• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Skylar's Goals

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Most colleges/universities also let you iirc go in as an "undeclared major". But if you don't really know what you want to get into, then starting as a liberal arts or general humanities major like you said is probably a good way to go. Should be able to take a wide variety of courses that way and maybe you'll find something that really piques your interest that you can then switch to.

Hopefully you'll find a major or career that you really want to get into, otherwise you might end up like me lol.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
Can confirm what Nah said, you definitely do not have to worry about being pressured into a major for your first two years. I've even heard war stories of people switching around completely different fields of study their third year, and still coming out on top (at the cost of increased workload.) So don't feel too pressured into picking a major just yet. I would recommend taking advantage of your first two years and explore what interests you, though. You could easily find a passion that you didn't know that you had!

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
thank you. good news! the program that was being offered at university of south alabama wouldn't accept me. well, they couldn't, because i was too smart for it, which is good, i guess? however, i did visit another college today, bishop state, and i got in! i'm sort of a college student now? i don't start until august though. but, i have to do a placement test on the 22nd, to see what classes i take and how well i do with certain subjects. hopefully it goes well. i also applied for financial aid, which was a pain, but i'm glad i got that over with.

the college i'm going to is extremely small, which i like. it's a pretty small campus, compared to other colleges i've been to. but i'm excited and nervous as hell at the same time to start college. my big sister supports my decision though, as does my mom, and now i can finally get my life started or together somewhat. i just hope i do well in college.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i took the placement test. it went well. i got my class schedule taken care of now since i'll be in new york for a month with my dad and seeing my best friend. i'm taking basic math, basic english (but the 2nd to highest level), history of western civilizations, art appreciation and public speaking. so..yeah. they're all on tuesdays and thursdays which means i'll have monday, wednesday, friday, saturday and sunday to study and do homework and stuff like that so...yeah. i'm still a bit overwhelmed though.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
i took the placement test. it went well. i got my class schedule taken care of now since i'll be in new york for a month with my dad and seeing my best friend. i'm taking basic math, basic english (but the 2nd to highest level), history of western civilizations, art appreciation and public speaking. so..yeah. they're all on tuesdays and thursdays which means i'll have monday, wednesday, friday, saturday and sunday to study and do homework and stuff like that so...yeah. i'm still a bit overwhelmed though.

Sounds good! Although public speaking may be a rough time for you. You will be graded an your presentations, and that really does not mix well with anxiety. I don't even consider myself to be an awfully anxious person, and that class still kicked my ass. Just something to think about.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
hey there guys. so uh. my first day of college was yesterday and it kicked my ass and threw me to the curb practically. well, first things first, let me say, i did go to the disability office and got my accommodations however the lady who works in the office has not given my teachers the letters that show proof that i need them yet. i hope they get them by thursday at least..

anyways uh. first day was yesterday. it was...scary as all hell. i thought it wouldn't be too hard cause it was the first day and cause it's a community college but.. oh god. it's so hard. a lot of my assignments and quizzes and books are online and..i have to keep up with them myself and remember to do them myself which i don't mind, it'll teach me to be more independent, but.. it's such a huge change from high school. i actually have homework for the first time in two years (because at my private school they didn't give out homework bc they felt it would overwhelm and stress students out) but.. first thing i did when i got home was i logged into the college website and then i did all my homework.

i didn't have too much luckily, only public speaking (which was a syllabus quiz), and art appreciation (which was an introduction to yourself) and i made sure to do those things first thing when i got home (instead of what i usually do which is youtube). all i have to do now is get 4x6 index cards, dividers, and a binder before tomorrow, which hopefully i can do. i already have two binders for english and math which you absolutely need, and i also need a binder for history of western civilization, because we take a /lot/ of notes in that class and the teacher does a lot of lectures.

my second day is tomorrow, and i'm going to see if sometime in between my classes (probably inbetween my public speaking and art class bc i have like a 40 minute period there), i can switch out my art book for just the online code that i need to do the assignments and whatnot. hopefully i will be able to do that tomorrow, and also do the math tutoring i am required to do (all the students are required but i don't mind, it's free tutoring). and.. uh. yeah.

i cried in front of my western civ teacher at the end of class bc i am a big cry baby but i am gonna see if tomorrow i can ask her for a few minutes after class and explain my situation. she was understanding about me crying yesterday so hopefully when i explain my situation to her tomorrow she will understand.

the only thing i am worried about in college is getting behind on my assignments or missing some but..if i stay on top of things then i should be ok. i'm just..especially worried about western civ because /so/ much of it is online. gonna see if she can help me figure out an easier way to access the online book though and hopefully i'll be okay.

i dunno. college is just.. a lot harder than i thought it would be. it's such a huge change from high school. the only teacher i really like so far is my public speaking teacher surprisingly. she's super upbeat and bubbly and funny. also she doesn't give homework, instead gives us speeches to do (we have to write an outline of a speech and stuff like that). but..hopefully i'll be okay. the teacher i really don't like is my english teacher. she just seems so strict and.. firm and scary. all my other teachers are okay though.

and uh. yeah.. i should be okay if i just stay on top of things but..the thought of having to do a lot of my work online and keep up with it is insanely overwhelming.

Years
It sounds like you have a solid handle on it. Just make sure stay disciplined about it and you'll experience way less stress than procrastinators who put things off until the last minute. I'm speaking from personal experience on the "doing it as you go" vs "procrastinate" strategies, especially for online courses (my personal tendencies were to procrastinate). Sounds like you have a way better handle on the transition than I initially did. My suggestion would just to be getting in the habit of checking the web classroom portals at least once a day and jotting down the coursework that's there on a notepad of some sort, if not just outright doing the coursework. Maybe set aside specific times of day for you to check on and then do your online coursework. Building it as a habit makes it feel like a part of your normal routine rather than anything extra that you have to do.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
sorry for the double post but i'd just like to talk about my second day of college. it went a bit better than my first day. in math i took a lot of notes and got homework, which y'know..math ew but it's whatever i guess.. then since i dropped western civilization (bc it seemed /way/ too hard and overwhelming for me to keep up with especially since i'm a first time student and it was western civ 2 not history 101) and so i had a lot of free time inbetween my math and english class. but didnt have anything to do bc the tutoring hadnt started yet that week.

then i had english and we got the syllabus and calendar (she didnt want to give it to us until we had the necessary materials for class), and she talked..a lot. but i dont mind that shes a talkative teacher lol. then i had public speaking and..uh. it was good. but i have to write an outline for my speech that im giving on tuesday (its an introductory speech), and i havent been able to yet bc i emailed my teacher some important questions about it and she hasnt answered yet :/

and then i had art appreciation, where we just talked about what we thought art was and we watched some videos. we havent gone over anything in the book yet but she said were supposed to next week so..joy :^)

oh well. i feel a lot better now that i dropped western civ though. i'm sure i'll be fine as long as i just stay on top of things.

edit: id also like to add i did finish my math homework and it took me 2 hours bc i suck at math

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
hello. it's..been a while.

i am almost done with my first semester in community college. it has went well and i have gotten a handle on it. i am passing all my classes with A's, and i have made good grades on all my tests, except one which my teacher let the whole class retake because all of the class did not do well on it. finals are coming up this week, and i am quite nervous. i already took my art final however, and i made a 98 on it, so that's good. i have my english final on tuesday, as well as a math test (not a final, just a test), on tuesday, my public speaking final on either tuesday or thursday. i'm not sure yet, since it is a group persuasive speech and my teacher is randomly picking our topics from a hat. then i have my math final on thursday, and i hope it goes well.

however even if i do make a somewhat low score on it (like 80 or something), i think i have a good enough average in the class that i will pass. my spring semester classes start january 8th, and i already have paid for my classes through financial aid. all that i have left to do after i finish finals for fall semester is to get my books for my spring semester classes, and get my financial aid for next fall semester figured out.

i have a good handle on things, i feel, and i am glad things are going well. i am also very happy with my lovely boyfriend, unrelated i know sorry. but he has been very supportive through everything and i don't know what i'd do without him. we will have been dating for 2 months on december 29th, however we had talked for almost 6 months before i decided to finally get the guts to ask him out.

anyways, life is..going well, even if it is somewhat uneventful with just me going to school 2 days a week and doing homework, all that fun jazz. ah well.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
My goal is to bash 2015 to the point others will also stop liking 2015 and it becomes the least popular year in history

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
Well.. alright, then. You do that. But.. this is a serious thread about my goals. Unless you're being serious about your goal, in which case there is a new thread option for a reason.. ^^;

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
hello. i just would like everyone to know that i got my final grades back for my class and i passed them all with A's. i am proud of myself since i didn't think i would make all A's. however i am proud i did and i am preparing for spring semester 2018 where i will be taking some harder classes. hopefully i will be okay though, if i just keep up what i'm doing and stay on top of things.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
hello my first day of spring semester was monday and my second was today. (i have classes back to back 2 days a week). it was..something. i'm taking psychology, elementary algebra, english 101 and US history. i'm mostly worried about psychology and US history because i suck at those subjects.. ugh. :c hopefully i'll be okay. i've gotten all my assignments done so far except for one small one that i'll do at my local library tomorrow and.. yeah. i don't have classes again until next wednesday so that helps. now i'll have a lot of time to relax.

i'm not looking forward to classes getting even harder, though. :/

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
hello. it's been a while. but my spring semester has been going well. i'm making an A an English 101, a high B in elementary algebra, a high B in US history, and a low B in Psychology so.. i'm passing them, at least! i'm just thankful for that.

however, my plans may have changed for college. if all goes according to plan i may be going to a different college in the fall. so, basically, long story short, i have an appointment tomorrow with my VR (vocational rehab services), and i am going to see if i can get evaluated for autism, because my mom and a few other family members have suspected that i have had it since i was little but my dad refused to acknowledge it and get me tested. if i do get diagnosed with it, my mom and i are going to visit this other school a few hours away from where i live. i do not /need/ a diagnosis of autism to get in, but it would boost my chances of getting in. it is a sort of..training school, i guess?

they have all kinds of things there, like job training, teaching life skills (like cooking, laundry, etc), college classes (which hopefully i can continue doing there if i get in), and many other things. however, if for some reason i dont get in, then i will have to continue going to the college i am at now. my mom also did get another job offer in a town a few hours away from here though, so if i do not get into the training school i said, then i would have to start going to the school there.

however i hope that everything works out and that i can get into the training school because i feel like it would help a lot. they have dorms so i would be living there and everything.. it seems a bit scary but it also seems like what would be best for me right now.

i also just want my spring semester to hurry up and be finished so it can be closer to when my boyfriend comes and visits me for the first time (it's a ldr).. he's gonna visit me on may 27th, and stay for 2 weeks. i'm very excited but also very nervous..

but anyways. i guess that's all thats new with me. im on spring break (its almost done) and i didnt do much, because i have basically no irl friends, but.. i went to toys r us with my mom before they close permanently (which will be sometime in May), and i got a care bear and a coloring book! i also got mcdonalds later that day and it was good..

but..yeah. just wanted to update you guys on whats going on with my life.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
hey there. so uh, still going to regular community college. i paid for my classes and everything and i called the bus program i'm with to take me to the college next monday so i can get my books and a new student ID. uhm.. yeah. i feel like a real adult ;v; i also met my boyfriend (twice) and it went wonderfully!!!

the classes i'm taking this semester are math 100 (intermediate algebra), orientation, creative writing, eng 102 and math 099 (it's a new required class that's extra help for math 100). hopefully this semester won't be too difficult. i should be fine. then i need to figure out my classes for spring semester and whatnot once that starts getting close but.. yeah. just have 3 more semesters left (since it'll take me a bit longer since i've been taking 4 classes a semester).

but.. i have a good feeling about this.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
sup my dudes

i had my first 2 days yesterday bc i have classes 4 days a week now. it's actually nicer like this. i have more time when i get home to do my homework, and i'm not as exhausted at the end of the day. the first day went well!! i had orientation and english 102. we just went over the syllabus in english, and in orientation we couldn't do a lot since the teacher was unexpectedly absent.

however, today went well too! i had math 100, math 099 and creative writing today. both my math classes went well, we just went over the syllabus for both classes and we did a worksheet in math 099. in creative writing, we also went over the syllabus and did a fun getting to know you game where we said the kind of stuff we liked to write. creative writing seems a little confusing so far with the methods of turning in work and whatnot but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it once we go more in depth into class.

i'm really excited for this semester. oh also turns out i only need to buy one book this semester since there's no required book for creative writing or orientation, and for math 099 and math 100 we can use the same book we had for math 098 last semester if we took it (which i did). so i'm really glad. i'll be saving lots of money that way!

edit: also im really proud of myself bc i did all my homework so far and three assignments aren't due for another one or two weeks, and two of them aren't due until thursday. i'm glad to get back into the swing of things even though i've been out of school a few months.

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
sup my fall semester went well, aside from me failing math 100 but thats fine. made all A's in my other classes. uhmm.. yeah. so far my spring semester has been going well, my classes are fairly easy for the most part. not too hard but not too easy either.

i have a sort of new plan for myself after i finish cc. i think im gonna get a part time job of some sort and save up so i can move in with my boyfriend bc god knows i dont wanna stay in the south for any longer than i have to. but.. yeah, other than that not much else has been going on in my life. ive sorta made a local friend, ive just been too chicken to make plans cause idk how to make plans

but yeah.. my mental health is a bit iffy lately and im trying to work on that.

Back