Building, I meet another character. Her name is Cynthia, apparently she's a trainer too with a good fashion sense! She seems to know Professor Rowan as well. She says that she's studying Pokémon Mythology and that apparently there used to be very strong Pokémon many years ago. She also gives me HM01 Cut because she is very cool. Talk about good timing, I just met her and I already like her! She has a lot of merchandise too, so I think I'm not the only one, I personally like the Nendoroid a lot and I want to buy it.

Well, there's really not much to do here in Eterna City and I can't leave because I need a bike to do so. And I can't buy a bike in Eterna City because they are too expensive. But hey, there's the Gym!

Gym Leader Gardenia was waiting for me. Apparently Barry told her that I was gonna challenge her soon, so she waited for me outside the gym and said that she will wait for me inside to challenge her.

I like the Floral Clock thing, honestly. The Gym itself isn't hard to beat. The Gym Trainers' Pokémon fall one by one by Bulletman's Wing Attack and after three battles I'm finally able to reach Gardenia. And her battle isn't hard either. It takes me two tries to beat her, more because Roserade manages to outspeed Bulletman and use Stun Spore and then it's just bad luck from my part. Cobblepot has no chance against Roserade and neither does Angry. The story is different on the second try and I manage to beat Gardenia.

Now I can use the HM01 Cut outside of battle and enter the Old Chateau and T.G. Eterna Building to see what kind of reaserch they are doing there.

Current Status:
Name:
Cube
Badges: 2
Pokémon Caught: 6

Current Team (3):
394.png

Cobblepot, lvl 20

Spr_4p_397_m.png

Bulletman, lvl 24

427.png

Angry, lvl 20

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024

Been a while since I last updated this, but no, I didn't forget my journal here I actually did.

I wanted to end chapter 2 with Jupiter's battle, but honestly the posts in chapter 2 were too short and not much goes on in the Galactic Building, it's boring as heck. Doesn't matter, let's begin.

After beating Gardenia and getting the Forest Badge I go to the Galactic Building north of the city where I find Looker who turns out is a master of disguise as well. Since this is Pokémon, it's perfectly fine for an Interpol Officer to leave a ten year old on their own to infiltrate the building of a criminal organization, so... yes, that's what he does. He does tell me that they aren't really smart and that I can see the correct way to the top easily, and he was right, for every correct staircase has a phrase about going up... literally.

I reach the top, not without beating every single Grunt in the building first and I find Commander Jupiter, who had stolen two Pokémon from an oldman and another guy that wasn't there. I lose on my first attempt with her Stunktank just at 1 HP but on the second try I beat her fair and square as usual.

Apparently Galactic stole the oldman's Clefairy because it comes from the moon... okay. That doesn't make any sense.

I leave Eterna City, or try to leave. BUT I DON'T HAVE A BIKE!!! So I go to the Bike Shop. Cynthia stops me and she gives me an egg that I'll probably box later.

Turns out the oldman from before was the bike shop owner, so as a thank you gift, he gave me a bike. It's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good, except for a flag but I got that one later.

I leave Eterna City, or attempt to do so. BUT I'M STOPPED AGAIN AND NOW I HAVE TO GET A EXPLORER KIT! I get the explorer kit and some traps after some quest from the oldman that gave me that thing and I'm finally able to enter the Cycling Road! Yay!

There are many trainers there that easily fall against my three-man team. I also take more time in Route 206 that I should've, during my stay there I found Batarang the Gligar, name that will possibly change once I get a better idea or box it after finding something better.

A hiker told me that there are two entrances to Wayward Cave, but that he didn't seem to find the second entrance. But I know where the entrance is because I saw it in a youtube video last month, and I also know what I can find there. In the Wayward Cave I learn that Bronzor is a Sinnoh Pokémon and not Unova (I don't know why I thought it was from Unova) and after 10 or so wild encounters I find what I came for:

Current Status:
Name:
Cube
Badges: 2

Current Team (5):
394.png

Cobblepot, lvl 25

Spr_4p_397_m.png

Bulletman, lvl 25

427.png

Angry, lvl 23

207-m.png

Batarang, lvl 17

443-m.png

Hammer, lvl 20

Spr_4d_Egg.png

Egg

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
ah right this thread.
i have to haha resume my playthrough

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
You may be wondering why it took me so long to post a new update, and well... it's just how long it took for the game to save one hour or so of playthrough.

Seriously, if there's a game you don't want to emulate it's Sinnoh games, even playing Platinum like I'm doing right now. What pisses me off the most is that I can't even make an appropiate sinnoh slow joke because I AM playing Sinnoh.

Now that I remembered this thread there's nothing stopping me, though. At least until I inevitably put this playthrough on hiatus once I decide to make another Donkey Kong Country trilogy playthrough or just play the first Mother without falling asleep and end playing Earthbound and Mother 3 instead. Spoilers: I already did the DKC trilogy playthrough.

Before continuing with this, I'd like to explain that I've played until before the gym before I stopped posting here, so I may mess up some of the events because it's been like half a year lmao.

Moving onto the next chapter:

I remember stopping after I caught Hammer the Gible in what is probably the easiest and earliest way to get a pseudo legendary in the story of this franchise, correct me if I'm wrong. It's before the third gym and it's a 20% encounter. It's not even rare. That is not really a bad thing, but it's Garchomp what we are talking about, one of the most versatile pseudolegendaries out there. Even though it's not like versatility is something to give one or two shits about when you are playing mainline Pokémon games, I personally would've made it a 10% encounter. And to be honest, at least Gible is hidden. It's not like they handed over a mega stone capable of soloing the whole game in its entirety after beating Jupiter, but that topic is for a different travel journal that hopefully I'm not going to do.

After going past the cycling road, if my memory serves right, I had to stop in Mt. Coronet thing that I believe I'm going to do a lot for the rest of the game. But I'm not complaining, this theme is beautiful:

But before that I'm stopped by Dawn once again and she gives me something for the Pokétch that is an item finder, basically. It kinda scans the whole place and tells you if there's something hidden nearby, but only on a 10 step plane.. I did have a lot of fun with it, though. I think most of this chapter's playthrough went playing with that thing.

I think I ran into Cyrus monologues once again in Mt. Coronet, I honestly can't remember well, but after that I got to Hearthome City! Home of Pokémon Contests, cute Pokémon following you and... hearts I think. It's a pretty nice place. Too bad the emulator lagged so much there.

Suprisingly enough, my mom has a life in this game and she is into Pokémon Contests. She even gave me clothes if I wanted to participate (I didn't). I also got to meet the Gym Leader, Fantina. After talking to her, she went back to the gym, where she would be waiting for me to challenge her.

Fantina's gym is some maze thing with flashlights. I was given the option to skip everyone, but I wanted to kick asses so I beat them all instead. Hammer evolved in one of the battles against the gym trainers.

4998_-_Pokemon_-_Platinum_Version_v01_U__32677.png

This also has nothing to do with this, but this fella said my Pokémon were shifty and I read it wrong and it made me laugh.

4998_-_Pokemon_-_Platinum_Version_v01_U__233.png

Fantina is mean, though. Not because she is hard to beat no, but because she has a Mismagius as her ace and I can't get one because Misdreavus and Murkrow are locked behind trades and it made me really sad.

I could've beat her with only Gabite and Gligar, but I forgot about healing my Pokémon first, so Hammer was just at half health when I confronted her. Also bad RNG because how the fuck does Will-o-Wisp hit a Sand Veil Pokémon under Sandstorm is beyond me. In the end I beat her thanks to Angy's immunity and she hating me so much, two hits were enough to take down her Haunter which was her last Pokémon.

4998_-_Pokemon_-_Platinum_Version_v01_U__2140.png

Current team:
Spoiler:

Back