• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Colosseum a spin-off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sceptile King

Just came back from a break!
Years
People have classified Pokemon Colosseum as a spin-off for years, but what makes it different from the main games so much that it is a spin-off rather than main series game? Sure, it has shadow pokemon, and it dosn't have gym badges, but the Cipher Admins act as semi-gym leaders, and the rematches in Realgam Tower act as the elite 4, with Nascour/Evice acting as the champion. So, what is your take on this discussion? I'll list the pros and cons that support each sides

Evidence for Main Series:
-You walk through towns and progress through, like any other main series game.
-You obtain the Master Ball at the end of the main story
-Ability to pick one of three Johto Starter pokemon at the beginning (other two obtainable at the end of the game)
-Before Emerald, this game was needed to get the Johto pokemon not obtainable in FR/LG and R/S
-Same battle format as the regular games (only all battles are double)
-Able to battle with the 3rd gen games. (And trade!)

Evidence against it being Main Series:
-Shadow Pokemon are abnormal, and not in any other pokemon main series game (unless you were to count XD)
-it is in 3D, not 2d, like all other pokemon games through gen 5
-you have 2 starter pokemon
-only 48(i think) pokemon are avalible to be snagged/captured
-starter pokemon are lv. 25/26 respectively
-you capture other trainers pokemon
-you can't catch wild pokemon
-not a GameFreak game

So, guys if there is anything i missed, please tell me, something false i added? tell me, and i will fix ASAP
What is your take? tell me your view on this argument!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I count it as a spin off for the main factor that it's not GameFreak's game. It's Genius Sorority's. I factor in the other reasons you mentioned why it's not a main game as well, but the developer is a serious factor. It's just a spin-off that is the closest to a main series game that we'll ever get, as well as its sequel.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Beside what Sydian said, the main factor is Pokémon catching.
All main games play on "Catch 'em all" factor and since you cannot catch wild Pokémon in Colosseum, it cannot be considered as main game...
Even though Colosseum pretty much beats the main games in almost everything :D

Years
Today, I would say it's not a spin off but just a forgotten game because a lot of people say Pokemon BDSP and Legend Arceus are not spin off.
If they believe that it's because, the hype for these games was too huge, so people focus a lot these games.
In 2003-2005, only the TV could bring some hype but it wasn't enough to bring a lot of players.
Today, Pokemon Sun and Moon exist and they have no Gym Leader, but people won't say it's a spin off because it's made by Game Freak.
Pokemon BDSP is mostly a remake but is it a spin off ? Because the editor is not Game Freak.
It's really idiot to factor who made the game. Because today, different game creators make games for Nintendo.
I'm sure if a remake of Pokemon XD/Colloseum is announced on Youtube and other platforms, people will get hype. A lot of people will care about it.
So people will think it's not a spin off because it's very similar to traiditional Pokemon games.
You would ask me why Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire are still very popular and famous these days? It's because it's easier to have access to these games, they're faster than Colloseum and XD and they are in 2D (until 5g generation). Also their cost was cheaper!
A lot of people disliked these games and forgot about them because they got stuck in Pokemon Colloseum due to difficulty and original gameplay. I can't agree it's a spin off.
I think Pokémon Colloseum and Pokémon XD were released way too early. The Internet has turned the newer games upside down and they have much more visibility than in 2003-2005.
There are still some youtubers who are still uninformed even if they are Pokémon fan to believe that every Pokémon game is made by Game Freak, they forget the existence of Genius Sonority, Chunsoft and others.
Also, a lot of people don't know the existence of Pokemon Colloseum and XD.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Classifies it as a spin-off, for the purposes of proper subforum. Refers to games like Red/Blue as "core series" based on the developers' word. Saw fit to include Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Legends: Arceus among them. Generally sticks to core series games in Gaming Central. (Realizes that to be part of the discussion, of course.)

Acknowledges the odd middle zone for Colosseum, XD, and Stadium. Retains several Pokemon mechanics. May not be included due to the aspect of catching wild Pokemon. Shrugs.

Closes this thread due to the last post being from 2013. Asks users to avoid reviving threads that have not been posted in for the last three years or so. (Is not a hard limit. Varies by moderator a bit too.) Feel free to create a new thread on this topic in Spinoffs and Mobile Games. May be interested in a thread about the idea of a Colosseum/XD remake here, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back