• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Fire Red: BACKWARDS Edition

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Unfortunately, I planned for people like you.

So yeah, I'm basically a sadist. Wheeh!

(My next hack will probably be a lot easier than this one.)
I thought further about this. Salamence learns Fly naturally. Is it possible to get a Bagon in this game before this point? Flying would solve the no-backtrack problem...unless you were cruel and set it to require a badge further ahead.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
...Learns fly naturally?

Man, I completely forgot that. Shame too, because fly is a required Hm in this game! I'll be sure to fix that in my next one.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
...Learns fly naturally?

Man, I completely forgot that. Shame too, because fly is a required Hm in this game! I'll be sure to fix that in my next one.
I wasn't encouraging you to make it WORSE...:P Seriously, let that be the only way out of the area. Make the player think about it and commit the time. If they do, they deserve to use it. Someone delaying evolution of Salamence will not be able to learn the move; it's only learned upon evolution at Lv.50.

BTW, Rayquaza learns it naturally too, in case you have Rayquaza fought by this point.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Absolutely nothing because this hack is done and I'm making a new one.

There is a little bit of one island, though.

nml

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2015
I've played this hack up to the point when you get fly, and I'm disappointed by it.
Idea sounds interesting, and it has a lot of potential, but majority of it was wasted.

First of all, as, someone said before, there are glitches everywhere. Strength move which has infinite number of moves, legendary birds which don't disappear after catching them and have pressure ability and are situated on rock tunnel, and so on, and so on. About rock tunnel will be more later.

Secondly I expected some more creativity in blocking the way. I saw on screenshot that road to Virdian city was blocked by old guy, but I thought that it was one time joke. Oh boy, I was wrong.

-Random old guy, who block a way (three times or more), and says that he won't move until I get another badge. Really, you couldn't think of something else?

-Randomly appearing mom, when there are long routes without healing spot. I don't ask for hotel or rest house like in emerald, but even lemonade stand would be more logical.

- Doors blocked in a way, that looks completely silly, like Cycling Road and south entrance to Saffron. It just look awful - even to me who have no high standard on mapping.

- Trainers. Hiker who has not typical pokemons, without any explanation. I don't ask for logical explanation, it could be even "SLUGMA wants me to have fire pokemon!", but hikers are supposed to have rock/fighting pokemons.

- I'm not against adding new moveset to pokemon, but leaving them with only struggle? Or that particular trainer near diglett cave with those ponytas? It's too much.

- It would be a better game if trainers texts would be appropriate to their surrounding and pokemons. You left majority of them untouched, and sometimes they sound stupid.

- Some trainers are glitched, and in rematch, by vs seeker, they've got weaker pokemons.

- You changed type of many pokemons, but haven't removed stupid evolution requirements (like trade)? :(

- Rock Tunnel.
After getting to power plant I saw blocked pokecenter, and thought Ha, ha very funny. Still I have plenty of lemonade, all pokemons have some moves, and next city is close. I can do it!
And then I went through ledge, and overwrite my state save. It was bad idea. Thanks to glitchy arcticuno at the begging of nugget bridge I had.
50 level primeape with around 2 pp of earthquake, sky uppercut and low kick, and infinite strenght
43 level sheninja with 1 shadow ball. Almost full fury cut and screech, and few confuse rays.
49 level flygon with few dragon breaths, crunch and signal beam. And lot of faint attacks.
40 level metang, which I was planning to train here by exp share. (It sure got a lesson of life.)
Blastoise and Swalot with no pp left for agressive moves.
About 10 lemonades, no PP restore items, and trash tms.

AND I MADE IT. (Mainly thanks to quick save/quick load and paralyzing by dragonbreath, BUT STILL!)

But it's not the problem. It isn't even a problem that it was completely unannounced.
The problem is that you ruined map of city, only to deliver one overused joke about rival.

To sum up, Idea is decent, but realization is bad. Still it's not the worst hack I've seen here, and I've even see worse hacks getting nomination or something. I know you won't change this hack, but maybe my opinion would be helpful in future hacks, probably not LOL.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for some insight! Lemme see what I can respond to. Most of these are problems I have no intention to have in my next hack, but I can say why most of these are here.

The strength problem is really just something I can't fix! A-Tack immediately closes if I click on strength, so there was really nothing I could do with my amateur hacking skill. Granted, I should have asked how to go into the code or something and fix it without the editor, but I just left it. It's not a very serious hack anyways, so I didn't think it would seem entirely out of place. (Legendaries that refuse to disappear are a matter of me not noticing them before it was too late. I'll be scripting my next hack instead of borrowing everything, so I'll just end up testing everything anyways.)

The Old man functions as sort of a running gag, as does the player's mother. "Making sense" isn't exactly the point of this hack! Whether or not that's a bad thing is up to interpretation.

Nobody's ever complained about poorly blocked paths before, but I completely agree! That's awful and I should have done more map editing on those routes.

I only recall a few trainers where I went against the almighty rules on Pokemon types, but I also don't remember trying to give them anything specific. I wanted to avoid redundancy, and if an area had a lot of hikers, I probably did some things that don't make much sense.

The Pokemon having struggle thing is a small mistake, but I definitely didn't leave anything with struggle. You're probably thinking of things like Kakuna, Silcoon, Cascoon, and Metapod. The game only allows for them to have two or so moves (I could probably fix that but never thought about trying), so they learn plenty of moves prior to evolution (which is at level 35-ish in this game), and then a few afterwards. Unfortunately, trainer Pokemon defaulted to having moves learned up to that level, which caused some of them to have struggle.

As for the trainer with the Ponyta that have weird moves, he's based off a friend of mine who happens to be quite the fan of My Little Pony. The moves are based on the characters. That is insanely ridiculous and probably bad for the hack itself, but since my next hack is more serious, things like that won't happen again.

Trainer texts are a problem, but my next hack is set in a new region, so everything will be changed to be appropriate.

Oops. The Vs. Seeker is really hard to work around, but I probably won't hack Fire Red again (I hate its tileset), so that shouldn't be a problem.

The only mistake I made on evolution requirements was not telling everyone that I changed the requirements for trade evolutions in the first post, because I thought it was a given. (They're stone evolutions.)

Rock tunnel was probably a terrible design choice, but I tried to have NPCs before it tell you to bring ethers. I never mentioned that you can buy them in Lavender mart, though. Rock Tunnel is supposed to be funny due to how outrageously stupid and dickish it is. (Without actually being hard: The Pokemon there should be about seven levels under yours when you get there.) I've gotten great reception for the "overused joke" at the end, though, so I'll just say that's your opinion!

So basically this hack isn't professional or serious at all, and was meant to be funny while still working gameplay-wise. I'm not really sure if that worked (reception of it has been pretty mixed, but the negative reactions have always been the most thought out), but I probably won't do it again.

...I've said "it'll be better in my next hack" a lot now. I actually have enough progress to post a thread in the "progressing hacks" forum, so I may go ahead and do that now.

Last edited:

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
It was a while ago that I played this hack but if I remember correctly, getting to cerulean city and 'gary mfing oak' showing up was my all time favourite moment in any pokemon game I've ever played. Thankfully I beat the whole thing first time, including him with a Golduck that I'd got up to level 80 or something by that point and a load of ethers. I hated the game, and you should take that as a compliment because that's what made it so good.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
You get there by reading the text after beating the champion, which I'd assume you did!

The first post also says to make sure your game saves without save states, anyways. Regardless, the postgame is like hell if hell had inside jokes instead of fire, so you probably wouldn't enjoy it much anyways.

Spoiler:

Edit: Oh, and Kadabra evolves with a moon stone.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2017
A quick question, when trying to save the game says 'save error - please exchange the backup memory'

Would there be any way to fix this without losing my progress?

Cheers, the hack is great fun by the way.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
Abra being found at much higher levels than everything else and the fact that you can evolve Kadabra with a Moon Stone kinda makes Alakazam an easy choice for your team, even if you already got a Psychic in 'Free.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Nope. It's a gag about the "use strength on the truck" deal.

If I was really determined I probably could have made a script where you use strength to move the truck, but since it's a map tile and not a sprite, that would've been rather difficult.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016

If I was really determined I probably could have made a script where you use strength to move the truck, but since it's a map tile and not a sprite, that would've been rather difficult.
You could have made a big-ass sprite out of it. See Light Platinum, legendaries get moved all the time and they're the size of the truck. Also, on Route 410 there, two construction barriers appear on the map in AdvanceMap, but are completely gone after the Guardian Tower; they're map tiles that get hidden.

Cyclone

Years

ok, thanks. and good work on that gauntlet, felt good to have a hack that tested my endurance like that. also kabutops and Linoone wreck like nobody's buisness.

Back