• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon Obsidian Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Reactor

Yeah I can't figure ou why the music is so weird at that part :/

As for the circle from the woods, I can fix that in version 2.
I don't really know how to edit the gender symbols...

I feel like a majority of the posts are complaining aboutthe game. Other than the bugs, are people even enjoying it?

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
Lol. I am enjoying it very much. This is my favorite fan game I've played to date. I just want to give you some feedback on what I think can be improved.

I'm not too fond of the fakemon sprites, either. But eh, they work fine.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
None of the links seem to be working, they're all down.

--
I suggest making a folder in megaupload, then put the demo in that folder, and instead of putting a link to the demo, put a link to the folder.

So if you need to replace the demo with a newer version, then all you would have to do is just put the new version in the folder. This way, you won't have to go change the links to the never version, as it'll just direct to whatever is in the folder (I use mediafire myself, but should work the same way)

I'm having the same problem. None of the links are working for me either.

This game does look pretty good though, from what i've seen.

Atomic Reactor

Where are you getting the links from? The first post should have a working link. So should my first post on this page... What happens when you follow the link?

Nakuzami

Years
Well what the hell... that's weird, because it is still in my files on my account... ill upload it to rapidshare then.
https://rapidshare.com/files/2464755461/Pok__mon_Obsidian_Demo.exe

try that one guys, let me know if it works asap so i can change the links everywhere..

It took a little while, but I downloaded it successfully. Time to go and play it ;)

Edit: I'm in Nidopoint Forest now, and i've only noticed a few little glitches.

In your bedroom, you can walk on parts of the bed and wall, and go through the door sideways.

The reduced vision from Nidopoint Forest does not go away when you leave. (Already pointed out, but whatever.)

I tried to heal my Nidoran with a Potion, it said "HP has been restored by 5 points" which was weird as he was in the red zone on three health. When I went back to the battle, his HP was still at three, and when I tried to use another Potion, it said "It won't have any effect."

Also, this isn't a glitch, but, pokemon can pass away? That's kinda sad but it's also a neat feature.

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
downloading. Ugh. have to wait 2 mins of rapidshare :/

You should use medifire, It doesn't have the innoying pro nonsense. Plus as far as I know, they don't delete your file if it's inactive.

---
This is the first game i've played using the starterkit (yeah, im slow) It's quite well done. Emulates the official systems and UI nicely.

Just some things, the bed's top portion can be walked on, It's right against the wall, so it looks like you can walk on the wall.

Whoa! a black person!
Looks like Brock isn't the only black person in the world anymore :D

--
not a fault of obsidian, but more a fault of nintendo, but this game is painfully slow. I know nintendo likes to make pokemon slow(probably to increase length) but it it possible to make things a bit faster (even the text is kinda slow) if not, when do you get the running shoes?

ill post more thoughts later.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2013
Very fun, my only suggestion would be to increase the frame rate a little bit.
Graphically, the game is absolutely wonderful. Sprites are well made, and the environments are never dull. My favorite part, hands down, is the interface. Simple and beautiful, like the game itself. The appeal to this game, at least in my opinion, lies in the simplicity, something that almost every developer here seems to despise. I for one love it.
As for gameplay, it's restrained, which I love. Games here promise way too much, they all end up feeling like a mish-mash of various features, which, let's be honest, are all just useless gimmicks.

Last edited:
Years
DW about all the bugs atomic :) i work with rpg aswell and its the biggest ***** sometimes lol, but im really enjoying.. ill give you some feed back soon

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Congrats on getting a beta out!

I played up until Nidopoint woods, where I... kind of lost interest after whiting out twice (why oh why did I pick the grass starter?). First impressions: The game is well-done and the scripts seem functional enough, nothing game-breaking, which is good. I saw one or two passability errors (namely on the fence outside your house) and I got the glitch where the shadow remains after you white out in Nidopoint woods and get taken back to the pokecenter.

Tile graphics are pleasant and original, nothing astounding really but a nice change of pace. You should throw in some more fogs/custom shadow effects. Those are cool.

Fakemon are nice, but their backsprites need a little fixing up. I like seeing B/W sprites for the non-fakemon, it's pretty cool.

Music could use a little variety.

All in all, though, it was nice but it wasn't really enough to hook me. I know Pokemon games start off slow, but... could you at least give us the running shoes earlier? It's not very entertaining, just going through the motions.

Also: The primary source of lag is after messages are displayed in battle, I think. I do believe that it's possible to cut that out and speed up attack animations, which I suggest you do in order to create a more streamlined experience.

Looking forward to more!

Atomic Reactor

Edit: I'm in Nidopoint Forest now, and i've only noticed a few little glitches.

In your bedroom, you can walk on parts of the bed and wall, and go through the door sideways.

The reduced vision from Nidopoint Forest does not go away when you leave. (Already pointed out, but whatever.)

I tried to heal my Nidoran with a Potion, it said "HP has been restored by 5 points" which was weird as he was in the red zone on three health. When I went back to the battle, his HP was still at three, and when I tried to use another Potion, it said "It won't have any effect."

Also, this isn't a glitch, but, pokemon can pass away? That's kinda sad but it's also a neat feature.

I can't even begin to understand why that glitch with nidorino would happen... I've never had an issure like that o_O
And yeah, in the future I'd like to implement a system where there's a 2-3% chance that your pokemon can die if it faints. (only for pokemon catchable in the wild though)

not a fault of obsidian, but more a fault of nintendo, but this game is painfully slow. I know nintendo likes to make pokemon slow(probably to increase length) but it it possible to make things a bit faster (even the text is kinda slow) if not, when do you get the running shoes?
You will get the shoes in the 2nd demo in the big city. So pretty much right away in the 2nd demo. And as for mediafire... i have an account.. but it doesn't show my files.. i dont understand whats wrong with it lol. otherwise id use it.

Very fun, my only suggestion would be to increase the frame rate a little bit.
Graphically, the game is absolutely wonderful. Sprites are well made, and the environments are never dull. My favorite part, hands down, is the interface. Simple and beautiful, like the game itself. The appeal to this game, at least in my opinion, lies in the simplicity, something that almost every developer here seems to despise. I for one love it.
As for gameplay, it's restrained, which I love. Games here promise way too much, they all end up feeling like a mish-mash of various features, which, let's be honest, are all just useless gimmicks.

Thank you for those kinda words :D

DW about all the bugs atomic :) i work with rpg aswell and its the biggest ***** sometimes lol, but im really enjoying.. ill give you some feed back soon

Sounds good man, hope you enjoy it :)

Congrats on getting a beta out!

I played up until Nidopoint woods, where I... kind of lost interest after whiting out twice (why oh why did I pick the grass starter?). First impressions: The game is well-done and the scripts seem functional enough, nothing game-breaking, which is good. I saw one or two passability errors (namely on the fence outside your house) and I got the glitch where the shadow remains after you white out in Nidopoint woods and get taken back to the pokecenter.

Tile graphics are pleasant and original, nothing astounding really but a nice change of pace. You should throw in some more fogs/custom shadow effects. Those are cool.

Fakemon are nice, but their backsprites need a little fixing up. I like seeing B/W sprites for the non-fakemon, it's pretty cool.

Music could use a little variety.

All in all, though, it was nice but it wasn't really enough to hook me. I know Pokemon games start off slow, but... could you at least give us the running shoes earlier? It's not very entertaining, just going through the motions.

Also: The primary source of lag is after messages are displayed in battle, I think. I do believe that it's possible to cut that out and speed up attack animations, which I suggest you do in order to create a more streamlined experience.

Looking forward to more!

Ill fix that fog error in the 2nd demo. To bad you quit in there though :/

I like the simple feel of the tiles haha

I agree on the backsprites

what do you mean variety? can you explain a tad more please :3

I'll try and figure out a different place to get the running shoes. I wanted to do it in the next demo, but well see haha.

And about the battle animations.. do you mean just make them go faster? or like.. what exactly do you mean?

To all of you that commented, thank you so much for the feedback, and the bug reports. I hope you guys have enjoyed the game. Remember, I'm not a pro, so I know it isn't perfect haha, but I'm trying XD
Thanks a lot for trying it out guys :)

fliyer

played more than 2000 hours-_-
Years
  • Age 30
  • S.D.
  • Seen Jul 3, 2016
gba cartridge

i just downloaded the demo and am about to play it and am wanting to know if their iss or will be in the future a way to put pokemon games made on rmxp onto a gba cartridge >.> i would love to play obsidian, uranium and xenotime on a gba one day <.<

Last edited:

aquakip

Years
I just finished the game and...really liked it. ^_^ I was hoping there'd be more! So when the credits were over, I was happy that I could still walk around and do stuff.

I found some passable tiles in the gym (love the idea of it being outdoors and stuff. Especially how there is a path down to the beach only if you start the battle in the certain spot. :) RARE CANDIES!!!)

I also found on Route 3a that, right in front of Palmbreeze (probably not the right name) the inside-corner-mountain tiles (how else is there to describe them?) are passable.

I liked getting a Nidorino via event. That was very cool.

Also, a boy says something about Lotad and Seedot being in the forest. Where? I looked forever and couldn't find a darling Lotad. :(

The forest was also very complicated. I loved how difficult it was to travel through it, however, at times it was very bothersome, with all the poison pokemon in the forest and the lack of antidotes I had. xD

And possibly make Andy a bit more difficult. He was too easy to beat with my lv 14 Spearow. :P

Other than that, and all the comments I made beforehand, I feel like this was a very very very good game. :D
-----
My Team:

Dartoad (Chomper) lv 19
Spearow (Riley) lv 14
Nidorino (Rex) lv 16

Caught the Nidorino as Nidoran, btw. I like raising my pokemon. :)

Atomic Reactor

@ fliyer : This is not a ROM, so it won't be possible to put on a cartridge, sorry D:

@ aquakip: Thanks for the feedback man :) I'm glad you enjoyed the demo. Despite all the bugs haha.
oh... and... look by the conjoined trees and pond ;)

A huge problem I had with the demo, was that my pokemon leveled up far to easily. I believe it's because the pokemon you fight are to high of levels. So, in the 2nd demo, I will be reducing all the levels of any pokemon you fight (including traienr battles)
and I will be adding an event for running shoes (i will add one close to the beginning, and one in the beginning of the 2nd part of the game, so people that are continuing from a previous game can just get them from the newer spot) (did that make sense?)

So yeah, I appreciate all the feedback guys. And yeah... keep tuning in for more updates! I should have an update within the next few days hopefully!

aquakip

Years
Awesome! I disliked not being able to run. However, it wasn't all bad. I got used to only walking. :)

And now I am going to go and catch a Lotad. :D

Nakuzami

Years
A huge problem I had with the demo, was that my pokemon leveled up far to easily. I believe it's because the pokemon you fight are to high of levels. So, in the 2nd demo, I will be reducing all the levels of any pokemon you fight (including traienr battles)
and I will be adding an event for running shoes (i will add one close to the beginning, and one in the beginning of the 2nd part of the game, so people that are continuing from a previous game can just get them from the newer spot) (did that make sense?)

I don't think it was the levels being too high, I just think it was because the forest was so long. Rather than reducing levels, you could always increase levels for later trainers and gym leaders, just to make it more challenging.

Also, I would love if you could get a Nidorina in Nidopoint forest just like you could the Nidorino.

And there weren't too many bugs, just the reduced sight glitch and the few passable tiles (plus that weird potion incident I had O.o')

Lastly, it kinda bugged me that a lot of the move animations were the same. Almost every move I saw used the Tackle animation, sometimes with a little bit added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back