• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Superheroes (again)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Hello, many have tried, most have died. Now, I too would too like to start a superhero RP :) But I would like some pointers.

1) What are some things you really would like to see in a superpowered RP?

2) What would you want us to avoid?

3) Other things you can imagine or have experienced works worse or better or just general ideas or advice on how to set things up or run it? :D

I have a story and setting in mind, but I would prefer to not reveal it until I've heard some thoughts from a potential playerbase <3 thank you for your time!

WooliestSteam

A Little Wooly Piece of Steam
Years
- When it comes to an RP involving superpowers I really love a setting where nobody's characters have fully developed powers. I've always preferred the journey of a character from having very undeveloped powers to finally gaining control of them rather than a setting where it's jumped straight to the end and everyone has complete mastery of their powers.

- One thing I'd like to see avoided is this idea that certain characters are essentially undefeatable. I've been in RP's before that featured superpowers, RP's that had characters that could walk into a room and within a second or two simply wipe out everyone in that room, that for me doesn't make it enjoyable because personally as I mentioned in previous I like the journey of having powers rather than a setting where the powers are fully developed.

3) Other things you can imagine or have experienced works worse or better or just general ideas or advice on how to set things up or run it? :D
- One thing that I've always found is as I've said before, I think if it's an RP where powers are masterfully controlled from the get go it's very easy for certain people to write their character in a way that makes them undefeatable.

An example for me (even though it never held up for a long period of time) of an RP that I enjoyed the approach to powers was Guilded Halls :>

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Ah, so maybe a setting where smaller more random powers would be preferred, where the user has to learn to be clever and find a good way to make themselves useful rather than have themselves be Fighting Machines automatically? :)

Kind of like Gilded Halls or Atlantis Awakening! I recall one character in the latter having their only mutation/power be that they had a tail.

WooliestSteam

Years
For me yeah definitely, I think it just makes for more interesting characters! Like, as far as I remember from your character from Guilded Halls 2 you could do like a funky alchemy type fusion of objects, that made it a blast to read, more interesting and exciting to me anyway than "I can fly around and shoot fireballs from my hands" - an extreme example I know but I'm sure you get me point hehehe :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah I agree haha. So a setting where it makes sense for people to come up with creative powers, maybe stuff that seems useless until they get the chance to really shine :)

I think Boku No Hero Academia is more on that side, gives people odd powers where they have to figure out how to use them to their fullest in order to be able to act like heroes.

WooliestSteam

Years
Yep definitely, I'd be on board with that approach for sure!

Yeah that's for sure the way I'd like to see it go buuuuut by the looks of it I'm just one person here hehehe, Other people might have a very different view :P

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
Years
- Steam brought up my thing (: Having our characters go through a journey to grow and thus allow their powers to manifest. Wouldn't mind seeing it with a Mature rating either, seeing as how such a world of superpowers can definitely go down dark.

Hmmmmm. A slow pace I suppose, but that's more of a personal preference.

- Maybe it just might be me, or others may share the same, but I am not so fond of sandbox RPs and have seen those with goals and "missions" flourish. Then again i have yet to both enjoy and see a sandbox rp go far, but i don't doubt when done right they're lovely. (I admit i haven't been here long enough to be certain of this)

Years
I like powers-based games. I like everything about having powers.

Teamwork. Like everyone here, I enjoy creativity and unusual abilities, but I absolutely love seeing people combine their powers. Granted, making it team based would be more difficult, but if we encourage joint posting we can see more Super Teamwork Combos (TM)!

Controversial opinion, but I don't like heavy, ham-fisted DRAMA. In a powers game, where we're just learning to use our abilities, to learn and grow as both heroes and as people, maybe we don't have to face the end if the world every week? I like the more lighthearted approach, let us experiment and have fun!

Keep things loose, allow for freedom and creativity, but know when to reign things in. This is a difficult balance, and it requires players who are willing to work with you, not actively try to break everything. I'm not sure how to actually do this, but if everyone has an open mind and is willing to work things out, we can come up with some pretty great stuff.

Back