• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
You should proabably include Groudon and Kyogre too since they are the Weather Trio. Maybe there would be a fight event in-game and Rayquaza would appear to solve the problem from being awoken by the player like in Pokemon Emerald. Also will Rayquaza be in a Sky Pillar type location?
I already quoted to this as a Visitor Message but could point out so no one else starts wondering the same thing, Groudon and Kyogre won't likely be part of the game unless they're, for some reason, replaced with existing legendary pokemon.

And here is sort of a progress update!

I've begun to create the game further and have currently finished (as of now) the map of Area 117 (which is located east of Brightbulb City). I haven't mapped in almost two months though (and didn't even do it regularly when I've made it this far) so I'd like to know what you guys think about this map so far.

area117.png

For the ones wondering, there is a connection downwards at the point where there is tall grass and there is a "secret" forest in the eastern part of the map. And by request of !MaX!, there is going to be a day-care in the middle of the map if I get it working of course.
*The day care script is mostly assembly and may require some adjustments but I should be able to use most of the code unaltered (or possibly, 100% of it).

miksy91

Years
Update following another!

Here is a small video you can watch. As you can see, it's preview of a script in the same route as above, Area 117. At this state, this script is still missing dialogue that the girl tells you before she leaves to Brightbulb City. Other than that, it's finished.

maxeneize

fire master
Years
I usually lurk this forum but I don't remember if I have ever commented here. I just logged in because your hack is worth it. I just wanna let you know that you have another supporter here. Continue with your excellent work. Looking forward to the final realease so I can play a hack of my favourite series, the g/s/c one.

Regards, Maxi

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2022
wow i don't see many well developed old school rom hacks like silver and gold keep it up
man 16 gyms what a challenge!!!

miksy91

Years
I usually lurk this forum but I don't remember if I have ever commented here. I just logged in because your hack is worth it. I just wanna let you know that you have another supporter here. Continue with your excellent work. Looking forward to the final realease so I can play a hack of my favourite series, the g/s/c one.

Regards, Maxi
Thanks a lot :)

wow i don't see many well developed old school rom hacks like silver and gold keep it up
man 16 gyms what a challenge!!!
Thanks, actually there won't be that many gyms in there. Mainly because I don't a reason in implementing so many - around 9 or 10 will do.

By the way, both of you should try out the new beta (I don't think Beta 4 will be up in a long time). The game isn't made to focus on collecting gym badges or anything like that, beating gym leaders is often more like a possible way to train your pokemon.

sethiey

Probably editing a video
Years
Wow loving the hack, just glued to it! loving the RPG style and just the over all feel of the game, the plot is good and easy to get into/understand. If you could PM i was hoping to do a Lets play/walkthrough an i was just wondering if thats alright. Keep up the great work!

~Seth

miksy91

Years
Another (sort of an) update !

So Seth here has begun his Let's Play of Dark Future and I've got to admit that he knows how to talk. Check out the first part of the LP here:

Otherwise, I haven't gotten anything done this week because I've been off for a short vacation but have now returned so expect more updates sooner or later.

Other than that, Dark Future has been chosen in the HOTQ contest so go and vote for it if you think it deserves to win (not trying to push anyone to, Crystaldust and Snakewood are pretty good hacks themselves too).

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Wow. Great progress with this hack, I remember it from ages ago.

D'you mind if I ask how far the game goes? 'To X City' doesn't really mean much to me, and I didn't see any other indicators anywhere. Just wondering if I should play it now or wait for completion. Glad to know there's a GSC hack of this quality out there. :)

Roareye

propic (c) piekielnatruskawa
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 18, 2021
To be honest, I really love 2nd generation games. That's the main reason I'm still checking out Skeetendo every once in a while. Also, the storyline reminds me A LOT of my favourite handheld console game series, especially this line here:

"You embark on an epic adventure in search for things called Elemental Orbs. Not much is known about these orbs but one thing is for certain, they were the reason for The Crisis one thousand years ago."
(Bonus points if you can guess what this game is!)

This is definitely something I'm going to play. Knowing that there are still people loving the first two generations and their respective games fills my heart with joy.

Great job!

@DOWN:
Indeed, nice guess! The storyline was something that made me spend many days playing this game endlessly. The Djinn system was also really interesting, and the psynergy effects were just brilliant for a GBA game. The newest one for the DS platform is a different story, though.

Last edited:

Snakebyte

About time, I'd say...
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Is that a Golden Sun reference? I only played that very briefly and I couldn't really get into it because that gameplay style hasn't aged well for me, so I'm honestly not sure.

Roareye

propic (c) piekielnatruskawa
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 18, 2021
Wow... just... wow.

I'm on Isaac right now, and all I can say is the following:

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

I was really looking for an experience similar to Prism, and I've found A LOT more. I love the RPG-styled games, and this hack didn't dissapoint me at all. I love the scripted battles (and their difficulty level), the storyline, the map, and pretty much everything. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the quality of the backsprite, but that's really nothing compared to that overwhelming experience I've just had thanks to this damn good hack.

Please, keep it going. It would really be a shame if you stopped working on such a marvelous piece. This is everything a bored 2nd gen fan would dream of.

Thank you!

miksy91

Years
"You embark on an epic adventure in search for things called Elemental Orbs. Not much is known about these orbs but one thing is for certain, they were the reason for The Crisis one thousand years ago."
(Bonus points if you can guess what this game is!)
Strangely enough, I have never played Golden Sun games although I pretty much know what they're like :D
If I'd have to refer to one game with this sentence though, it sounds to me it could be from Chrono Trigger or something...
As you've probably noticed this far, I've taken a lot of ideas from other RPGs just like CT, Final Fantasies, Kingdom Hearts (book), maybe a little bit from Dragonball? etc.

i Personly love old gen games. keep rocking!
shadowpalkiagif.gif
I will :)

Looks amazing! I think I will play it :D
Get on with it then ;)

Wow... just... wow.

I'm on Isaac right now, and all I can say is the following:

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

I was really looking for an experience similar to Prism, and I've found A LOT more. I love the RPG-styled games, and this hack didn't dissapoint me at all. I love the scripted battles (and their difficulty level), the storyline, the map, and pretty much everything. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the quality of the backsprite, but that's really nothing compared to that overwhelming experience I've just had thanks to this damn good hack.

Please, keep it going. It would really be a shame if you stopped working on such a marvelous piece. This is everything a bored 2nd gen fan would dream of.

Thank you!
What about the backsprite? It's already at its maximum size but could have been drawn better. I've got to mention that I didn't draw it though and do like it myself. It has a lighter palette for Beta 4 btw (already implemented in the version I'm "expanding").

Thanks a lot for the feedback! You know, there are those who pretty much ignore what people have got to tell you but sounds like you're one of the others who want to know what's going on (and who I'm also making this hack for). I've always wanted to create something unique and comments such as this one motivate to finish this hack even more and more (not like I wouldn't finish it one day anyways as I've planned to) :)

Anyway, the HOTQ competition is still going on so go to give your vote for Dark Future if you loved the gameplay just like this guy here did ;)

Also, nice to see that this hack is getting more and more attention because of that competition even though it probably won't win it.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
voted for your hack, and hopefully you can finish it soon :)

miksy91

Years
voted for your hack, and hopefully you can finish it soon :)
Thanks, it's going to take a long time to finish the hack though. If I were you, I'd see how Beta 3.1 is and wait for Beta 4 when you've finished playing it (there is really nothing to lose, expect for the fact you might be anxious the play the next release after finishing Beta 3). Realistic goal for now would be having the final version available sometime during the year 2014. It may come earlier but of course also later if I won't have that much time in my hands to work with this hack.

miksy91

Years
So now that the competition has been going on, by looking at the replies in that thread, I've realized that most people don't feel like playing this hack because it remains boring even by reading what's written in the main post. I knew the original screenshots looked unexciting but I never wanted to spoil much either but now, felt like updating the screenshots anyhow. So most of the original ones (which were also a bit outdated) were removed and replaced with these new ones that you can view by opening the following spoiler. I don't want to sound selfish or anything but Dark Future deserves more attention than it's currently getting and I want people here to see how good it really is.

Spoiler:

Other than that, I've gotten quite a lot further since finishing Beta 3.1 and I'm putting my finishing touches with the town after Brightbulb City. Interestingly enough, there is no pokemon gym in this town but something far more entertaining to be seen. There is a big house in the northern part of the town where you'll find a staircase leading Underground (name of the area). The first room in there uses same kind of tileset as gate houses do and has a locked door leading somewhere. The people who live in this house tell that the door in the basement has been locked for ages and believe that it may never be opened again. The player might be able to help them out later in the game though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2018
Hey I am having trouble with the game crashing after you put your name in. I am using visual boy advance. an error message pops up saying unknown opcode fc at 8019. how can i fix this. I am relativity new to using rom hacks

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
My first guess is you patched the wrong version of the ROM, or it became corrupted. Try redownloading from another source and repatching and make sure it's the correct version in the event more than one exists. Redownload the IPS as well in case that's the problem.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2018
Hey I tried changing the rom and re downloading the patch. what emulator do you recommend

Back