• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Let the Catz say Zero! [DLTMS0 v4.0]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

I have no idea what I'm doing

thank you, New York, for being the only city with enough tall buildings for Spider Man to do his thing

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
tumblr_mrkf3kOzsi1s3lqvpo1_400.gif

One does not simply High-Five the Hulk

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

I'd give the music from the two series about the same score, both used their OST extremely well in places. You could easily listen through them both without getting bored.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

Shame that being a VN it will automatically be bad. Visual Novels are the pleb tier media, yup.

Stained glass style pic towards the bottom of that page looks glorious, if only they posted a bigger version.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

I...can't really tell if you're serious. But I'm waiting for them to translate R;N, 5pb does these things well, and S;G's VN was so good that I'm not going to make the same mistake again.

Also, what I said about the OST was butt talk. Though, if things keep up like this, I fear that I may develop a negative bias for a game I'm really excited about :/

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

I'm generalizing an awful lot but good writers tend not to write visual novels. The medium is even more ''otaku'' targeted than light novels thus the works are stuffed full of tropes. Steins;Gate is probably one of better plot orientated ones but if the anime manged to give me the dating sim vibe I'd hate to thing what the VN would do.

Picture, text and music can work well but you'll often find the art is trash and the music is horribly repetitive, even if it is a piece you originally liked.

So yeah. Books, film, song, anime, tv shows and pretty much anything else you can think of would be ahead of visual novels for me in terms of storytelling and enjoyment. There are undoubtedly some that I would enjoy but I don't fancy wading through the bad ones in this medium, at least not yet.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

I got half way through the first feito/sutei naito route before it got too much, I hear the other two are much better but still. Type-Moon/Nasu writing is just so dry, long winded and even pretentious. On the odd occasion the story actually feels like it might get going you're undoubtedly seconds away from the main selling point of the series, an ugly sex scene. Add on the unattractive art style and you have something something truly shocking, if it wasn't babby's first Jap story game back in 05 I don't think you'd hear about it at all. Adaptation was bad but I still enjoyed it more than the source.

Even their best series, Kara no Kyōkai, isn't good.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Hm...I see your point, and even agree with you to an extent. I've come across a number of LNs that had ear bleeding music or terribad art. I think that it comes from the fact that their work probably wouldn't be accepted in a normal novel market and, in terms of the normal otaku's interests, they think that visual stimulation will be a lot more attractive than LNs, which are filled with words and don't allow for user interaction. Or something.

Though, in Steins;Gate's case, it felt more real as a Visual Novel...and I think that's the real problem. I love the anime and all, but it's clear that the studio set out to make an anime rather than...well, Steins;Gate. 5pb was VERY specific about how it wanted to portray the relationships between characters, often making them more complex and inconspicuous than they are presented in the anime. Regardless, they were all human emotions for human characters, and they had the freedom to make the characters human and develop the characters at their leisure because the game had no time limit and knew that the player was in for the long haul. The studio that handled the anime, however, had much, MUCH less time, and decided that it would be better to instead make the relationships far more on the surface and, in some cases, generic (this was largely the case with Makise Kurisu, whose role as the annoyed intelligent member was basically changed to the tsuntsun blushing intelligent member that said "pervert" a lot). Plus, a lot of the game was cut out (which was inevitable), so quite a bit of character development was left out (especially in Mayuri's case) as was an incredible amount of character interaction.

That's my spiel, I guess. In short, the VN was far more human, less cliched, and the anime could have been handled better. The Dating Sim vibe doesn't really exist there, though I expected that it would, especially after I found out that there's an ending for each female LabMem. But they handled the endings unexpectedly well, and they weren't just "X falls in love with Okabe, the end." Rather, the VN knew what it was trying to do and what it wasn't, and did well not to conclude all that the game tried to develop into a dry love solution.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

If Mayuri and her relationship with Okabe had been developed I would have cared so much more when bad things started happening to her, just thinking about how much better it could have been annoys me. If what you say is true and the VN characters aren't just meme spouting masturbatory aids then I might well give the VN a playthrough one day.

There were things quite clearly left out of the R;N anime adaptation but it just didn't bother me. I guess that was the annoyance nullifying power that is having fun.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years

It is almost midnight in Sweden, you should curl up with some hot chocolate and watch some toons or a film. 'tis what I'll be doing in an hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back