• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemonatoms Fakemon and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Yes, he was being polite, but how about taking on board some of his critisism as well?
You'll never learn if you never try and take on critisism and use it. We aren't here to insult you, we're here to help you. As for the concepts, do you think Pokémon would've sold so much if Bulbasaur was just a dinosaur? No, you need specific ideas to merge together to make it a Pokémon. It is a pretty tricky process, I know from experience.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
There are basically two types of Pokemon design: colorful animals, and "what the heck is THAT?"

Oh, and just to clarify, I think Ice meant a more clear concept. Instead of "dragon", maybe "grass-type dragon made mostly of wood, with horns and wings replaced with bamboo shoots and willow trees" or something. Most people will sketch out a larger piece of concept art before starting on the sprite.

Last edited:

Pokemonatoms

something...
Years
Ok, Thanks for that guys, Oh and can i actually use that its a very good concept!?
thanks Ice and Chesu.

I had a play around and made the grass starter part robotic, its evoloution half and 3rd almost fully robotic!

Last edited:

Pokemonatoms

something...
Years
New Version of the dragon/tree/whatever-you-wanna-call-it-thing:

2z8x6on.png
I still have to add more distinct features but Awwell it's a start tell me what you guys think!

Last edited:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
It's STILL facing the wrong way, the shading is STILL wrong, you obviously never drew it out and planned it before spriting it...did you actually read anything on this thread?

Years
I assume he just looked at it not caring. Honestly. Fuse and Recolour first, so you get a good idea of what you're doing. And the concepts are barely Pokémon style. You need to learn how to smoothen the outlines as well.

Bzhuan

add a g to the end of my name
Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2018
真棒! you know how to make the outlines one pixel thick and shade them! That still doesn't help the fact that your sprites face the wrong direction, have mediocre poses, and are downright uninteresting.

I do not hope this post to be hurtful, it's just that they do not appeal to me, and would't really appeal to others either, just to let you know that.

Pokemonatoms

something...
Years
That was actually the BACKSPRITE if you didn't Notice it's pretty obvious that it's the backsprite!!! Also if you read my postcorrectly it was not finished !!!

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I think what they mean to say is that rather than making new scratch sprites which won't wow them, you should edit existing sprites that won't impress anyone, but will help you learn the proper style.

Pokemonatoms

something...
Years
Ok thanks Chesu, To everyone else you didn't say that so what am i supposed to learn!!!

anyway just before i read this i made a fakemon!
My first ghost type!
11k8vb4.jpg

Last edited:

Bzhuan

add a g to the end of my name
Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2018
If I have not mistaken, in your original post, you did not state that it was a backsprite. only generation five has the whole backsprite done, and their sprites are 96x96 pixels large. Your pixels are 64x64, so to make it a backsprite, it must be only the top half of the whateverthing. As for the ghost type, I see you are improving, but the smoke ruins it. The smoke on both sides are the same, but they have been rotated. if you are to make pokemon sprites, the left side must be different from the other. Also, unless you are making sprites for the gameboy color games, your sprites should not use white as a highlight. One more thing: please shade your outlines. they look better with them shaded.

Years
Horrible, horrible, horrible. Those don't even look like the official tiles, first time or not. Try looking up some tutorials or something to make those better. They aren't 3-d like the officials, shading is irregular, and the Pokemon Center is oddly shapped, the health cross is odd, and the P.C is horrible, and the door is too small. The windows on the Hut is too small and the door is too small as well.

Years
Spherical's right. That type of 'layer' shading is pretty basic but doesn't work well with tiles, it makes the tiles look 2D and more round than solid. I suggest looking at official tiles and study their style.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
Years
Well from the first glance, I'd say you should stop using black line to outline your sprites.
Second, your shading needs more work, and the sprites are bit too small...
IMO, you should try to mimic some of the real sprites to get a hang of it...

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
-ty-'s post was deleted for a rude comment, and had no crtis.

For a tip or crit from me, is work on your outlines to be 1 pixel thin. The outlines of your sprite looks thick, which is something you might want to watch out for.
I was not trying to be rude; conversely, I was simply trying to notify him that he needed to take in the critiques rather than ignore them, and say that " he thinks they are pretty good." With that being said, I would suggest that Pokemonatoms to listen to the critiques, especially since there are many people, who are experienced spriters might I add, who have told him that his sprites are not up to par - at all.

Years
People may have said his sprites are not up to par but they were also giving him some critique to fix him up, your comment implied that his sprites weren't worthy to be stolen and you didn't help him at all. Though I do agree with the idea of Pokemonatoms listening to critiques and following the good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back